PDA

View Full Version : DVD Double Features...

mutleyhyde
12-13-2000, 09:53 PM
Recently got Fox's The Fly/Return of the Fly dvd. Man, was that fun! I'm looking forward to picking up the other two discs, The Fly/The Fly II and Fantastic Voyage/Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (of which the trailers for were hilarious!). I realy like the idea of themed double features, as it's just a bargain ($20 retail, ain't bad, but I actually got mine for 13.99). I would like to have seen some more extras (only the trailers were included), but I think the package and price are pretty well matched up. Sure, separate extras laden special editions would've been cool, but also would've been $20-30 apiece. I'll bet they actually could have fit more extras on the discs, but hey, that would have probably driven the price up. I'm just glad that they're using the space. We all know that dvd can handle a lot of information now, so why not use it? Money of course! Here we've got two relatively short movies, which could have been released as separate discs and probably made more money (well, how many people would actually buy The Return of the Fly or The Fly II stand-alone?) but they decided to package them together. I have to commend Fox on this.

What do you guys think? Do you have to have a bunch of extras, or do you like getting multiple movies on one disc? That's probably a hard question for a lot of us, as we all have our favorites that we'd like special editions of. How then do we (or the dvd executives rather) manage the releases?

There have been a few examples other than the Fox dvds so far, such as the Wishmaster package and the Substitute (gag) package, but Fox's releases are the first real hits in my book. I'm sure there may be some others which I've left out, and if anyone knows of any out there currently or that are in the works, please let me know.
Be cool...

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Mark Relford
12-13-2000, 10:52 PM
M. Hyde, Something Weird's Bad Girls Go To Hell/Another Day Another Man is worth checking out, if you're a fan of bad movies. It's filled with drive-in intermissions, trailers, ad art, etc.
Sw's Marihuana/Assassin of Youth/Reefer Madness disc looks fantastic. (Hopefully, I'll get it for Christmas!) And we can't forget The Defilers/Scum of the Earth double feature! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif
This is not horror related, but Fox will come out with double features of Porky's/Porky's 2 and Revenge of the Nerds/Nerds In Paradise. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif
I enjoyed The Fly/Fly2 double feature, despite the lack of commentaries. The price was sweet, so I wont bitch too much. I would love to see Galaxy of Terror/Forbidden World and Rock N' Roll High School/Get Crazy double feature DVDs!!!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

Mark Relford
12-13-2000, 11:09 PM
Or how about a Bronx Warriors/Escape From the Bronx double feature DVD! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

SantaSangre
12-13-2000, 11:57 PM
Actually, the inclusion of the Fly II with the original is the main reason that I won't be buying it. If they had released it as a Special Edition with commentary and other things, I would have been all over it. I've seen this movie many times and really love it, but I don't see the point in buying a readily available movie on DVD without the incentive of extras.

On the other hand, I really love my Tombs/Return of the Blind Dead double feature. I'd be happier if they had released them separately with extras, though.
Carey

Jasondog
12-14-2000, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by SantaSangre:
I've seen this movie many times and really love it, but I don't see the point in buying a readily available movie on DVD without the incentive of extras.

...because its widescreen! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

I would have bought a bare-bones The Fly II, or a special edition. It isn't as good as the first but its still cool in a bad movie sort of way.

I have the double feature and its the shit.

Django
12-14-2000, 12:10 AM
You know I was looking over the list of DVDs I own, more specificaly the extras and you know what?

I could care less about anything other then the trailers. Here's why, when I was a LD-Head, commentary tracks were the closest I was ever going to get to film school so as such I took in as many as I could. And they were good.

But with both so many DVDs coming out and with most current movies sucking these days, I find that I never listen to them anymore. In fact the last one I heard all the way thru was Final Destination's cast commentary and I only did so as a way to check the disc.

Now I'm not saying that there shouldn't be more extras then we get or in some cases don't get already. But the fact is 99% of the time, the only things I watch multiple times are the trailers - which I tape over and over again on endless trailer tapes for friends and personal use - or music videos when they're included.

So as such, I'm happy with the Fox Double Feature disc I own which is The Fly/Return of the Fly one.

I never cared much for the remake anyway...

AceRimRat
12-14-2000, 12:29 AM
Overall, I think double-features can be a good idea if reasonably priced.

Usually, if you think about it, the sequel is an "added feature" in a lot of ways.

I think real big movies deserve SEs and stuff, but I've got no problem with packaging cult titles or lesser titles or things like that. Buying a bare-bones release of "The Fly" at $14.95 and one of "The Fly II" at $14.95 or buying one disc with both for $24.95? Well, you can say if you like the first one, you're getting jobbed, but if you consider the second one a feature, that's not so bad. I guess.

I own two double-feature discs: Artisan's "Arrival/Arrival 2" which I bought cause it was only a couple bucks more than the "Arrival" disc, which I wanted; and the Columbia (?) "El Mariachi/Desperado" disc which cost more but I really wanted.

