PDA

View Full Version : Sleepaway Camp DVD - What's Cut???

Wampyr80
09-02-2002, 06:03 AM
sorry if this was asked before but can anyone tell me what is missing from the anchor bay print? i checked the imdb and it mentioned some stuff like mpaa cuts but i have a feeling there's more to what is listed. i may have to take a trip to my local video store to see if they have this movie so that i can see these scenes. a list of what's missing would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

gunner
09-02-2002, 06:15 AM
This is from an earlier post of mine on the same subject...

1- Bare Asses Running Down The Dock

2- Partial Shot Of Snake Coming Out Of Kenny's Mouth

3- Partial Shot At The End Of The Scene Where Mel Gives The Kids Hell For Throwing A Water Balloon At Angela.

5- Shot Of Judy Saying "Same To You" To Ricky After He Flips Her The Finger During The Capture The Flag Game.

6- One Shot When Mel Finds Megs Dead Body In The Abandoned Cabin.

Also I Should Note, The "Slap" Sound Effect Is Missing When Mozhart's Face Makes Contact With Paul's Ass Cheeks During The Mind Over Matter Trick.

Wampyr80
09-02-2002, 06:22 AM
thanks gunner. sounds like these scenes aren't really worthwhile. i guess i'll just stick with my dvd and forget renting the vhs tape.

now if they only included the shots taken out of sleepaway camp 2 for a X rating on the dvd. oh well.

bigdaddyhorse
09-02-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by gunner
This is from an earlier post of mine on the same subject...

What kind of asses, women or little boys?
If little boys you know this is Michael Jackson's favorite horror movie.:D

gunner
09-02-2002, 06:42 AM
They're boys asses but mid-teenage boys. A little to old for Jackson's taste :D

DefJeff
09-02-2002, 06:49 AM
hhahaha, good old michael jackson bashing

Agent Z
09-02-2002, 07:57 AM
Another repost of mine (yes, I get a commission each time):)

SLEEPAWAY CAMP has yet to arrive on home video in its originally- intended form. A quick recap:

Media Entertainment (1984): This initial home video release is still the most complete version of SLEEPAWAY CAMP available to date, with the full, uncut theatrical presentation intact. However, Media's effort is not without some major drawbacks. For starters, as was the norm at the time, this was released full-frame and not widescreen. In addition, the image was not properly matted, which resulted in a poor framing and actually exposed a few goofs(see below) that normally would have been eliminated through a better framing of the image.

Video Treasures: SLEEPAWAY CAMP had its second life on home video on the el-cheapo Video Treasures label, which featured the same full-screen misframing that the Media version employed. In addition, this bargain bin bastard child had the usual drawbacks that came with all the other cheap tapes....EP mode....mono sound (ugh!)...and a nice faded picture quality that would jitter every few minutes to remind you that you truly do get what ya pay for. To add further insult to injury, this version is also missing the opening dedication by director Robert Hiltzik.

Anchor Bay: The 2000 Anchor Bay release of SLEEPAWAY CAMP was truly a mixed-blessing, to say the least. On the plus side, this version was released in its proper widescreen format with, quite simply, the best audio and video quality that this film has seen to date on home video. On the downside, the print used for this transfer, while probably the best looking print available, was also marred with a number of audio and video edits:

The shot of the male skinny-dippers racing down the dock into the water.

The audio during the "moment of impact" in the mind over matter
scene with Mozart is jumbled enough to ruin the great punchline of that scene!

When Kenny's corpse is discovered under the beached canoe, the beginning shot of the watersnake starting to slide out his mouth is gone.

After Mel scolds the kids for their water balloon attack on Angela. the kids start insulting Mel as he's walking away. Some of their comments are missing from the audio in this version.

When Mel discovers Meg's corpse in shower area, there are less shots of Meg's corpse than in the original release.

When Ricky flips Judy off, Judy's final retort is cut out.

Granted, none of these cuts are really consequential in the grand scheme of things, but they are CUTS nonetheless! Still, despite the cuts and audio miscues, this version seems the best bet for the time being simply because of the widescreen presentation and the great quality of the print.

NOTE: I mentioned earlier about how the lack of proper framing on the original Media release of SLEEPAWAY CAMP resulted in a number of goofs showing up that normally wouldn't have with a correct composition. Here are a famous few:

The boom mike visible above Lenny at the lake.

The infamous red tube top that Felissa wore for the final scene was visible on the first batch of Media tapes!

Apparently, Meg's black tube top for her shower scene was also visible.....although I haven't seen anything to confirm that.

On the Media release, when Paul and Judy are kissing in the woods, look carefully between them and you will see a bit of Felissa Rose's head peeking out toward the bottom of the screen as she is obviously in the background awaiting her cue to stand up. No matter which version you watch, you can see Felissa rising in the background though.

Wez4555
09-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
hhahaha, good old michael jackson bashing speakin of that fag...i like that shirt of him on rotten cotton that has a pic of him with his arm around a little boy and it says "fresh meat" hahahahahaha!

KillerCannabis
09-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Really? I think I'm going to head over to Rotten right now and order me one of those. I'm all for shirts that demean and put down celebs.

Jog
09-03-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by gunner

Oh heck. Now I remember those asses from the original video release. Thanks a lot!!! :eek: That's the real way to see Sleepaway Camp... renting it totally at random from the horror section of a Ma and Pa video store and having your jaw slam onto the floor...

Fistfuck
09-06-2002, 11:33 PM
Dammit, I want my bare asses!

Cydeous
09-11-2002, 11:38 AM
I just watched <B>Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers</B> for the first time and I have to say that it was nowhere near as good as the original. I laughed and I loved all of the tit shots but it lacked feeling.