PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions on Madman DVD

ekent
07-20-2002, 08:47 PM
does anyone like this movie? I have the chance to get it on the cheap and I was wondering if I should. (By cheap I mean 9.99).

hell ya!
07-20-2002, 10:13 PM
I was also thinking about picking it up. Its avaible at Deep Discount DVD for about $10.

WesReviews
07-21-2002, 12:00 AM
Simply said, if you like 80's slashers, Madman is a must.

Great disc and really interesting audio commentary.

mcchrist
07-21-2002, 02:31 AM
Iis only interesting for the theme song. That stupid whiny bitch I could do without.

SaviniFan
07-21-2002, 03:49 AM
Madman is a guilty pleasure for me. I own the dvd, the transfer shows some film damage, but nothing that bad. I say go for it. I've seen alot worse slashers out there. I'm happy with my purchase.

DefJeff
07-21-2002, 06:34 AM
awful movie

too many reasons to list

just take my advice and dont bother

ekent
07-21-2002, 07:09 AM
damn jeff I wish I could but I just ordered it. I will enjoy it simply because Gaylen Ross from Dawn of the Dead is in it.

DefJeff
07-21-2002, 07:54 AM
heheh, let us know your opinion on it when u finally see it

Curt Duncan
07-21-2002, 05:12 PM
For 10.00 I would purchase it.

Robert_Neville
07-21-2002, 08:15 PM
I love that odd campfire song that one guy sings in the beginning. It sounds like something from "Jesus Christ Superstar." It's a pretty tame slasher movie with a implausible decapitation scene, but I think it's well worth the $10.

KillerCannabis
07-21-2002, 10:56 PM
If you love lame, cheesy 80's horror flicks (like myself) then get on it. It's good for a watch or two and a lot of laughs. The old head counsler is such a horrid actor you cant help but laugh.

shift
07-23-2002, 10:01 AM
I own it on DVD ,, but I paid 20.00 for mine. Its not a bad bad movie,, but if you like movies where murders and kills take place in the woods then its worth a purchase for $10.00. I mean I wish I got it for 10.00 and not 20.00. I did enjoy it,, but I give it 5 stars out of 10.

Joel Groce
07-24-2002, 08:50 AM
This is a good example of the stuff that was coming out before the "staleness" set in - enjoy it with some brews and check out the commentary as well!

dwatts
01-20-2004, 03:03 AM
Well, resurrecting this one, since I just watched it :)

It actually took me back to the good old days when I was far less critical of the films I was watching (God save us from people who have to see meaning and nuance in everything). This is a slasher, pure and simple. All the cliches are there, and they never miss an opportunity to drag out a death scene.

Quite a bit of gore, really. Obviously it's daft. Slashers are daft. And no trick ending to make us think either. Still - for what it is (a cheap 80's brainless slasher) it worked well, imo.

Some have criticized the acting. I can't do that. This was the 80's, and this is what acting was like back then. Anyway, given my favor for italian cheese, I can hardly call these performances crapola.

This is an older DVD. The print is a little washed out, and is low contrast. There are places of print damage that are distracting, and the sound is a little muffled and thin. I have not listened to the commentary. The fact that it's non-anamorphic didn't help.

Would I recommend it? At $10, sure I would. The Madman is entirely predictable, and not scary. But he's a big strong dude with an axe - which made up for it ;)

puddytay
01-20-2004, 04:03 AM
for some reason it worked for me. Maybe because I like to collect books who knows. I hated it was full screen tho. If it was widescreen I would say buy it but I cant recommend any full screen disc for any price.

betterdan
01-20-2004, 04:08 AM
Huh? The Anchor Bay disc is widescreen just not anamorphic. And why would collecting books help you to like it? Are you thinking of I Madman instead?

dwatts
01-20-2004, 04:45 AM
Madman is definately widescreen. Faults as noted. Indeed, what is the book thing about?

puddytay
01-20-2004, 05:51 AM
yes I was my fault to similar of names.

Madz H
01-20-2004, 01:07 PM
"Beware Of The Mad Man Marz"
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/madman/madman_shot4l.jpg

dwatts
01-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah - that's him. He lost his nose in a fight, "and didn't even notice". Which is one hard case if you ask me :)

What was with the title sequence? Horrible synth score over a cardboard cut out of some trees with a red background. At the start I didn't know what the hell I was getting myself into. That campfire song was pretty bad too.

I reckon there is a resemblence between Madman and McChrists Avatar.

Hellbilly
01-20-2004, 08:16 PM
I like this film.

The cheese quotient is high and the gore amount just right.
Anchor Bay's DVD is pretty good, but audio still sounds "muted", a bit better then the old Thorn/EMI release though.
One thing that I think is really cool is the fact that Madman actually made the box office top ten back in 1981 :)

wago70
01-21-2004, 10:36 PM
I've seen many a slasher - most when they played theaters back in the day. I have to say, though, I really liked MADMAN. Sure it lacks the punch of Friday the 13th, but it's a nifty little chiller diller. I like the DVD too. It's the best the film has ever looked, but I'm disappointed it wasn't enhanced for Widescreen telly's since Anchor Bay was well into that with most of their releases by the time MADMAN was released.

dwatts
01-21-2004, 10:54 PM
--One thing that I think is really cool is the fact that Madman actually made the box office top ten back in 1981--

Really? That is a neat little factoid. It was clearly cheap to make too. Nice to think back to the days where blockbuster films weren't squeezing cheapo movies like this totally out of the picture.

Tuzotonic
06-09-2004, 03:49 AM
I liked this movie alot but that's just me. I think $9.99 is a great price for it. If you are a real slasher fan, its a must but fast forward through the hot tub scene.