PDA

View Full Version : Escaflowne Movie... anyone see it?

Jog
07-27-2002, 08:47 PM
I got it... and I thought it was decidedly unspectacular. Too much hype from other anime fans, I guess. I've not seen the tv show, of course, so maybe a fan of that would be a little more forgiving, but I thought the movie was just really bland. Every cliche in the book was hit, and NOT in a fun or creative way; it was like the film was just going through the motions. There's also the fact that characters pretty much walk on screen, do nothing, then leave, presumably to satisfy their fans from the tv series. This is a problem with many tv series-to-movie adaptations, but it seems even more intense here. I'll give the film this: the score was very nice and the animation itself was quite good (if not fantastic). The packaging is excellent. But, well, the movie was a bit of a letdown. Anyone else see it?

aoiookami
07-27-2002, 10:12 PM
This isnt a tv-to-movie adaptation like you said, its a stand alone movie, a re-telling of the story, and very different from the series. all the characters are almost opposite from their series personalities, so I dont know what you mean by saying they just appear to satisfy fans, if that were the case I think fans would be disapointed, because almost every character is different in some way....someone can watch this movie and not even need to know anything about the series...

anyways, I disagree. I thought the movie was fantastic, its so much darker, and believeable than the series. the score is great, as usual with Yoko Kanno's work. And the DVD (Ultimate Edition..) is pretty much perfect (check out a review here http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/996.php)

well, to each their own :P too bad you didnt enjoy it..

Paff
07-28-2002, 03:19 AM
I saw it theatrically, and wasn't impressed. Of course, that means it was dubbed in English, and not very well. There can only be one Hitomi, and that's Maaya Sakamoto.

First off, the series itself was never one of my favorites. It had some REALLY cool concepts, but I feel they were unexplored. Or there were great cliffhangers that got resolved way too easily, like when Hitomi turned herself in to the enemy's side

One reason I didn't like the movie, is that Escaflowne had a HUGE cast, and they felt compelled to include every single character, without really explaining who they were. Merle, the cat-girl, a perfect example.

So yes, you can be an Anime fan and not be awed by Escaflowne.

Jog
07-28-2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by aoiookami
This isnt a tv-to-movie adaptation like you said, its a stand alone movie, a re-telling of the story, and very different from the series. all the characters are almost opposite from their series personalities, so I dont know what you mean by saying they just appear to satisfy fans, if that were the case I think fans would be disapointed, because almost every character is different in some way....someone can watch this movie and not even need to know anything about the series...

Hee hee. Told you I didn't know anything about the series. I still feel that a lot of clearly important characters appear and serve no purpose other than exposition though... and I agree with you on the last point... I knew literally nothing about the series and I followed the movie perfectly. I just wasn't impressed with what I saw. But hey, the series (from what I've recently read) sounds much more interesting than the film... it very well might be quite good.

anyways, I disagree. I thought the movie was fantastic, its so much darker, and believeable than the series. the score is great, as usual with Yoko Kanno's work. And the DVD (Ultimate Edition..) is pretty much perfect (check out a review here http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/996.php)

well, to each their own :P too bad you didnt enjoy it..

The dvd was technically very well done, I agree. And Yoko Kanno is simply incapable of delivering a bad score, case closed. I think I may have given off the feeling that I hated the movie, which is not true. It didn't do anything horribly wrong, and it had some good points (the animation and the score). But I wasn't thrilled by it. You were, and hey, if we all agreed, life would be awful boring! :D