PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Day [MERGED]

Joel Groce
08-06-2002, 04:26 AM
Well I was gonna wait for Troma's DVD, but wanted to check this one out as it had an early Linnea Quigley appearance and being an old school slasher fan etc etc. Well it didn't make it but had some hilarious bits at the end when the killer gets pushed out the window by the rotting body of his girlfriend and then comes back through the front door carrying her body as the heroine runs out and when Linnea's blouse opens up while she's running. Oh well - I had been warned and my expectations were low!!!

Andrew
08-06-2002, 05:35 AM
Haven't seen this, but damn I'm laughing remembering this time back on another board. This guy who had horrible grammar proclaimed GRADUATION DAY as his favorite horror movie, before he'd even seen it!

Man, back in the day...:D.

rhett
08-06-2002, 09:08 AM
Graduation Day is a decent slasher. There is a lot to lament about the film, but the premise is half decent (if predictable) and some of the kills are cool. Since it was released by Columbia during its theatrical run, it does benefit from having some nice studio backing, making it look a little better than a lot of the low budget slasher fare of the time. But damn, some of the clothing in that movie is downright horrible!

Hellbilly
08-06-2002, 04:38 PM
Not a fave of mine but an "ok" slasher with a nice b-cast.

KillerCannabis
08-06-2002, 09:15 PM
Hmmm..... maybe I'll have to give this one a watch. I'm all for cheesy slasher flicks so this one sounds good to me. Did Columbia put the disc out?

Hellbilly
08-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Nope, Troma :( I guess...

Michael
12-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Not a good film but the viewing experience was marred by the terrible cinematography of this film. Many of the scenes were so dark that one could hardly tell what was happening.

Low production values. Poor performances.

And the identity of the killer was telegraphed from (his/her?) first appearance.

I experienced several instances of "freezing', requiring me to skip several minutes of the film (although I do not think I missed much).

The disc was put out by Troma. Did they produce the film as well or did they simply acquire the distribution rights.

Vanna White makes an appearance along with Christopher "Rat Patrol" George and Billy "Fame" Huffsey. Linnea Quigley has a few brief scenes including the requisite topless moment.

I would recommend skipping this film unless you are an absolute completist for the slasher genre.

speanroc
12-29-2003, 03:34 PM
i liked it..........

Wez4555
12-31-2003, 05:27 AM
ive wanted to see this.

on a unrelated note speanroc (as of this post) i want to give you congrats on your 666th post.

x666x
01-01-2004, 07:54 PM
I didn't mind it when I saw it in grade school. I bought it a year ago on dvd. Watched it once and sold it because it just didn't hold up for me.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
01-01-2004, 11:17 PM
I have been meaning to pick up Graduation Day for a while, but I never see it in the store, and when I do my online orders I never think of it before I have already spent too much.

Although, judging by Michael's description, I am not missing much, so I guess that I should not be to unhappy that I have not picked it up yet.

VideoViolence
01-02-2004, 04:25 AM
I liked it and Troma has distribution rights. It was originally put out on vhs by RCA/Columbia Pictures.

speanroc
01-02-2004, 03:34 PM
ive wanted to see this.

on a unrelated note speanroc (as of this post) i want to give you congrats on your 666th post.

thanx wez :banana:

rhett
01-02-2004, 05:50 PM
I thought it was alright. It had some interesting moments that made it worthwhile. Linnea Quigley is always a plus, and some of the kills (like the archery one in the woods) had some good payoffs. I liked the premise about the track death, and the ending, although right out of FRIDAY THE 13TH, was still worthy of applause. Just the idea that Troma has anything to do with this flick depreciates its value, but if you are picking it up for the first time, don't let that turn you off, because other than owning the rights they have nothing to do with it.

maybrick
04-16-2004, 05:08 AM
The best thing about this movie is the "Vampirella" poster on the wall at the end. Second best thing is the band during the roller disco/graduation party. But am I off base in thinking this one had the lamest slasher ever? The only thing really scary about GRADUATION DAY is in the amount of tube socks on display.

x666x
04-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I saw it when I was around 13 and remembered it to be alright. I then bought the Troma dvd a year ago (age 28). It definately did not live up to even being somewhat amuzing. Quite a flop.

maybrick
04-16-2004, 11:43 PM
I didn't realize it was out on DVD yet. I had a free rental coming to me, and after buying THE PROWLER and MY BLOODY VALENTINE recently I've been on a slasher kick. I went looking for HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME but they didn't have that so I grabbed GRADUATION DAY. I didn't notice this until I bothered to look them up last night, but it's kind of funny that every one of the titles I just mentioned were released in 1981. Kind of a banner year for the genre, eh? What others came out in '81 I wonder?

