PDA

View Full Version : Last Man on Earth DVD - finally in a nice print!

mac-hammer-fan
07-18-2002, 02:06 PM
You can buy the DVD-box set "Vincent Price and Friends" for less than $15 at www.deepdiscountdvd.com

This 3-Dvd boxed set features three of his classic films, "THE LAST MAN ON EARTH" (widescreen edition), "HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL," and "THE BAT." It also features two films starring Price's close friends Boris Karloff in "BRITISH INTELLIGENCE" and Basil Rathbone in "THE MAGIC SWORD."
A great buy!
Use this link http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FPG001005

:)

mutleyhyde
07-18-2002, 02:36 PM
Not to curb your enthusiasm Mac, but have you read a review on this or something? How do you know it's a good print? It looks to me to be just another Madacy-esque company putting this one out, especially at $15 for 5 movies. But then, being otherwise unavailable, I can understand how one might not be able to wait. It'd be cool if they were good transfers though. I've already got three of the movies here on Roan dvds, but would definitely like Last Man, and The Magic Sword would be a cool bonus. It's always cool to see Basil Rathbone outside of his Holmes character. http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Diamondhead
07-18-2002, 03:18 PM
If you check in your local Best Buys Diamond has re-released House on Haunted Hill/Last Man on Earth. It has the same cover as the original issue but has a banner across the top that says WIDESCREEN EDITION. Last Man was mastered from the Image laser disc and looks very nice. I paid $4.99 for my copy.

mutleyhyde
07-18-2002, 06:46 PM
You know, I forgot Diamond had that. I guess it is "otherwise available". :)

So did they release it pan&scam before and this is a new thing, or was it always widescreen?

mac-hammer-fan
07-18-2002, 10:02 PM
I know it is a good print because I bought the DVD box set and watched the movie "Last Man on Earth"!
I checked the other movies too.

mutleyhyde
07-18-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by mac-hammer-fan
I know it is a good print because I bought the DVD box set and watched the movie "Last Man on Earth"!
I checked the other movies too.

Ah-ha! The mystery solved! I didn't realize you already had the set. Coolness. :D

dolemite
07-19-2002, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure but wasn't this announced to be part of those cheap MGM Midnite Movie DVDs?

KillerCannabis
07-19-2002, 09:37 AM
I would pick up this 3-pack, but if these are coming out as MM, maybe I'll have to wait. I love classics. And I could use some more good Price in my collection.

mac-hammer-fan
07-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by dolemite
I'm not sure but wasn't this announced to be part of those cheap MGM Midnite Movie DVDs?
The print in the Box set "Vincent Price and Friends" is an MGM version.
You see MGM's kitten at the start of the movie.

Nos4ah2
07-23-2002, 09:14 PM
re: MGM Print....

Really??!?!

Weird...

Just HOW nice is this print?

Is it better than the existing Diamond disc?
Is it worth spending $the money on the other movies, that I don't have any real desire to purchase?
And is this disc available anywhere else, without the boxed set?

Thanks!

mac-hammer-fan
07-28-2002, 06:16 PM
The print of "Last Man of Earth" (double bill with House on a Haunted Hill) is perhaps the worst transfer I have ever bought on DVD
The MGM print in the "Vincent Price and Friends" box set is really hundred times better.
No scratches or spots. A clear picture.
Avoid the Diamond DVD of this one like the plague.

mcchrist
07-29-2002, 12:15 AM
The print of "Last Man of Earth" (double bill with House on a Haunted Hill) is perhaps the worst transfer I have ever bought on DVD
The MGM print in the "Vincent Price and Friends" box set is really hundred times better.
No scratches or spots. A clear picture.
Avoid the Diamond DVD of this one like the plague.

I had not heard of this box. Really, the only thing I want from it IS Last Man on Earth, I've seen the rest before and I doubt I'd ever watch them.

mac-hammer-fan
07-29-2002, 07:58 PM
For only 14 bucks you get the movie that you want in a nice print. It can't go wrong.
Use this link http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FPG001005

Behemoth
08-06-2002, 10:22 AM
Is this box exclusive to Deep Discount DVD, or can it be bought elsewhere too?

mac-hammer-fan
08-06-2002, 10:57 PM
It seems to be available only at DeepDiscountDVD.
I checked Amazon, DVD Planet and DVD Empire and the box set is not in their database.

jscott
08-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey Mac-Hammer-Fan,
How does the print used for The Magic Sword look?