PDA

View Full Version : A Better Tomorrow (1986)

Fistfuck
07-18-2002, 08:34 PM
I recently rented this movie based on a picture in one of my film school books. I knew absolutely nothing about the series and enjoyed the film mostly. I think I need to view it again though because I was watching it with my girlfriend's family and couldn't concentrate fully.

Does anybody have any comments or views on this series of films or any other Hong Kong gangland/John Woo movies to recommend?

DVD Connoisseur
07-18-2002, 08:40 PM
Good timing...the Asian Horror section will soon be expanding to cover the John Woo movies and "bullet ballet" films.

Must see Woo films include The Killer and Hard Boiled. Both are classic movies and really must be seen to be believed. I'd definitely also see A Better Tomorrow, Part 2 as it's an excellent movie with one of the best gunfights I've ever witnessed. Frenetic stuff indeed.

DefJeff
07-19-2002, 01:51 AM
The Killer is the best action film EVER. EVER. Everything about this movie is great. espeically the music

i realllllly wish i had the Criterion edition of this dvd. but instead i have the Fox Lorber one, which i am still happy with, since i love this movie so much.

its my 2nd favorite movie of all time (beaten only by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)

Trout
07-19-2002, 02:53 AM
I miss the old John Woo.

2D4EVER
07-19-2002, 06:09 AM
I want the old John Woo back also but I don't know if it'll happen. Definately see ABT2. It's a bit slow in the middle but it's worth it just to see the end. It's really awesome. Death everywhere.:D Don't bother with ABT3 though. It's shit.

Later all...

mutleyhyde
07-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Add to the growing list of must sees A Bullet in the Head, but see Hardboiled and The Killer first. They're more your action fantasys, where Bullet in the Head is "semi-autobigraphical" (no clue to what extent, but I've read that often) and gets more serious than the "Violence Ballets". Don't get me wrong, Bullet is violent as fuck, it just deals with the historical politics and cultural upheaval of Vietnam.

Also, don't stop at Woo, as Chow Yun Fat's non-Woo work is a must. You must see at least these...

Peace Hotel
City on Fire
God of Gamblers (God of Gamblers 2 is okay, but the first kicks ass)

2D4EVER
07-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Yeah Bullet in the Head is great also. Fairly sad movie.;) If you like John Woo movies you might also wanna check out Kitano's movies if you already haven't. Just don't see Woo's Once a Theif (US version). The real one is great but the US version (1996 as opposed to the original which was made in 1986 I think) is really shit. I bought it when it first came out thinking it was the old one. But I knew $9 was too good a deal. It's the shitty updated for american audiences version. Garbage. Stick with Woo's older movies. Hard Boiled is good but The Killer is better so I recommend seeing that one first. And if you're into action I recommend Shiri and Time and Tide. Although I've seen Time and Tide 2 times and I'm still not sure of the story.:p It's got a lot of nice action scenes (that setup with the grenades all over the ground was awesome) but I thought the story was eh. Also try Fudoh!!!:D It's got some fucked up shit in it but I really like the movie. I was just a bit disappointed in the ending...or lack thereof.

Later all...

mutleyhyde
07-19-2002, 05:27 PM
It's the shitty updated for american audiences version.

More to the point, it's the shitty made for television Canadian production. It's actually a very professional production, but does cmpletely lack any of the integrity of the original, due to the acting. It could have easily been an episode of VIP or something, lol.

Paff
07-19-2002, 06:38 PM
I suppose I'm gonna have to give Woo's HK films another look. I saw A Better Tomorrow, and felt it got boring. I was glued to my seat at the beginning, but by the end, I'm thinking "oh....another gunfight...oh....everyone's dying...yawn...."

I do recommend City on Fire quite a bit though. Everyone says Reservoir Dogs "ripped it off", but that couldn't be further from the truth. City on Fire tells the Reservoir Dogs story from a COMPLETELY different perspective, which is how does a cop infiltrate a gang. RD gave that concept about 5 minutes of screen time, and concentrated more on the post-mortem.
A City On Fire/Reservoir Dogs double feature is one damn enjoyable evening.

mutleyhyde
07-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Ditto what Paff said. http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Dogs is no way a rip, City just sparked the idea in Quentin's noggin.

DVD Connoisseur
07-19-2002, 10:35 PM
... http://www.dddhouse.com/ for less than $4! If you've never seen this film, you know it makes sense....

Personally, I'm holding out for the ultimate Platinum version from HK Legends later in the year (hopefully October-time). Should be a good 'un!

Trout
07-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Paff

City on Fire tells the Reservoir Dogs story from a COMPLETELY different perspective, which is how does a cop infiltrate a gang. RD gave that concept about 5 minutes of screen time, and concentrated more on the post-mortem.
A City On Fire/Reservoir Dogs double feature is one damn enjoyable evening.

Actually it would be the other way around.:p

A double feature would be cool. I'm hoping AB or some other company would get around to releasing some HK action films (like they did with ABT 1+2), seeing as how most asian DVD labels are lacking...