PDA

View Full Version : Metropolis

rhett
07-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Well, I finally rented the recent anime title, Metropolis, and I thought it was an excellent film. Admittedly, I have not seen more than a handful or so of anime films, I must say I was extremely impressed with this one. The visuals were downright amazing and expansive, with things happening in every portion of the frame. The characters were rich and very interesting, if not overly original. The movie really seemed to borrow from a lot of American films (Fritz Lang's Metropolis obviously, but also A.I., Carrie, Dr. Strangelove and Blade Runner to name a few) but that to me gave it some of its charm. The score was a real treat, infusing the picture with some classy jazz music amidst a chaotic and rebellious background.

The film was grossly overlooked last year IMO, and it is a shame it did not do better than it did. I now wish it had at least gotten a nomination for perhaps Best Foreign Film, or more suitably, Best Animated Feature. I mean really, this movie could stink to high hell and still deserve a spot on the nominations list above Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.

So what did the rest of you guys think of this one?

Paff
07-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by rhett
The movie really seemed to borrow from a lot of American films (Fritz Lang's Metropolis

That was an American film? Man, what DO they teach you at those weird Canadian film schools?

haha. Anyway, yes, Metropolis is an absolutely fabulous film. I got to see this on the big screen, and the visuals were just outstanding. I've picked up the DVD but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I like that the DVD is in DTS 5.1 Japanese.

Anime is a great art form. Hmmm...there might even be an Anime review coming soon...

rhett
07-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Oops, I added Metropolis in after I listed the rest of the films, my bad.:cool: The DVD is actually pretty cool, and the DTS track is just amazing, one of the best I've ever heard. The mini-DVD second disc is pretty nifty as well. I wish I could have seen this movie on the big screen though, it sure is a landmark in computer visuals.

Bring on that anime review Paff, I'm looking forward to it!

Jog
07-16-2002, 10:55 PM
I really enjoyed Metropolis too... and this is coming from someone who's seen too many anime over the years! The best part is how the movie honestly doesn't do anything new... but does it so well that it all SEEMS new... and of course it is a visual delight!

Best part of the extras: director Rintaro claiming that he is afraid that original author Osamu Tezuka will haunt him as a ghost for making the movie!

mutleyhyde
07-17-2002, 10:29 AM
Fritz Lang rocks, and I can't wait for the Metropolis restored print to make it to dvd, or, hopefully, my city. It's not on the schedule yet, but I can't believe with four arthouse theaters here, we're not gonna get it.

Anyway, I have been wanting to see the anime too. It only played for a week at this one theater, but I think someone else picked it up. It seem like one that definitely should be seen on the big screen.

DVD Connoisseur
07-17-2002, 08:27 PM
...as I'm trying to expand the Asian Horror section to encompass different genre, this is right at home over at that forum....

jeffschmidt
07-18-2002, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by rhett
...or more suitably, Best Animated Feature. I mean really, this movie could stink to high hell and still deserve a spot on the nominations list above Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.

I'm getting off-topic here, but I have a feeling that this category is going to be a perpetual disappointment, with only the big family films getting nominated. C'mon, where the hell was Final Fantasy? It was a technological wet-dream (regardless of the story's quality).

rhett
07-18-2002, 07:58 AM
Add Waking Life to the overlooked list of the year as well. There were too many good animation films out there this year for slight entertainment like Jimmy Neutron to get the nomination.

soundjam
07-25-2002, 06:09 AM
The region one dvd of Metropolis is cut. Its missing a picture at the end of the movie that changes the ending quite a bit. Id love to link to it...but i dont have a clue where the picture is.

mutleyhyde
07-25-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by soundjam
The region one dvd of Metropolis is cut. Its missing a picture at the end of the movie that changes the ending quite a bit. Id love to link to it...but i dont have a clue where the picture is.

Dang, that sucks. Maybe I should have gone to see it the one week it was here. :( But then, the American theater release probably omitted the scene as well. Bastids.

Paff
07-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Yeah Hyde, that wasn't in the US release either. And I wouldn't let that keep you from getting the region 1 disc, it's pretty damn nice

mutleyhyde
07-25-2002, 10:47 AM
Yeah Paff, it looks too good to pass up. If it's just a missing shot, a picture, then I can probably live with it, but if it's an actual scene, that would blow. :(