PDA

View Full Version : "Freddy vs. Jason" Discussion Thread (MERGED)

Suicide
08-16-2002, 06:54 PM
I know theres a thread about this lurking somewhere on the forum, but I think this counts as different news though.

From Fangoria.com:

"August 15: Hodder out of FREDDY VS. JASON?

FREDDY VS. JASON begins shooting in Vancouver on September 9, but it appears that longtime Jason actor Kane Hodder will not be reprising his role in the eagerly awaited grudge match. Both New Line and a distraught Hodder himself tell Fango that the production has been auditioning other performers all week to take over the role, including HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION’s Shape star Brad Loree.

So why is the studio passing on Hodder, who has kept the character alive for the past 14 years and has emerged as a hero to fright fans? Both the actor and an anonymous New Line executive tell Fango that the production has “rethought” the character to make Jason both more sympathetic and a closer physical match to opponent Freddy (Robert Englund, who has signed on). To get an idea of what the filmmakers have in mind, the new Jason casting breakdown calls for an actor “who can emote pain and anguish over the loss of a loved one… [we’re looking for] someone with poetic eyes.” The idea is to make Jason a “sad, pathetic, Phantom of the Opera-type character,” says our New Line source.

Though Hodder has met with director Ronny (BRIDE OF CHUCKY) Yu, he admits that the production wants a “different body type” for the film. New Line, which expects to decide on its Jason star by this weekend, insists that Hodder is still being considered for his dream gig.

In other FREDDY VS. JASON news, screenwriter David (BLADE II) Goyer, who has been periodically involved with the project over the years, is polishing Mark Swift and Damian Shannon’s script, while STIR OF ECHOES’ Fred Murphy will serve as director of photography. In other casting, R&B singer Kelly Roland of Destiny’s Child is expected to take the film's female lead. And in yet another career-defining move for Bill Terezakis of WTC Productions, the Vancouver-based FX artist (HOUSE OF THE DEAD, WILLARD, FINAL DESTINATION 2) will be providing the movie’s special makeup.

“We’re redesigning both the characters, Freddy and Jason,” Terezakis tells Fango. "We’re doing tons of stuff on this film, real interesting effects and makeup.” Regarding his and the industry’s resurgence in creature FX, he adds, “This is the Year of Rubber all over again. Everyone is doing makeup.”

Why must they kill everything I love? My hope for this movie is getting slimmer. Sure it will look good with Yu directing and I'm glad to hear about the "Year of Rubber" thing, but things are looking grim to me. Hopefully that's just rumors, but Fangoria has finally got their Internet shit together so I don't know.

And another thing I can't stress enough, why do they put singers in movies? Is New Line really that desperate for money that they need to try and get people who are fans of these "musicians" to see the movie just to watch their favorite singers act? Arrgh!
Anyway I'm done.

moogong
08-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Regardless of what they do, I will be there opening night. Having Jason more emotional might suck though simply because he is a killing machine. Pure and simple.

KR~!
08-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by moogong77
Regardless of what they do, I will be there opening night. Having Jason more emotional might suck though simply because he is a killing machine. Pure and simple.

Well, not to be take sides but, Jason was like that in part two...
then never again... until now I suppose.:rolleyes:

rhett
08-16-2002, 07:52 PM
I really hope they stay close to the original characters...even if Kane isn't involved. Giving him more emotion would definitely be how Jason was in Part 2, so I could see this idea as a potentially good one. Using rubber rather than CGI is also great, as it will give the film a visual look reminiscent of the previous films in both series (Jason X not included). Looks to be an interesting production...

S-10
08-16-2002, 07:57 PM
Stokely Chaffin,producer of "I know..." 1 and 2,'Soul Survivors" and other assorted crappy movies,is supposedly producing.
That explains the shitty news.:(

Suicide
08-16-2002, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's not as bad as I make it out to be in my tiny rant there. Just I really have little hope for the movie right now. I really hope I'm wrong though. I wonder what the poster will look like? If there are any floating heads, I'm kicking some ass.

John
08-16-2002, 11:43 PM
It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. We will all look good wearing t-shirts that have Jasons poetic eyes or Michael Myers puppy dog "don't kill me Laurie" look from H20. :)
I guess the horror genre is getting in touch with its feminine side.

chrishicks
08-16-2002, 11:46 PM
As long as they don't throw daisies at each other until their arms get tired I'm fine with it.:D

DVD Connoisseur
08-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by chrishicks
As long as they don't throw daisies at each other until their arms get tired I'm fine with it.:D

You been sneaking a peek at the script again, Chris? That's a spoiler and don't you know it?:D

WesReviews
08-17-2002, 05:47 AM
Anyone who wants to let New Line know that we all want Kane, I strongly urge you to e-mail them at...

movies@newline.com

Please, be polite.

