PDA

View Full Version : Spellbound Criterion, finally

mutleyhyde
07-21-2002, 08:51 AM
Online retailers are now taking pre-orders for Spellbound, Criterion edition, due 9/24. I know the news is a few days old, but it hasn't been posted here yet, so here ya go. :)

http://tf.dvdplanet.com/productimages/front/26092.jpg

From www.dvdplanet.com
2-DVD set. Audio commentary by Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane; Illustrated essay on the Salvador Dali dream sequence by James Bigwood; Complete 1948 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation starring Joseph Cotton and Alida Valli; Essays by Hitchcock scholars Lesley Brill, Leonard Leff and Dan Auiler; Excepts from a 1973 interview with composer Miklos Rozsa; Gallery of hundreds of photos and documents on the film's production; Trailer

The Digital Bits is reporting that Spellbound will include a new digital film transfer in the film's original full frame aspect ratio (1.33:1), with both film and sound restoration, and also mentions there is new entrance and exit music by Rozsa. MAybe this is why it took so long to get it out. ;)

I can't wait for this one. Spellbound is one of the Hitchcock's I've never seen, and besides the excitement over that alone, there is also the Salvadore Dali dream sequence that I've always wanted to see. Dali rocks. http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

KR~!
07-21-2002, 09:56 AM
I love DALI!

I want to get this just for that, plus Hitchcock is always great, but like you I have never seen this flim.

gusse
07-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Pre-orderd it a few days back and I'm defenetly looking forward to the day it gets released. Havent seen it before so it's going to be an interesting experience, Hitchcock and Dali seems like a cool package if you ask me! :)

Does anyone know if we might see some more Hitchcock movies from Criterion in the future? I would love to see them releasing movies like "Dial M for murder", "To catch a thief" and "Lifeboat".

dvdasia62
07-21-2002, 02:53 PM
I wonder what the MSRP is on this latest Criterion entry???

mutleyhyde
07-21-2002, 02:57 PM
Asia, it's a 2 disc special edition (believe it or not, not all Criterion's are labeled special editions ;) ), so it's $39.95 - but you can pre-order it here and there for around $25. Go to www.dvdpricesearch.com and do a search.

dvdasia62
07-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Thank you Hyde! :)

Yowie
07-22-2002, 05:55 AM
Does anyone know if we might see some more Hitchcock movies from Criterion in the future? I would love to see them releasing movies like "Dial M for murder", "To catch a thief" and "Lifeboat". [/B]
Good question. I'd like to see "Sabotage" and "Jamaica Inn" get the treatments they deserve. Don't know if they'd be allowed to mess with the three titles above, think they belong to big studios like Warner and FOX. "Spellbound" is o.k., but I like "Notorious" better.

mutleyhyde
07-22-2002, 12:34 PM
You're welcome Asia! Glad to be of service. :)

Gusse, I seem to remember seeing some more Criterion Hitchcock news at one of the few site I frequent, but haven't had a chance to go hunting for it again yet. I'll try to dig something up for you. Check back.

John
07-22-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm glad that Hitchcock is getting the royal treatment from Criterion. From Notorious to Rebecca to Spellbound, Citerion is really putting out some great sets.

mutleyhyde
07-24-2002, 01:44 AM
Gusse, sorry, but I think I was thinking about Spellbound, as I can't find a thing on any further Criterion Hitchcocks. I'll keep an eye out, but for now, I think there isn't anything in the works. I wouldn't fret too much though, because Criterion is obviously commited to Hitch, and I'm sure they've got more stuff they're looking into. :cool:

soundjam
07-25-2002, 06:19 AM
The Hitchcock Criterion covers always look so nice. Now if they would only change the Man Bites Dog cover.

mutleyhyde
07-25-2002, 06:37 AM
I think this one is the best looking Criterion Hitch yet. Notorious is pretty good, but 39 Steps and Lady Vanishes are pretty unimaginative, in my opinion. At least Lady Vanishes incorporates original art. Not that the 39 Steps cover is bad; it's a good pic, and the graphics are professionally done, but I'm just not fond of close-up headshots I guess. Rebecca looks kinda bizzy to me.

Yep, Spellbound cover kicks ass. :)