PDA

View Full Version : CHUD

Jason Green
11-29-2000, 06:26 PM
www.dvdheadlines.net (http://www.dvdheadlines.net) posted that anchorbay is releasing CHUD next year..I went to anchorbay and sure enough it's true!

Maybe I'm late but it's news to me http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif
Release date is 1/30/01

Rock
11-29-2000, 10:08 PM
I see that AB lists the running time of the upcoming DVD at 96 minutes, which is longer than the 87-minute big-build-up-to-nothing movie I saw at the drive-in back in 1983 but much shorter than the reported 110-minute original version.

ArrowBeach
11-30-2000, 07:04 AM
96 minutes? Sounds like the TV version, that added some scenes, but had "re-shot" violent scenes, scenes that got shuffled around, and slowed down end credit. With the recent SLEEPAWAY CAMP, gos I hope it isnt the TV print! The old cinemax print they ran 15 years ago was longer than the media or Stramker videos interestly enough.

David666
12-08-2000, 04:20 AM
I do recall an article in Fango a few years back about CHUD. Although not entirely impressed with the film, I was hoping that Anchor Bay would release the unrated version of the film. Fango reported that the original running time was nearly 30 min lonnger then the 86 min approx final cut. The unrated version contains the infamous slaughter scene in the cafe at the conclusion of the film. I was hoping to finally see this, but as Anchor Bay has announced that their release will be the R-rated version I think I will pass on it. If Anchor Bay keeps this up (Sleepaway Camp's release was just scandalous wasn't it?) their many adoring fans won't be so adoring.

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

Django
12-08-2000, 09:34 AM
Great, another Anchor Bay DVD of a movie most people could care less about including myself.

And why isn't Waxwork, Night of the Creeps, Sundown, or any of the dozens of films that escape me at this moment not under consideration yet I get the option of buying CHUD and The Stuff?

And where's Ab's Elvira DVD for that matter?

ArrowBeach
12-08-2000, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Django:
Great, another Anchor Bay DVD of a movie most people could care less about including myself.

And why isn't Waxwork, Night of the Creeps, Sundown, or any of the dozens of films that escape me at this moment not under consideration yet I get the option of buying CHUD and The Stuff?

And ironically, they would do their best to find the uncut copy of Italian films, but when it comes to US classic like this, ...nothing? I guess the Italians are cheaper when it comes to letting them use los tfootages, I guess. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

PS did you noticed GONE IN 60 SECONDS the original 1974 came out on a smaller DVD label, apperently AB turned it down, and NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE is carrying it, and no one seem to have bought it. Whay cant we all just get along?:wink:

[This message has been edited by ArrowBeach (edited 12-08-2000).]

ArrowBeach
12-08-2000, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by David666:
I do recall an article in Fango a few years back about CHUD. Although not entirely impressed with the film, I was hoping that Anchor Bay would release the unrated version of the film. Fango reported that the original running time was nearly 30 min lonnger then the 86 min approx final cut. The unrated version contains the infamous slaughter scene in the cafe at the conclusion of the film. I was hoping to finally see this, but as Anchor Bay has announced that their release will be the R-rated version I think I will pass on it. If Anchor Bay keeps this up (Sleepaway Camp's release was just scandalous wasn't it?) their many adoring fans won't be so adoring.

David666,did you noticed that the ending is actually should have been in the middle? 1hr and 5 minutes into the film, there is a scene where the cops are around a diner surrounded by polica barricade and crime scene ropes, , saying there was a attack, there are reporters and when you look at the diner at the end, THATS THE DINER! I think they shuffled the scene around to have "CHUDS are still alive" ending, so the original intention of the filmmakers I guess was CHUD is dead, and not still alive style of ending. Neat,huh?

ArrowBeach
12-08-2000, 04:08 PM
Actually, wouldnt it be cool if ANCHOR BAY released a limited edition tin, with both CHUD and its sequel CHUD 2, BUD THE CHUD? Who can forget the cinamtic masterpiece that is CHUD 2! If surpassed the first one in terms of firght and story, the music was great, the title song will never leave your head, it is a masterpiece that deserves a second life!!!! BRING CHUD 2 TO DVD!!!!

JBENE
12-08-2000, 07:26 PM
I love AB to death but why are they putting out R Rated releases of SLEEPAWAY CAMP, SLUGS, and MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE.Maybe so they can re-release an UNCUT version so I'll have to buy another disc.I think they are releasing too many titles too fast.

------------------
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.And I'm all out of bubblegum
-THEY LIVE

Dave
12-09-2000, 12:43 AM
Good points guys.

I too would love to see Waxwork. I may just end up buying the laserdisc. That was a really good movie.

Sequel had Bruce in it, right?

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

MovieFan
12-09-2000, 01:50 AM
I love AB to death but why are they putting out R Rated releases of SLEEPAWAY CAMP, SLUGS, and MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE.

Anchor Bay said they couldn't even find an unrated cut of Maximum Overdrive.

Mid 2001/Late 2001

Now for Chud itself. IMO, I didn't like the film that much. But then again, what do I know? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Mark Relford
12-09-2000, 03:34 AM
The only AB title that I'm looking forward to is Reform School Girls. (3-12-01)

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

Django
12-09-2000, 10:45 AM
God damn it.