It may be too late, but we can try.

SEANVALEN
08-17-2002, 05:49 AM
Well who to says how Jason reacts to Humans, in a cold way, means he also reacts to the supernatural Freddy, maybe there's something in Jason that's got to be different if he's going against Freddy, if they don't do something interesting like this, then they can't make it edgier enough to separate it from the other movies, it must provoke a reaction but be smart and logical and yet moving on, the people behind it want to make a good film, and not all Jason and Freddy films are good films, so not to be more smart, I think would be a let down. This is a unigue vs film, so I think something more fresh merits it.

Andrew
08-17-2002, 06:07 AM
Sean, no ones looking for an intellectual stimulating picture when they sit down for Jason or Freddy, so I wouldn't count on it :D.

thrashard76
08-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Perhaps the movie will be set in time before each series original movies and all their sequels afterwards. That means that all the rampages wouldn't have nullified the two villians senses.

Or maybe the movie is just gonna suck BIG TYME! :D

KillerCannabis
08-17-2002, 08:04 PM
I REALLY hope this doesnt suck, but I have a bad feeling that it may. The fact that Hodder is gone, though he isnt THAT important to the role, is a let down. I like knowing that he's donning the hockey mask and not some dipshit fresh off the latest Halloween movie set. And the whole "making Jason feel for people" thing, I think its a horribly shitty idea. Jason is a brutal killing machine. Plain and simple. Doing anything else with his character would just be stupid. Hopefully someone with some brains over there will make the right changes.

bigdaddyhorse
08-18-2002, 03:07 AM
This movie is a bad idea that's just getting worse with every bit of news I hear.:confused:

KR~!
08-18-2002, 04:22 AM
Well, if it means anything, Superman vs Batman looks like it will suck too ;)

rxfiend
08-18-2002, 08:57 AM
"Superman vs Batman" has been put on hiatus as of recently. could be a good sign ;)

Wez4555
08-18-2002, 09:54 AM
i dont know if this has been posted or not (im too lazy to look sorry haha) but on that "other site's board" someone gave news that they where going to make jason sensitive. also have feelings. now i say WHAT THE FUCK? the whole reason we love jason is cause hes a mean bastard that has no heart and doesnt give a shit about anyone. also he kills without reason and saves nobody. the only ones he doesnt hurt are kids. now there going to make him have feelings? maybe thats why kane hodder wasnt doing this movie. he didnt want his legacy of being a bad ass jason to be urinated all over.

rhett
08-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Jason definitely had feelings in Part 2, caring about avenging his mother's death. It was this Jason that ended up being my favorite, and if this emotions thing is true, I hope they keep it subdued like it was on Part 2. It was not a huge part or anything, but just big enough to make his plight understandable.

rxfiend
08-18-2002, 04:06 PM
i bet at the end of FvJ, they both give each other a big hug and start crying.

:D

Mr_Man
08-18-2002, 07:09 PM
Wouldn't surprise me ,Holywood is nuts. :rolleyes:

zombi3
08-20-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Chris Phelps
Both the actor and an anonymous New Line executive tell Fango that the production has “rethought” the character to make Jason both more sympathetic and a closer physical match to opponent Freddy (Robert Englund, who has signed on). To get an idea of what the filmmakers have in mind, the new Jason casting breakdown calls for an actor “who can emote pain and anguish over the loss of a loved one… [we’re looking for] someone with poetic eyes.” The idea is to make Jason a “sad, pathetic, Phantom of the Opera-type character,” says our New Line source.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They might as well give him pigtails and a pink dress to go with those "poetic eyes".

WesReviews
08-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Guys, relax.

Wolf, over at the official Friday the 13th message board, got in touch with Stokley Chaffin, one of the Executives on Freddy vs Jason, and it looks like this film is exactly what we all want it to be. Check it out here or just read below...

http://www.fridaythe13thforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16809

"I sent Stokely an email about the current situation.

To my surprise, she emailed me back and wanted my phone number.

Tonight, she called me, and we had a 25 minute phone converstation.

I can't tell you guys everything of course. I know some spoiler stuff, but I will definitely leave that out.

When I emailed her, I told her how important the character is to us. It seems New Line is always looking for a gimmick for Jason...whether its Manhattan, hellbabies, or space. Now, he's "sad and pathetic."

This is all setup stuff. It doesn't describe any scenes.

First, she didn't say Sad and Pathetic. Stokely doesn't feel that Jason is sad and pathetic. She describes him as one of the kids who ends up shooting the kids at school because he was picked on. You don't feel sorry for the kids who did the shooting...they are evil...but you at least see there was something that set them off.

Jason size.....he's not going to be a hulk. He might be taller than Kane, but he won't be as thick. Is Kane Jason? It doesn't look like it. Stokely asked my impressions of a certain actor who plays another killer. I told her that fans wouldn't like it...especially since this other guy is playing a very popular killer.

