PDA

View Full Version : Slashers to check out

hell ya!
07-19-2002, 02:05 AM
I was wondering if you guys could tell me what are some good slasher movies to watch. I have seen all the Friday, Halloween, TCM and Elm Street movies. I really didn't think to highly about slasher movies before but now i want to give them another chance. Just suggest a few that you think i should check out and also can you say if they are availble on DVD or not. Thanks alot!:)

Cydeous
07-19-2002, 02:29 AM
Soon to be released on DVD:
- My Bloody Valentine
- The Prowler

Check out (on DVD):
- Maniac

Also good, but not on DVD:
- The Burning
- Night Warning

rhett
07-19-2002, 02:58 AM
On DVD:
Prom Night
Black Christmas
Sleepaway Camp
Hell Night
Madman

Not on DVD:
Terror Train
Final Exam
Happy Birthday To Me
Silent Night, Deadly Night

Fistfuck
07-19-2002, 03:55 AM
-Intruder
-Cutting Class
-Stagefright
-Opera, or Terror at the Opera

KillerCannabis
07-19-2002, 10:47 AM
I'd also recommend most of these films. Maniac is a classic that deserves more attention that it has. April Fool's Day is a good one. Madman is so bad its good. American Psycho, though not technically a "slasher" or from the 80's, is a great watch and loosely falls into this category.

ekent
07-20-2002, 06:11 PM
I may get flamed for this one but PIECES is a very enjoyable slasher. You can get it on DVD from Diamond Entertainment for around 6 bucks. Also I hear that a special edition of this one is coming out.
Also, definately pick up a copy of Sleepaway Camp. Very good stuff.

Trout
07-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ekent
I may get flamed for this one but PIECES is a very enjoyable slasher.

You won't get flamed, that movie is a guilty pleasure of quite a few people.

zombi3
07-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Nightmare (Nightmares in a Damaged Brain) - not on dvd yet, but it should be ... eventually.

WesReviews
07-20-2002, 11:48 PM
I like...
Black Christmas
Madman
The Burning
April Fool's Day
Terror Train
Prom Night
My Bloody Valentine
Happy Birthday to Me
Alice, Sweet Alice
Tourist Trap

mutleyhyde
07-21-2002, 08:45 AM
Hell, if you didnt think much of Halloween, Friday and Freddy, you may be looking for a little more realism. In that case, I would second the Maniac suggestion, and throw in New York Ripper. :)

Joel Groce
07-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Town that Dreaded Sundown, Visiting Hours, and Alone in the Dark! (I feel better now!)

hell ya!
07-23-2002, 05:30 AM
Well i have watched a good amount of slashers the past few days and here are my impressions:

Terror Train( good acting from Jamie lee, very freaky mask that the killer wore, overall very good)

FunHouse(good idea and very cool killer, my VHS tape was crap, overall above average)

Prom Night(again great acting from Jamie lee, disco dance was great:D, overalll very enjoyable )

April fools Day(really enjoyed this one, great twist ending, overall great)

Maniac(i have already scene this one and enjoyed it)

New York Ripper(i love euro horror and giallos so i just loved this one)

I also rented,

The Mutilator(OK slasher but not a very good movie, My VHS was R rated and it was so dark so i couldn't really see anything)

I also wanted to know about the Burning VHS that Amazon.com sells because i have heard that this movie is really good and the only way i can see it is if i order it off the web. what i wanted to know was if the VHS was uncut and if a DVD was coming out or not. Thanks

Mark Relford
07-25-2002, 07:01 AM
The Burning VHS is uncut. Who knows when the DVD will come out. Hopefully soon...
The unrated version of The Mutilator rocks! You're missing out on some good gore. It's by no means a slasher classic, but this version makes up for it.
Oh, and Slaughter High is worth checking out. Unfortunately, it's only on VHS. It's your typical 80's slasher with cheesy kills and an overused shock ending. Plus, it has the lovely Caroline Munro in it. ( A BIG plus in my book.)
The um, Plot: Marty the nerd gets picked on by a group of teens. One prank turns deadly on poor Marty, reulting in disfigurement. Years later, Marty's tormentors get invitations to a high school reunion. They show up to a dilapidated school and decide to party anyway. Of course, Marty's there in a jester's costume...
This one's best seen with a pizza (with extra cheese) and a six pack.
Fun Fact: Simon Scuddamore who played Marty committed suicide shortly after the completion of the movie.:(

betterdan
07-25-2002, 07:34 AM
I agree The Mutilator unrated version is great. I only have this on a good dupe from an original vhs but it is still easy to see whats going on. It is kinda cheesy but the gore is good and the music a blast hahaha. I MUST have this on dvd NOW!

Now back to our regularly scheduled posting already in progress...

horrorboy101
07-25-2002, 07:45 PM
HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW (on DVD under Elite Entertainment, or, on VHS OOP on Vestron Home Video) I love this film! A group of graduating sorority sisters play a prank on their housemother that turns deadly, killing her accidentally on the day of their graduation party. That night, a killer stalks each one of them.

SAVAGE WEEKEND (on VHS OOP under Paragon Video) A guilty pleasure. Not a lot of violence until the end of the film but I love how independent the film is and low-budget with some interesting but blood-less kills at the end.

TERROR TRAIN (on VHS OOP under Fox Home Video or Key Video) Oh my! I don't know any slasher fan that doesn't appreciate this film! Jamie Lee Curtis stars in this slasher about a killer stalking fraternity and sorority students on a train during their New Year's party.

BLACK CHRISTMAS (on DVD under Critical Mass or OOP on video under Warner Bros.) My all time fave slasher! A killer stalks sorority girls near Christmas on a Canadian campus. It sounds like a lot of other trashy films but the music and creepy atmosphere make this a classic.

CURTAINS (on VHS OOP under Vestron Video) Many actresses visit a winter cottage of a famous director to audition for a role then get offed by a killer wearing a hag mask.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME (on VHS for $100 under Columbia Home Video) Another classic has TV star Melissa Sue Anderson and her friends killed by a psycho around her birthday. But is she doing it? Many stylish deaths.

HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE (on VHS OOP under MGM Home Entertainment) Another guilty pleasure has a killer stalking brides around their wedding dates. Tom Hanks debuted in this film. I think it's very atmospheric and I love the music and setting, though many people think it's a rip off of HALLOWEEN. Yet, how many of the films above aren't?

MADMAN (on DVD + VHS under Anchor Bay) I just watched this film and boy what a creepy slasher!

fattyjoe37
09-08-2007, 12:43 AM
I think the most underrated slasher series is Maniac Cop. Parts 1 and 2 are pretty good and 2 is actually a sequel that is equal to or maybe even better than the original. But there are also a few good slashers that never developed into a series. My favorite is Black Christmas (1974), but that is pretty well known. If I had to go with one that isn't as well known I'd pick The Prowler.

deplop cinema
09-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Edge of the AXE!

Mutilated Prey
09-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Madman, The Burning, Wrong Turn, The Prey, Mutilator, Just Before Dawn, Twitch of the Death Nerve, Funhouse, Hell Night, Sleepaway Camp, Tourist Trap, My Bloody Valentine, Silent Night Bloody Night, Happy Birthday to Me, Prowler. Just watched Midnight (1981) recently which was a pleasant surprise.