PDA

View Full Version : Popping My Asian Horror Cherry

Andrew
08-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Got a boot VHS of BATTLE ROYALE today, I'll check back in to discuss it after I watch it. It looks cool. It's letterboxed, subtitled, and uncut. Never seen any Japanese horror, and I talked to the guy for awhile and he said this was the best. So...here I go...:D.

dvdasia62
08-24-2002, 10:18 PM
Well, I personally wouldn't classify the film as Asian horror at all, more an action flick if anything. Hope you like it, I thought it sucked. :)

DVD Connoisseur
08-24-2002, 11:15 PM
Great film...this is borderline horror, IMHO. There's certainly a fair bit of violence in this movie....welcome to the Asian film experience, AndrewBBD!

Max Yokell
08-25-2002, 12:18 AM
Good Movie but not really horror, more like bloody gory Action to me. :)

Max

Andrew
08-25-2002, 05:46 AM
Awesome movie!!! Gotta get more shit, I'm thinking VERSUS, JUNK, and RING?

Shannafey
08-25-2002, 05:53 AM
Andrew, I have made several posts in other threads on this. I loved Battle Royale. I have a friend who lives in Hong Kong who brought me over a vcd of it. I also managed to find a copy of Ring, and also loved it. But, what I was going to tell you was, I have been trying to find Versus and Junk for some time, and last week I went to a collectibles show down here in South Florida and there was a dealer from the Orlando area that had loads of Japanese stuff on dvd. I got Versus and Junk. Versus is an incredible anamorphic transfer, all region. Junk is a step above vcd quality, but they were cheap at the show and their website is www.yumyumanime.com They are doing more shows and they have plenty of stuff I want, including Wild Zero, so I will definitely be buying from them. I too, am hooked on the Japanese films.

Andrew
08-26-2002, 08:03 AM
Cool. I'm not really interested in WILD ZERO cuz there's the SYNAPSE disc coming, but I might get those two. Thanks for the link!

KillerCannabis
08-26-2002, 10:45 AM
Ah, my favorite films of the moment. I'd recommend seeing Ring, Ring 2, Versus, Riki-Oh, Battle Royale (watch it again, and again.....), Audition and Freeze Me. That should do you good for now.

DVD Connoisseur
08-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Guys, don't forget that Unearthed Films have Junk (and Evil Dead Trap 2) planned for their future releases.;)

Shannafey
08-26-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
Ah, my favorite films of the moment. I'd recommend seeing Ring, Ring 2, Versus, Riki-Oh, Battle Royale (watch it again, and again.....), Audition and Freeze Me. That should do you good for now.

KC, Where do I get Riki-Oh? All the rest are obtainable. yumyumanime has Freeze Me, and I might give that a try too. Might do Wild Zero from them too, since I don't have confidence that the Synapse release will be anytime soon.

KillerCannabis
08-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Believe it or not, you can find Riki-Oh at either Suncoast or Best Buy if you really look for it. I found a copy at Suncoast for $29. It's only $19 at BB if you can find it. Or try ordering it online if all else fails.

Shannafey
08-27-2002, 09:16 PM
I emailed yumyumanime and they told me they have Ricki-Oh in stock and are going to put it up on the site in the next couple of days. I am going to get one from them at the next collectibles show in September.

Mr.Vengance
09-16-2002, 08:53 PM
Hey Shannafey, what's the details on this collectible show? I too am from Florida (Sarasota to be exact) and would love to know more about upcoming conventions. Do you have a website that you check for that sort of thing?

BloodMan
09-17-2002, 12:29 AM
Yo AndrewBBD!
You should check out a film called MUSA as well. Its not a horror flick though, its more an action drama type of film. The battles are bloody... and Zhang Ziyi is in it too!!!
:) :) :) :)

Peter Vincent
09-27-2002, 05:00 PM
This guy on another forum wouldn't shut up about The Eye and it was $14.75 US (w/shipping) at dddhouse so I caved in!

Never seen Asian horror B4, so here goes nothin'.

Can anyone give me any insight? Is this a good Asian title to pop my cherry with? I keep hearing its massive scary!

DVD Connoisseur
09-28-2002, 10:52 AM
I've been tied up with studying recently but expect some mini-reviews from me in late October once I've finished and caught up with my DVD purchases. One of the films on my list of DVDs to view (it's on my shelf at the moment) is The Eye.