PDA

View Full Version : "Horror Hotline: Big Head Monster"

dvdasia62
07-20-2002, 04:03 PM
OK, I know the title sounds goofy but despite how nutty it sounds, I have heard many good things about this film, particularly the fact that it is very creepy. Anyone seen this and care to chime in? Here are some details:

DVDetails: HORROR HOTLINE...BIG HEAD MONSTER [DVD FORMAT ONLY]
DVDetails: THIS DVD IS PLAYABLE IN ALL REGIONS ON NTSC EQUIPMENT

USD$12.95

LIST: $17.99
YOU SAVE 28%! Availability: 1-2 Days - Usually ships within 1-2 business days.
Film Director(s): Cheang Pou-Soi
Film Producer(s): Joe Ma Wai-Ho, Ivy Kong (Yuk Yee)
Released: 2001 [Hong Kong]
Genre: Ghost
Sub-Genre: Horror
Keywords: Filmmaking, Journalist, Television

Overview: The English title sounds completely ridiculous at first. But as the film develops, it makes a lot of sense. "Horror Hotline" is the name of a Hong Kong radio show (Francis Ng plays the show's producer); listeners call in to relate spooky ghost tales. A television crew from the United States (helmed by the lovely Josie Ho) arrives to film the hosts, and on their first day of shooting hear a caller describe a 1960's encounter with the Big Head Baby Monster. It turns out he's not the only one, as the switchboard is soon flooded with similar calls. Naturally the television crew is intrigued and wants to investigate further, and naturally this curiosity leads them deep into supernatural territory. Despite flashes of humor, this is not an ironic post-modern horror story; instead it takes its urban legend seriously and avoids cheap thrills.

Cast: Francis Ng Chun-Yu, Josie Ho Chiu-Yee, Sam Lee Chan-Sam, Chow Lai Kei, Cheung Kai Kai, Ruth, Edmund Poon (Siu Chung), Bonnie Wong Man-Wai, Wilson Yip (Wai Shun), Alan Mak Siu-Fai, Szeto Kam-Yuen, Roy Szeto Wai-Cheuk. . . (Click any actor to search for more of their movies!)

Running Time: 89 mins.

Language(s): Cantonese, Mandarin

Subtitles: ENGLISH, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified)

Distributor: Mei Ah [A Hong Kong-Based Distributor]

Rating: IIB - "Adult Material; Parental Guidance Recommended" (roughly equal to an MPPA rating of "R")
Films rated Category IIB contain large amounts of violence and/or nudity and sexual situations in addition to possible explicit language and adult situations.

Features: Letterboxed; Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; Alternate Endings; Cast and Production Information

Thanks! :)

dvdasia62
07-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Here's a mini-review, or rather, some thoughts on the film from someone who watched it:

The name sounds stupid, even to me. "Big Head Monster"?! But when I watched it with my 18 year old son, we agreed it was one of the scariest movies we'd ever encountered. Its style is a little like Blair Witch, but with a very up-to-date modern flair.
The plot is confusing at times, and the gore a little light, but this helps, making you feel like you're wading through curtains of mystery. If you like cerebral horror, this is perfect.

-sandy petersen

Also, the DVD has the theatrical ending and an alternate ending. Looks like this is next on the list! :)

KillerCannabis
07-27-2002, 12:31 PM
Where can you buy this not online? I'd like to snag a copy somewhere. I'm always down to see creepy movies. And I'm huge on Asian cinema right now.

dvdasia62
07-27-2002, 03:04 PM
I really have no idea where you can buy this without doing so online. I buy all my Asian horror flicks online from HKFlix. :)

DVD Connoisseur
07-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Well, I've placed an order for this as it sounds promising. I nearly overlooked this film because of its goofy title - thanks for the heads up!

dvdasia62
07-28-2002, 11:57 PM
My pleasure! :)

slinker
07-29-2002, 12:12 AM
Personally didnt like it, if i had seen it before Blair Witch it would have seemed more effective and not such a silly plotted rip off!
:rolleyes: The concept of a big headed baby really didnt deliver any fear from me.

2D4EVER
07-29-2002, 02:54 AM
I have the VCD of it. My god...who thought up the fucking idea of a big head baby monster? Anyway...there are some genuinely creepy moments in the movie like the scene in the hospital. The story was alright but there were some large plot holes. And I didn't like the ending. If the ending was better I would have thought higher of the movie and probably gotten the DVD but as it is I'm fine with the VCD. It's not horrible and there are some good parts in the movie but it's nothing great. Don't expect too much and you may like the film...kind of. Though I don't know why anyone would like the ending.

Later all...