PDA

View Full Version : Ring (Merged US Remake Threads)

dvdasia62
07-29-2002, 06:33 AM
Just thought all you fans of the original "Ring" would like to know that Hollywood has changed the name of their ripoff, I mean, remake to "Seven Days". From Horrorview:

WHEN IS A RING NOT A RING.......?

.......Apparently when Hollywood says so!! The "Ring" in question is the glitter city remake of the modern classic Japanese horror film "Ringu" (Ring) which has now been retitled Seven Days in an apparent attempt to alienate fans of the original already outraged that Hollywood had the hubris to go and remake a film that many consider to be perfect as is.

How's that for remakes kids? :)

DVD Connoisseur
07-30-2002, 02:02 AM
Hollywood never fails to amaze me with its shenanigans.

Still, I'm curious to see what this remake turns out like. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on this one....

mcchrist
07-30-2002, 03:05 AM
This has to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. They're probably afraid of Lord of the Rings II nipping at their heels or something.

Hollywood is retarded, I can't figure them out!

This is going to bug me the rest of the week!

Erg0n
07-30-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist

Hollywood is retarded, I can't figure them out!

So true, talk about money mongers. They should adapt David letterman's idea of only releasing 12 really good movies a year, instead of the crap they're doing now

rxfiend
07-31-2002, 06:29 AM
AICN is now saying that it will be "The Ring" and not that new title. but then again, it is AICN.. lol

we'll see...

Erg0n
07-31-2002, 07:58 AM
when they say remake, does that mean 90% of the film's story line will be untouched?

Wez4555
07-31-2002, 08:19 AM
no just the other 10%

KillerCannabis
08-03-2002, 10:22 PM
Though I usually hate remakes (a few select ones aside) I'm going to give this one a chance. I'm sure it has sucking potential, but it DOES have Naomi Watts and it is a remake of a good movie. Hollywood doesnt know how to make a good flick these days, but maybe I could get a pleasant surprise from this one. When is it opening again?

rhett
08-04-2002, 08:12 PM
The preview at Signs I saw definitely had it listed as The Ring. I am actually quite interested in seeing it, the trailer is very creepy and well done.

I personally have no problems with Hollywood redoing excellent foreign films. For me, Insomnia was one of the best films of the year. I'd rather see Hollywood borrow a foreign story in order to make a good film than see them give us another Rush Hour or Children of the Corn.

bwana the clown
08-11-2002, 05:56 AM
As a big fan of The Ring, I'm against the remake, especially seeing as the movie isn't even 5 years old yet. But if there's one consolation, it's that the remake couldn't be any worse than The Ring 2 which I just saw last night.

I want my 90 minutes back!

slinker
08-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Personally i loved Ring 2..apart from the confusing story line, some of the scenes were handled very well and the scares were just as effective, which is hard to do when theres soo much to live up to! :) i will go and see the re-make but im not expecting much :rolleyes:

maybrick
08-11-2002, 10:19 PM
I watched Ring 2 earlier this week and I was fairly disappointed. Of course, it probably would have easier for me to understand had the subtitles been easily readable rather than whited out most of the time. I'd blame it on it being a VCD only I had also recently watched "The Eye" and "Kairo" and neither of those were hard to read.

As for the remake of The Ring, I'll save my money, thank you very much. I don't have to see every horror film that comes out.

LJMurder
08-12-2002, 08:38 AM
yeah, that's the bad part of getting VCDs. white on white makes some movies almost impossible to understand. the DVD of Ring 2 has perfect subtitles though. the downside is that it cost like 4 times as much as the VCD

bwana the clown
08-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately the Australian DVD of both movies have burnt in subtitles, and suffer the same problem. When will people learn?

LJMurder
08-12-2002, 05:02 PM
damn, who released the australian DVD? the UK Tartan release is the one I have. you have to have PAL conversion on your player to watch it though. I hate it when people burn the subs into the movie. it's like getting a VCD but more expensive. I always feel somehow ripped off, like I got a bootleg or something.

mcchrist
08-12-2002, 10:58 PM
Why worry about remakes when there's all those unofficial sequels out there coming from Hong Kong and Korea and wherever. It seems like every time I visit poker industries, I'm greeted with another Ring sequel. The Ring might very well become the new Django when it comes to knock offs. By the way, I saw the trailer for the American remake and it doesn't look half bad (considering I haven't seen the original.)

thegreeninferno
08-19-2002, 08:56 AM
I had nothing but bad feelings when I heard/read about Hollywood making a reake of 'the Ring'. After witnessing the trailer, I must say the film does looks promising. But why couldn't they just release the original in America...oh wait, sorry...I almost forgot how things work around here.

DeepDownTraumaHound
08-21-2002, 06:06 AM
heard an extremely psoitive review from a friend that saw a working print of Dreamworks RING today. it was said that it stuck to the original pretty well. no more details, but it's all good (I hope).

_pi_
08-21-2002, 04:10 PM
I hope it's better than the original, as I disliked that one very much.

The trailer for the new one, however, is one of the best trailers I've seen in a while - as good as the original teaser for The Cell, and that's quite a feat!

Fistfuck
08-21-2002, 07:45 PM
It's being made with a $60 million budget though. Is it just me, or does that turn anyone else off?

DVD Connoisseur
08-21-2002, 09:12 PM
It's a US remake but it's still kind of Asian horror so I'm placing it with the other, similarly veined threads....

Gnaghi
09-07-2002, 07:23 AM
i just watched the tape that they watch in the remake... seemed pretty cool... hope i dont die :)... that nail through the finger hurt.