PDA

View Full Version : Chas Balun's Deep Red

BigDeg187
01-20-2001, 05:09 AM
I myself am a big Chas Balun fan, recently I've won alot of auctions on ebay for his books. I'm trying to collect them all. For those of you who don't know Chas, he's the greatest horror aficanado. He was a former writer and artist for Fangoria and had a short lived Horror mag called Deep Red. I just got 4 back issues of deep red in the mail. And man are these awesome issues. 1 has this awesome idepth artical on Cannibal Holocust and the other issue has an idepth artical on the splatter king Jogn Morghen. Now in my opinion I think Fangoria died and turned Trendy as soon as Chas left them.

------------------
Wanna see something really scary? Vistit http://www.SavageCinema.com

ArrowBeach
01-20-2001, 07:33 AM
met him many times, nice guy, used to see him shop at ken cranes as he used ot buy alot of LD. BUT you do know within the horror community of the mid 90's he was hated and loathed for doing a VERY naughty thing, which I dont know if I can say, lets just say he broke the law,a dnb it involved Jorg whatshisname.!

Mark Relford
01-20-2001, 08:17 AM
I have a Deep Red 7 SE hardcover. Got a good deal, only paid ten dollars for it at a convention. It was an enjoyable read.
Also have Balun's Red Ink booklet that came in a nifty TCM vomit bag.
It's a damn shame that his Horror Holocaust and Gore Score books are OOP. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-20-2001).]

DVD Connoisseur
01-20-2001, 10:33 AM
I'm the proud owner of the Gore Score Handbook, Horror Holocaust and the Deep Red issues 1-6 (the complete paperback set). One of the Deep Red issues (I think it was 4 or 5) took me nearly a year to track down! Apparently it's very rare. Balun has a great style - it's relaxed and very friendly and his knowledge of the material he covers is first rate. I didn't know about the "naughty thing," though.

BigDeg187
01-20-2001, 11:42 AM
Yeah, Chas is a nice guy, I used to design his website for him until my friend Todd took it over becuase of a falling out I had with Chas involving those 2 loud mouth redneck assholes, Shawn Smith and Wesson from BHM, and John I want my Crackers from House of Horrors.

I am trying to form a complete Balun/Deep Red collection. I just orderd Ninth and Hell Street, Chas' novel, and Gore Score 2001.

Here is my Balun Collection:

-The Connoisseur's guide to the contemporary Horror Film

-Gore Score (GREAT FUCKING BOOK)

-Lucio Fulci: Beyond the Gates (Great book but nothing compared to the Fab Press monster)

-Directors Cut- Novella (Its OK, nothing special, kinda confusing and awkward setting, uses real names in a fictional book...)

-Red Ink, Terror in 2000 A.D

Deep Red Issues:

I have 2 copies of issue 1

I also have issue 2,4,5, and Issue 1 of Volume 2 aka Last Issue.

I would like to know more about this Chas Scham though, what did he do that was so bad?

------------------
Wanna see something really scary? Vistit http://www.SavageCinema.com

ArrowBeach
01-20-2001, 04:48 PM
Well Chaz "supposively" was bootlegging Jorg Butti??'s films like TODESKING and NEKROMANTIK, selling them at convention and by mail, and it pissed off FILM THREAT (chris gore) so FILM THREAT started a smear champaign against Chaz, and they apperently teamed up with Jorg and took legal action against Chaz. I think Chaz did get arrested or something. Now I dont know how accurate FILM THREAT's accusation was, but Gore's article was basically saying about Chaz "here is a man who supposively respect horror, yet rapes these horror filmmakers with" and used words that are R rated! Also accused Chaz of "if he continues to bootleg Jorg's films, how is Jorg going to get a video sale in the U.S!!!

But the smear champaign worked, as alot of underground horror denziens in LA around 1993 started to disrespect Chaz. In the end, ironically FILM THREAT gotten into big trouble and lost all respect from horror fans as they started a smear champaign against just about anyone, from Johnny Yune to Adam Rifkin! I dont even know if Christian Gore is around anymore.

[This message has been edited by ArrowBeach (edited 01-20-2001).]

ArrowBeach
01-21-2001, 02:03 AM
Well whatever happened to Christian Gore and FILM THREAT? In the end, I remember everyone from William lustig to Sam Raimi to Tony Tinpone to Quentin Tarantino cancelling their magazine's subsciption!

[This message has been edited by ArrowBeach (edited 01-20-2001).]

JBENE
01-21-2001, 03:24 AM
Nice to see other Chas. Balun fans' out their.I never heard of that story about him "bootlegging" videos but if he did it doesn't change the fact that he knows as much about HORROR as any of us.It was cool to meet him at the last two FANGO CONS in Pasadena and hopefully FANGO puts togather another one this year(Tony Timpone E-mailed and said there will probably be one this August).That was intersting ARROWBEACH that you mentioned Ken Crane's because that's where I get the majority of my DVD'S.They have since changed there name to Ken Crane's DVD PLANET and it's located in Westminster,CA ,which is pretty close to where Chas lives.

