PDA

View Full Version : Sleepaway Camp cuts???

McBride_01
07-17-2002, 11:18 PM
I have heard that the Anchor Bay disc has some stuff cut out of this film that was in the original Media VHS. I have the old Media VHS and was wondering what the cuts in the AB version were. Thanks in advance!

gunner
07-18-2002, 12:02 AM
1- Bare Asses Running Down The Dock

2- Partial Shot Of Snake Coming Out Of Kenny's Mouth

3- Partial Shot At The End Of The Scene Where Mel Gives The Kids Hell For Throwing A Water Balloon At Angela.

5- Shot Of Judy Saying "Same To You" To Ricky After He Flips Her The Finger During The Capture The Flag Game.

6- One Shot When Mel Finds Megs Dead Body In The Abandoned Cabin.

Also I Should Note, The Sound Effect Is Different When Mozhart's Face Makes Contact With Paul's Ass Cheeks During The Mind Over Matter Trick.

ekent
07-18-2002, 01:00 AM
The wierd thing is that the director took no notice of the cuts during the commentary.
Just goes to show you that
A) We are actually huge dorks that notice stuff that the director himself did not
B) Keep the VHS of you want to retain the full cut

It sucks too because everytime I see those scenes, I think of how they were cut. They will never be restored because it is now un needed and too late.

Wez4555
07-18-2002, 01:27 AM
i wish they would of at least fixed the first one in the box set. since is got a diffrent cover..i mean might as well..

Agent Z
07-18-2002, 07:16 AM
The wierd thing is that the director took no notice of the cuts during the commentary.

Actually, director Robert Hiltzik DID notice the cuts in the print used by Anchor Bay for the SLEEPAWAY CAMP release.....even though he didn't voice the cuts during the commentary. Robert chose to mention these cuts after the fact, one can guess so as to not criticize the final print in the final hour.....remember that the audio commentary was under such time constraints that they barely were able to pull it out (check the making of DVD commentary at http://www.angelfire.com/retro/officialsleepaway2/scdvd1.html ) in the last hour.

Robert has his own personal copy of SLEEPAWAY CAMP, which he allowed to be used for the Alamo Drafthouse showing last year. For those who missed that outing, SLEEPAWAY CAMP will get another big screen (uncut, natch!) showing at the FLASHBACK WEEKEND in Chicago in early August!

FLASHBACK WEEKEND! (http://www.flashbackweekend.com/)

John
07-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Robert has his own personal copy of SLEEPAWAY CAMP, which he allowed to be used for the Alamo Drafthouse showing last year.

Man did I want to go to this when it rolled into Austin. It sold out so quickly, I didn't have a chance. I did get to go the Savini Festifal though. I'm looking forward to the drafthouse doing something like this again.

KillerCannabis
07-18-2002, 10:32 PM
I hate cuts as much as the next guy, but at least these weren't essential to the story. Aside from the snake coming out of the mouth, which I wanted to see again, the other cuts dont ruin the flick. But AB should have done the right thing and tried to release the movie uncut in the new box set.

Loced Out Demon
07-18-2002, 10:42 PM
all i have to say is. why cut it? if it wasnt cut before... thats pretty lame. maybe anchor bay has to pay more for rights to the uncut compared to what they have to pay for the cut version

laze
07-18-2002, 11:04 PM
I think it's more a matter of finding the proper quality elements for the mastering. They worked from the best quality that they had available, which happened to be a cut version (for whatever reason).

They were definitely minor cuts... I think the hell raised after the release just serves as an example of how us fanboys can place more importance on a few seconds of manbutt being cut from a movie than the actual experience of an old-school slasher getting the grand treatment on DVD.

Wez4555
07-19-2002, 12:40 AM
laze is right. i asked michael from AB that in the chat last sunday. i asked why sleepaway camp 1 and 2 wherent uncut (didnt say 3 cause it has gore in the extras). he said they used the best print avalible..and then found all the extra stuff and it was too late. im not going to bitch too much. the whole reason to watch the movie all the way threw is for one of the most shocking endings in the history of any movie. yes it would of been nice but i think AB getting sleepaway camp rights and makin them uncut is alot harder than say parramount releasing friday the 13th uncut. again AB at least delivered extras (better on parts 2 and 3) and still put them above parramount and F13..for now at least. i can forgive AB because for the most part they deliver the best and listen to the fans..even tho they do rehash sometimes. parramount just shits on everyone and only cares about their money. intill i start seeing solid releases from paramount im still going to hate them. sure the F13th films for the most part have good A/V but i think they could of made them uncut or at least put a few extras.

Loced Out Demon
07-19-2002, 12:42 AM
Kool, well quality is always important 2.

soundjam
07-25-2002, 06:16 AM
thought i would jump in and say....the ending to Sleepaway 1 is badass :D

Cydeous
08-01-2002, 01:07 PM
I just watched <B>Sleepaway Camp</B> for the second time (the first was when it first came out on video). I have to admit that I didn't think there was anything special about the movie until the ending, which was creepy. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it but I just wondered why so many people seemed to like this movie. Anyway, I'm curious about parts 2 and 3. Are they good? Which is the best in the series? Is the boxset worth picking up?

laze
08-01-2002, 10:53 PM
I enjoyed all three movies, for different reasons.

The first SLEEPAWAY CAMP has that classic 80s slasher feel to it... plus my friend's uncle was in it. :) (Dan Tursi, who played the father that got run over by the boat in the beginning.)

The second two are just kind of goofy fun with enough gore to keep things interesting. 2 and 3 are pretty interchangable if you ask me.

So, to answer your question, the first is the best, but 2 and 3 are worth checking, too, if you don't mind some low-brow humor with your gore.

Fistfuck
08-02-2002, 04:27 AM
Bare asses are cool..

betterdan
08-02-2002, 05:42 AM
But not boys asses eeewwww

Agent Z
08-05-2002, 01:00 PM
I just watched Sleepaway Camp for the second time (the first was when it first came out on video). I have to admit that I didn't think there was anything special about the movie until the ending, which was creepy. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it but I just wondered why so many people seemed to like this movie.

I will admit that SLEEPAWAY CAMP is the one film that qualifies as a definite "guilty pleasure" for me! I could list the shortcomings of SLEEPAWAY CAMP like the grocery list for a family of twenty ( borderline acting, poor production values, plot holes...er...craters, telegraphed-murders, and so on), but SC is a film that manages to work in spite of itself. From the memorable characters (Aunt Martha, Artie, and Mel for instance) to some of the craziest dialogue ("Why...I believe there's a whole bag! Why....I'm almost sure of it." :D ), SC has the charm of an Afterschool Special gone really, really wrong. And while most of the acting is barely passable, I always thought that Felissa Rose brought a nice vulnerability to Angela that made her character easier to root for.....and the ending that much more shocking! As for that ending...what else can I say that hasn't already been said? Even if you know the identity of the killer beforehand (and it's pretty obvious), the ending still delivers a wallop! I honestly can't think of any other film that had an ending that just left me floored like SC did! Some people complained about how SC ends without offering a nice, neat resolution, but I thought the credits rolled at the right time.....I mean, where would you take the storyline after THAT? And because of that great ending, I didn't see what ANY sequel would add to the SLEEPAWAY CAMP story, so I have had no interest in seeing the two direct-to-video cash-in sequels......or the forthcoming RETURN TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP. :(