PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Battle Royale NTSC R0!!

KillerCannabis
07-20-2002, 09:41 AM
Well, I finally snagged a copy at Amoeba up in Hollywood today. Only cost me $26, which I consider a steal since this movie kicks so much ass. The picture quality is fantastic, especially considering I was previously watching a 3rd generation bootleg. This new transfer is 16X9 and beautiful on my flat screen. And though the extras leave much to be desired, the disc is put together well enough for me to be more than happy. If you're a fan of this movie, go buy this disc as soon as is humanly possible. Or I'll kill you.

maybrick
07-20-2002, 05:48 PM
All I have to say is I'm pissed. I was in that store less than a month ago and the only one I could find that they had was the British PAL! Dammit!

rxfiend
07-23-2002, 06:27 AM
speaking of Battle Royale, a coworker of mine was telling me that there's a R3 Special Edition dvd coming out with some new footage. anyone know anything about this?

rxfiend
07-23-2002, 06:35 AM
nevermind, i just found a page that talks about this special version (which is available in R2, but with NO subtitles).

http://www.battleroyaleonline.com/

hopefully a DVD gets released of this special version with english subtitles.

KillerCannabis
07-23-2002, 10:59 PM
If you go to www.battleroyale.allhere.com/ they have reviews of every version of BR available on disc. The Jap R3 has some new footage, but I dont remember any of it being killings. It's just more story to fill in some stuff. They say that the NTSC R0 is the best one to get because it has the best transfer and the extra footage from the R3 actually detracts from the overall film. Buy the R0 at any cost, you'll love it.

Bods
07-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by rxfiend
hopefully a DVD gets released of this special version with english subtitles.

According to news posted on Sex, Gore, Mutants - Tartan will be releasing yet another BR DVD, this time the Special Version in September IIRC. The SV contains around 8 minutes of new footage and some scenes have been altered (you can read all about the changes at that site you linked to).

Will be interesting to see if Tartan can get their progressive transfer right this time around. Though advertised as progressive, the recent re-release is interlaced unlike the R2 Japanese DVDs (both of them are progressive, though the original version looks better than the special). Still, the Tartan DVD is the best version with english subtitles.

rxfiend
07-25-2002, 02:53 PM
i got the R3 Universal Laser (i believe that's their name) dvd of Battle Royale and was quite pleased with it. while it's almost barebones (does have some trailers) and only letterboxed (not anamorphic), it still looks great and sounds really good. plus it was only $15! :D

2D4EVER
08-18-2002, 06:59 PM
Is this coming to the US? If not which verison is best?

Later all...

dmd90
09-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Battle Royal Region 3 NTSC is on sale now at Luminous film &
Video Wurks for $14.95http://www.lfvw.com/battle_royale.html

Beastus
09-01-2002, 11:47 PM
Hey, if you want the R3 (got DTS) disc, buy it directly from Hong Kong, at www.dddhouse.com

It costs appr. US$ 5.50 for the disc + postage. That's where I got mine.

dmd90
09-03-2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the info. I forgot all about that store. It comes to
about $9.00 Shipped

2D4EVER
10-29-2002, 01:04 AM
Old post I know but I think it's been long enough. I want this movie...NOW! Is that R3 version really region 0? Cause someone on ebay has the Universe DVD up for sale and they say it's R0. I don't care about the extra shit right now. I just wanna get the movie. If I really like it then maybe I'll get one of the special editions of BR.

mystro
10-29-2002, 03:20 AM
No, it's really region 3.

BTW, does anyone know the name of the classical song which plays before the prologue.

BloodMan
10-29-2002, 04:34 AM
speaking of the music in that film... what is the name of the music that plays when that hateful Mitsuko gets killed by the transfer student. When she is getting shot over and over. I want that music dammit!!!
cheers!!!
:) :) :) :)

Nick

rxfiend
10-29-2002, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by 2D4EVER
Old post I know but I think it's been long enough. I want this movie...NOW! Is that R3 version really region 0? Cause someone on ebay has the Universe DVD up for sale and they say it's R0. I don't care about the extra shit right now. I just wanna get the movie. If I really like it then maybe I'll get one of the special editions of BR.

the true Universe & Laser dvd is R3. however, there is a bootleg of the dvd and it's R0, though it features the same artwork as the UL dvd.

rxfiend
10-29-2002, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by mystro
No, it's really region 3.

BTW, does anyone know the name of the classical song which plays before the prologue.

"Requiem Mass Dies Irae" by Verdi

mystro
10-29-2002, 08:15 PM
Thank you, Rxfiend. The knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me.

How this piece (and it's name) is so appropriate for Battle Royale.

AceRimRat
10-30-2002, 12:15 AM
Can someone post the details or a link to the R0 NTSC disc?

Like what company put it out, etc.? I'm not familiar with it, but after all the great reviews and stuff, I'd like to pick this one up.

:fire:

mystro
10-30-2002, 01:29 AM
Here you go,

Battle Royale (http://www.pokerindustries.com/acatalog/battleroyaleNTSCdvd.htm)

AceRimRat
10-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Thanks!