For those that want Jason to return to his 1-4 roots, you will be happy. The production team wants him to be scary again. He'll still be a super strong killer, but expect some tussles with victims instead of........victim+Jason=scene over, victim dead.

About Jason's sensitive side. There is no justification for what Jason does...he is evil. But there is a reason for it, and FVJ will remind you of why.

Freddy is the more dark Freddy in the earlier films. The humor is on par with those movies.

Some of you are going to be disappointed about Kane. The ONLY reason Kane is not in FVJ is because of his size (not height...not money). They do want to get away from Jason being a tank.

Shannon and Swift's script was very solid. Goyer is finished with his revisions, and she feels that the script has everything she wants. Goyer was not brought in because the script was weak. Goyer is just more experienced, and they wanted some things added.

We discussed a NUMBER of issues. She just wanted my opinion.....a fan's opinion.

I told her many would be angry with any changes with the character. But she said she's not changing...she's restoring who Jason really is. Instead of a mindless machine...he's a killer who is bent on revenge. He has a past.
And Jason can appear different....after all, he's been in hell for many years.

She cared about what I had to say. It really is shocking that she called. She was extremely nice!

I don't know everything, but feel free to ask me questions."

KR~!
08-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks for that update!

"Stokely asked my impressions of a certain actor who plays another killer. I told her that fans wouldn't like it...especially since this other guy is playing a very popular killer."

This went way over my head :o

S-10
08-21-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by KR~!
Thanks for that update!

"Stokely asked my impressions of a certain actor who plays another killer. I told her that fans wouldn't like it...especially since this other guy is playing a very popular killer."

This went way over my head :o

Lets just say that he's the current "Shape" of a franchise.

If you don't get that,then.... meh.

Fart Lighter
08-21-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by zombi3
They might as well give him pigtails and a pink dress to go with those "poetic eyes".

Don't tempt them!

Actually after reading that above from the NEw Line exec, I feel a little easier about this movie.

Does anyone know if they're still going with the alternate endings idea?

Otherwise, we already know that Jason wins as he turns up in JASON X, albeit turned back into a 'mindless killing tank' that FvJ's producer wants to get away from.

S-10
08-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Fart Lighter
Otherwise, we already know that Jason wins as he turns up in JASON X, albeit turned back into a 'mindless killing tank' that FvJ's producer wants to get away from.

All that means is he COMES BACK from what ever damage Freddy dished out.Freddy and Jason always come back.

KR~!
08-22-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by S-10

Lets just say that he's the current "Shape" of a franchise.

If you don't get that,then.... meh.

:( can you dumb it down a little :o

zombi3
08-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Great! Now they can make Friday part XII take place between JGTH and FvJ and call it "Jason Takes Slim-Fast". You know - for continuity. :p

S-10
08-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by KR~!

:( can you dumb it down a little :o

Brad loree,Michael Myers in Halloween 8.Geez.;)

KR~!
08-22-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by S-10

Brad loree,Michael Myers in Halloween 8.Geez.;)

Can you go a little dumber? :o Ya mean the guy with the knife? :(

Anyway, I stopped caring about Halloween after that part 3. The 1st two are very cool, 3rd sucked, the rest have been boring, IMHO as far as I seen, that why I didn't follow you :p

novaguy2000
08-23-2002, 06:58 PM
From e-online:

KILLER DESTINY: Destiny's Child singer Kelly Rowland making her big-screen debut in New Line Cinema's upcoming Freddy vs. Jason, which pits screen horror icons Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees against one another in a duel to the un-death.

NickyDoyle
08-23-2002, 07:12 PM
There is a lot more info at G O R E Z O N E . N E T (http://www.gorezone.net), so check it out.

All I have to say is :eek:

KR~!
08-24-2002, 12:26 AM
Cool As!

Thanks for the link!

Suicide
08-24-2002, 04:25 AM
Wow, I haven't been in the slasher section in a while. When did I start this topic? Just kidding.

Is Kelly Rowland the ugly one or the hot one? I'm so out of it when it comes to popular music these days, I don't even know who these people are anymore. I think she's the ugly one.
Dammit, at least put a hot one in there if you are gonna use a popular singer as an actor to lure in the fans of that particular singer or group.

Guess there's nothing to do but wait and see how this movie tuns out, it'll probably be a while, but probably not too long though. I still have faith in Ronny Yu though, and I'll be happy to see Freddy again, eventhough some of the Nightmare movies were cheesy I always felt they were entertaining. I'm finally getting the DVD boxset by the way.

zombi3
08-24-2002, 09:50 AM
FvJ definitely sounds like it has potential, but when are these people gonna realize that putting asshole pop stars who can't act their way out of a wet paper bag in horror films IS NOT COOL?!!