PDA

View Full Version : "Branded To Kill"

dvdasia62
07-22-2002, 03:08 AM
Fans of this surreal Asian film from 1967 can catch it on The Sundance Channel late tonight, 7/21, at 2AM, EST. Set those VCR's! :)

Paff
07-22-2002, 04:02 AM
Does it make any more sense than the other film he did? Tokyo Drifter?
That one completely lost me.

He also directed the Lupin film The Legend of the Gold of Babylon

maybrick
07-22-2002, 05:25 AM
Check out Seijun Suzuki's "Pistol Opera", the official sequel to "Branded to Kill" just recently released. I was able to attend the US premiere at Grauman's Egyptian Theatre in LA and it was absolutely unintellible, and yet, fantastic! Completely surreal! In all sincerity, there are really no words to describe this movie. Hopefully, you'll be able to soon.

John
07-22-2002, 12:39 PM
I almost picked up the Branded To Kill Criterion DVD, but never got around to it. If I had kept the Sundance cahnnel, I'd finally be able to see it. Oh well, you guys will have to tell me what you thought. :)

mutleyhyde
07-22-2002, 12:46 PM
They're fun, stylistic movies, but damned incoherent, at least to this Western mind - maybe that's part of it.

dvdasia62
07-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Finally got around to watching the tape I made of "Branded To Kill" from The Sundance Channel and I have to say that I really enjoyed this strange little movie! It was surreal and bizarre and difficult to follow at times but I loved the images and the "feel" I got from watching. It's a weird "pulpish", "noir" type film and I just loved the black and white cinematography. Another fine film that fans of Asian cinema should check out. The print used on Sundance was excellent and presented in 2.35:1 widescreen. The images were sharp and outside of some small damage from time to time on the left of the screen, it was really nice to look at. Thank goodness again for the VCR and VHS because now I have an excellent print of the film without shelling out $20-$30 worth of Criterion money! Anyway, if the price ever comes down or another distributor sells it reasonably priced, I'll upgrade to DVD. In the meantime, another example of why to hold on to those VCR's! :)