JBENE
01-21-2001, 03:27 AM
FANGO #200 was awesome but it would of been nice to see CHAS. BALUN somewhere in the issue.Something tells me though he probably declined.

nimereht
01-21-2001, 05:37 AM
i would like to say screw all those film threat assholes...chas gave a lot of us our first look at some of these type of films...i remember with great pleasure discovering his writing through gorezone magazine, and i have been trying to follow him ever since...especially his overview of fulci films in one of those issues...i was also one of those who bought many boots from him in the late 80's, early 90's...without him, i would've had to wait many years before seeing a ton of films i had only read about in magazines like the beyond, opera, and even films like a better tomorrow! long live chas!

walkingdude
08-05-2005, 03:04 AM
Does anyone know what Chas is up to these days?I used to buy videos from him ages ago.I still have my copy of Deep Red Horror Handbook.Which I still pick up for a re-read now and again and I also have many of the old Deep Red Mags.

BloodMan
08-05-2005, 03:08 AM
http://home1.gte.net/deepred1/
go there and email him guy. :) He's replied to my questions. (some time ago)

Agentsusp
08-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Chris Gore didn't make out too badly from that Film Threat debacle. He's a host on IFC now.

Shannafey
08-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Well whatever happened to Christian Gore and FILM THREAT?

Believe it or not, they're still around to a degree, but only as a webzine. I stopped subscribing years ago, because their magazine was crap! As those of you who know me, know, I lean on the conservative side, and his magazine was more about pushing liberal agendas then movie reviews and it really pissed me off, since I don't read film magazines for political commentary. For some reason I got on his email mailing list. Probably because I was a former subscriber, and the email film reviews show that it's the same crap! More politics and personal bullshit than movie review. His cast of movie reviewers are MORONS!! Of course it's www.filmthreat.com

Don't know much about Chas, but have loved his books!

bigwes15
08-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Would love to see balun back on the scene-always loved those deep Red mags and got my start through the "Conuisser's Guide" booklet I bought through Fantaco a long time ago.

Evil Dead Guy
08-06-2005, 04:09 AM
This guy is very talented, great writer and brilliant artist. I know i own three of this collector's T-shirts, and i wear them with great pride.

henrychinaski
08-06-2005, 05:56 AM
I saw him in 2003 at a Fango convention here in California. I got his signature and a couple photos with him. Nice guy, very informative.

bruce h
08-07-2005, 06:50 PM
For more recent Balun writings, look for the Gore Score 2000 book, which is a compilation of all previous Gore Scoreboard reviews with a bunch of new material. Also, check out the Deep Red 15th Anniversary issue, which I served as associate editor on.

http://www.rottencotton.com/deepred/

Shannafey
08-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Also, check out the Deep Red 15th Anniversary issue, which I served as associate editor on.

Great Stuff!!!

henrychinaski
08-08-2005, 02:02 AM
I bought the 15th anniversary issue some time ago and was wondering if there will be any future issues released?

bigwes15
08-09-2005, 02:54 AM
TTT for this-it has been too long since we got some new chas stuff!

The Chaostar
08-09-2005, 10:18 AM
The guy is indeed talented. Back in the late 80s, early 90s, his writings opened the eyes for many of us, I assume.
However, if you take a glance at the letters he and Manfred O. Jelinski exchanged, youll discover a very different person and maybe feel dissapointed a bit....

bigwes15
08-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Chaostar-
I have no idea what you are referring to with those letters. Any chance of an explanation for those of us here in the dark?

adric
08-11-2005, 07:02 AM
is this the same Chas Balun who is the art director at Rottencotton.com?
http://www.rottencotton.com/index2.htm

wago70
08-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Chas Balun was the first person to introduce me into the Church of Italo Horror. Through his Gorezone article on THE BEYOND, he cleared up the mess that was "U.S. version versus Original version". He also introduced the term Japanese Import laserdisc into my vocabulary and soon I was ordering them. I loved his writings. I bought THE GORE SCORE while I was at college and it was one of the few links I had to the genre at the time.

DVD Connoisseur
08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks to Chas Balun's comments on Nekromantik in the Deep Red Horror Handbook (or was it the Gore Score?), I ended up going to my first horror festival and actually saw Buttgereit in the flesh. After that, I spent a good few years attending festivals and had a great time / made some new friends I wouldn't have otherwise met!

I keep finding Chas Balun books from my "completist" obsession of the early '90s. They're a great read.

bruce h
08-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Shawn and I wanted to do a new Deep Red every year, but Chas. had some other projects he was working on at the time. Chances are we'll get the gang together again for a 20th Anniversary Issue.

SaviniFan
08-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Shawn and I wanted to do a new Deep Red every year, but Chas. had some other projects he was working on at the time. Chances are we'll get the gang together again for a 20th Anniversary Issue.

Great news. A new Deep Red is always something to look forward to. Bruce, does Chas. have any intentions of making another Deep Red Horror Handbook in the future? I've always loved those. Chas.' reviews are always entertaining and kick-ass!

BloodMan
08-12-2005, 01:32 AM
bruce, would you guys accept art submissions to decorate the pages of the mag? I think I used to see some of this in either early Deep Red issues or Blackest Heart... not sure... just wondering. I'd love to have some of my stuff in the pages of Deep Red. :) :) :)