OK, so I'm one of the biggest critics of Anchor Bay, that we all know. And as such I haven't been keeping up with what they've been up to recently. So after reading this topic but before I chimed in again, I decided to head over there and see what was up.

I have no more room to bitch now. Ever.

The following are AB titles I will be buying no questions asked over the next year...

Soon: Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, Black Moon Rising, Cockfighter, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and Manhunter.

Early 2001: The Fourth Man (Verhoeven), Hell Comes to Frogtown, House By the Cemetery, Maximum Overdrive (was there ever an unrated cut of this?), Soldier of Orange (Verhoeven), and Turkish Delight (Verhoeven).

Mid 2001: Elvira, House/House 2 D.F., Maniac, Midnight Madness, Re-Animator, Spacecamp, Suspiria, and Wanted Dead or Alive.

Late 2001: Bad Taste, Business Is Business (Verhoeven), Cannibal Apocalypse, A Girl Named Katy Tipple (Verhoeven), Mountain of the Cannibal God, and The Stunt Man.

And does anyone know what's up with the 2 Disc Highlander set they have up for 2002?

maniacjack
12-11-2000, 10:54 AM
There's a review of the dvd at www.dvdmaniacs.net (http://www.dvdmaniacs.net) which talks about the running time. Apparently there are more hidden scenes as easter eggs.

ArrowBeach
12-11-2000, 12:19 PM
Was there another version to CHUD? The reviewer mentions the new version explains WHY the detective wanted to go after CHUD, yet the old MEDIA VHS and STARMAKER I have, as well as the IMAGE LD I have has that scene where he explained to Stern that the CHUDS got to his wife. Was there another version released several years ago? I wounder if they restored the footages that was in the cable version.

DVD Connoisseur
12-11-2000, 08:51 PM
Django, you sound like you've been converted! I echo your sentiments - AB's releases for 2001 read like a wish list. There's some great titles listed - I'm really looking forward to House by the Cemetary, Opera, Bad Taste and Manhunter. I've still my reservations about that Candy limited tin, though....

Django
12-12-2000, 08:26 AM
Nope, I ain't been converted so much as having my hand forced in the matter. See, I can say with no uncertain terms that I will feel cheesed off with at least half of those titles whether its because of a lack of extras or shotty disc manufacture.

Then at some point one will be announced as being available only in one of those blasted tins or more to the point I'll be forced into buying the tin just to get the damn movie.

Which pisses me off. But I want the movies so I'm screwed.

At least MGM is charging me $39.99 for Cherry 2000...

Jasondog
12-13-2000, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Django:

At least MGM is charging me $39.99 for Cherry 2000...

I would pay $139.99 for this, in any form (except P&S)

ctyner
12-13-2000, 04:21 AM
Cherry 2000 retails for a dirt-cheap $14.95, has an anamorphic widescreen transfer, and extras consist of the theatrical trailer and some featurette-type stuff... Definitely going into my collection.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ctyner) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

David666
12-19-2000, 01:37 PM
Django:
"And why isn't Waxwork, Night of the Creeps, Sundown, or any of the dozens of films that escape me at this moment not under consideration yet I get the option of buying CHUD and The Stuff?"

No shit, man! Waxwork NEEDS the AB treatment. Night of the Creeps is long overdue. And Sundown, man that was the funniest movie wasn't it?

Perhaps one day I'll get The Stuff, its just not high on my list.

What Anchor Bay really needs to do is get the rights to Werewolf the series and release a kick-ass Jurrassic Park/Lost World delux collector's edition. Man, I think it'd sell out in a month.

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

ArrowBeach
12-20-2000, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by David666:
Django:
"And why isn't Waxwork, Night of the Creeps, Sundown, or any of the dozens of films that escape me at this moment not under consideration yet I get the option of buying CHUD and The Stuff?"

No shit, man! Waxwork NEEDS the AB treatment. Night of the Creeps is long overdue. And Sundown, man that was the funniest movie wasn't it?

Perhaps one day I'll get The Stuff, its just not high on my list.

What Anchor Bay really needs to do is get the rights to Werewolf the series and release a kick-ass Jurrassic Park/Lost World delux collector's edition. Man, I think it'd sell out in a month.

WAXWORK is owned by Artisian. so is SUNDOWN. NIGHT OF THE CREEPS might now be owned by image,so perhaps we should find out and demnand image do something? they did it for SHORT CIRCUIT, so why not CREEPS?

Vdlman
12-20-2000, 12:58 AM
I think Night of the Creeps is owned by HBO. So perhaps we could try to get them to sublicense it to somebody like Image or Pioneer for a nice special edition.

landrvr
12-20-2000, 03:35 AM
holy shit. i honesty can't believe most of you guys didn't like CHUD!? what is happening around here? guys..... it's CHUD!! you know; with daniel stern? are we talking about the same movie? are there two films named CHUD? "hey, is this thing on?"

i mean, fuck! many of you have nothing but praise for a total piece of shit film like Sleepaway fucking Camp, but you don't think CHUD was that great? CHUD is a kick-ass little movie (which never takes itself too seriously) that far exceeded what i was expecting when i entered the theater.

now, Waxwork. okay. i'm with you there. another cool flick that rose above expectations.

sleepaway camp, indeed.

CHUD Tin Anyone? hee hee.

[This message has been edited by landrvr (edited 12-19-2000).]