Another thing that doesn't help the scare factor of GRADUATION DAY is that the music is more suitable for an ITT Tech/DeVry commercial than a horror movie.

onebyone
04-17-2004, 12:03 AM
Although it surely isn't scary, I think it is fun enough. I mean, Vanna White and Linnea Quigley in the same slasher? I am there regardless of the bad, terrible soundtrack and lack of real scares. Hell, the bad music makes it even more cheesy and hence makes me like it even more.

However, the disc bugs me. A lot. I really wish someone besides Troma would put this out.

maybrick
04-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, 1X1, I agree with you totally. I'm just having fun ragging on it, is all. :)

STREET TRASH
04-17-2004, 05:26 AM
I kinda like the cheesy intro song, but overall it's a fairly lame-o slasher flick. I remember it having a good scene or two and a pretty disturbing ending. Scenes from GRADUATION DAY can be found in another slasher from the '80s (late 80s) called NIGHT SCREAMS, in which a teenage couple are watching GD just before their demises.

STREET TRASH
04-17-2004, 05:32 AM
I didn't realize it was out on DVD yet. I had a free rental coming to me, and after buying THE PROWLER and MY BLOODY VALENTINE recently I've been on a slasher kick. I went looking for HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME but they didn't have that so I grabbed GRADUATION DAY. I didn't notice this until I bothered to look them up last night, but it's kind of funny that every one of the titles I just mentioned were released in 1981. Kind of a banner year for the genre, eh? What others came out in '81 I wonder?

Another thing that doesn't help the scare factor of GRADUATION DAY is that the music is more suitable for an ITT Tech/DeVry commercial than a horror movie.

Hmm, to answer your question about what other slashers came out in '81, a search engine or the IMDB could give you a fairly hefty list, but off hand some of the more interesting or notable ones are *THE BURNING, MADMAN, THE FUNHOUSE, PIECES, HOSPITAL MASSACRE and NIGHT SCHOOL. Just off the top of my head, there are TONS more however.

* = all-time classic, a must-see.

Ravenheart
04-22-2004, 01:19 AM
My copy of this just came today and it wasn't too bad.I figured out early on and pretty easily who the killer was but I still enjoyed the movie.I did miss Vanna White in the movie though.Did she only have a small part in it?

Cujo108
04-22-2004, 01:36 AM
This is definitely one of the lousier slashers I've seen. Pretty boring throughout with some lame music and even lamer scenes. One of the only good things about this film is the pole vaulter's death.

rhett
04-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Eh, it isn't all that bad. The disco song at the start is classic, and the ending is perfectly derivative of FRIDAY THE 13TH and even more cheesy. Add Linnea Quigley and an overblown opening running montage and you have the makings of a fine slice of swiss.

Vdlman
04-28-2004, 05:59 PM
I liked this one. Though it's not one of my favorites, it's still a good cheesy early '80s slasher. You could do a lot worse.

dwatts
04-28-2004, 06:22 PM
-- The disco song at the start is classic--

You know, I have been able to discern that Rhett is simply a huge disco fan. Come on Rhett, admit it, you're a disco loving fool :D

snowbeast323
01-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Sooooooooo many people tend to hate the film Graduation day.....for the life of me I can't understand why....well I iked it

It may have been low budget but thats the beauty of it.....plus it has the lovely Linnea Quigley in it

What do you guys think of it?

Workshed
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
there are no less than 5 threads on this film. :lol:

have fun. (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=8185&highlight=graduation+day)

YottNik
01-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Gangster Rock. 'Nuff said.

vampyr789
01-03-2009, 10:11 PM
ahh good old Graduation Day....by no means a good films at all. but i had a ceratin charm that i love about it. I like to call it the slasher film that has the title of the Three C's: Campy, Corny, & Cheesy!

i love it. its a fun movie to watch with friends

bwana the clown
01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Gangster Rock. 'Nuff said.

:cry: Oh Jesus! That song almost killed me. It just went on...and on....and on....and on....and on.....and on............

(and this is coming from someone who likes the song from Night Train To Terror)

Katatonia
01-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I love it. Is it a good film? No, not really at all, but I still greatly enjoy watching it.

rhett
01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
there are no less than 5 threads on this film. :lol:

have fun. (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=8185&highlight=graduation+day)
Not anymore. ;)

It's been forever since I've seen this, but I definitely had a good time. Wasn't there a death by football pass, too? I remember laughing quite hard at a scene like that in the woods. I still haven't busted open that dollar store DVD yet.

vampyr789
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Wasn't there a death by football pass, too?

yeah there sure is!! :lol:
there was some creative deaths in it!

that song at the beginning is classic..."Everybody wants to be a winner! A winner!"

Matt89
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I still haven't busted open that dollar store DVD yet.

Haha is it the DVD from "Legacy"? Jesus, their DVD releases are shit. Don't be too quick to rip that sucker open, it's VHS quality.

~Matt

HAEMORRHAGE
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Haha is it the DVD from "Legacy"? Jesus, their DVD releases are shit. Don't be too quick to rip that sucker open, it's VHS quality.

~Matt

Troma also released it.