My $.02, for what it's worth.

DopeChamberX
12-14-2000, 01:30 AM
I have mixed feelings on double features, I personally like Columbia's new way of handling similar themed movies, plus its still cheaper.

It's a hard sell, when the second film isn't one I necessarily like, or even seen. Case in point: Anchor Bay's House/House 2 double feature, never seen the second, don't really have a desire to own it.

I like owning things separately, another example would be the Cherry Falls disc coming out. I want to own it, but I sure as hell dont want Terror Tract. With films like these, I would much rather have them separate, or at least offer them separate for people who want them that way.

(Edited for spelling)
------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

[This message has been edited by DopeChamberX (edited 12-14-2000).]

rhett
12-14-2000, 03:02 AM
I remember watching House 2 all the time as a kid. It isn't much on the scares, but its fun. I am really looking forward to that House disc!

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

mutleyhyde
12-14-2000, 06:29 AM
Great replies y'all, thanks!

Mark, I saw the spread on the pot-head disc over at dvdUnleashed, and it does look great. I unfortunately have not invested much in Something Weird, Teaserama (GREAT disc!) being my only purchase so far. I know, I know - I'm missing out. Those Fox comedy releases sound great too!

AceRimRat, the Arrival/Arrival 2 disc is a great bargain, even though I don't own it. I actually only watched Arrival because Dad rented it when he came over once. I was really suprised and found it to be a very fun, entertaining movie. As for El Mariachi/Desperado, I've wanted that disc forever, but it's just too damned high!

Both Django and DopeChamberX have great views, revealing the diverse range of thought on the matter. I too rarely actually sit down anymore and watch the commentaries, but I guess I do sleep a little better at night knowing they're there. I also would be ticked if the powers that be came out with a bare bones double-feature of my personal favorites, but then how do you decide which titles to give special treatment and which ones to match up? That would be a tough job, as everybody obviously has different favorites.

I think the technology is present to release multiple title discs (there are two sides two every disc; let's use 'em!) along with extras. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe if you use both sides, you can't utilize the double-layer functionality that I suppose is required for extra laden features. But I think that at the rate that technology is increasing, it wouldn't be too difficult to get around. It's just a matter of time. The real question is if the studios will adopt a consumer friendly attitude and use the media to it's full potential, or if they adhere to bottom line ideology. Artisan, Fox and Columbia have shown a welcome effort in the consumer friendly direction, and I hope others follow suit. Let's get Nader in on this!!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 12-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 12-14-2000).]

Django
12-14-2000, 10:21 AM
You're right, Hyde. I'd hate to be the guy in charge of choosing which titles get the deluxe treatment and which ones don't if for no other reason then the sometimes unwarrented hatred from the fans that ensues.

Take The Fly remake for example. I know a lot of fans of the film who refuse to buy it solely because of the lack of extras. And while I can understand their stance, I just can't see how it helps to avoid a film that they love. Sure, not buying a bare bones release sends a message but at the same time it shows the moneymen - who truly run the show as we all know - that there isn't enough of a reason to warrent the extra cash when the one that already exists didn't sell. Course this is all crap to us fans, but to them it only registers that there is no interest in the title.

And another thing is maybe Cronenberg didn't want to contribute to a special edition. If memory serves me, I remember reading somewhere that he doesn't consider it one of his personal movies and as such it means less. Maybe we only get special editions when the filmmakers themselves care about creating one. Guys like Carpenter and Cameron come instantly to mind here.

Like a said a hundred times on here, for me its all about the movie. Sure, I'd like to see a special edition of Streets of Fire and would certainly buy one if it ever is released. But at the same time I realize that there probably isn't enough of a market for one to excuse sending a plane for Michael Pare so he can do a commentary track.

So I'm just glad to have it in my collection. And for the record, I'm still amazed that The Warriors is coming in about a month...

SantaSangre
12-14-2000, 02:54 PM
>>Take The Fly remake for example. I know a lot of fans of the film who refuse to buy it solely because of the lack of extras. And while I can understand their stance, I just can't see how it helps to avoid a film that they love. Sure, not buying a bare bones release sends a message but at the same time it shows the moneymen - who truly run the show as we all know - that there isn't enough of a reason to warrent the extra cash when the one that already exists didn't sell. Course this is all crap to us fans, but to them it only registers that there is no interest in the title.<<

Well, for me personally, the issue of special treatment is important because I'm a student and I don't have much money to spend on DVDs without some incentive. Sure, the Fly is worth a rental to see a cleaned-up widescreen picture, but I don't need to own it for that. Besides, extras don't have to involve the director at all. Look at the Something Weird releases. Those always have something cool.
Carey

Django
12-14-2000, 10:17 PM
And like I said, if you're unwilling to buy a movie because you feel there isn't enough extras on it then you're not truly a fan of the film and shouldn't own it in the first place...

hojimoji
12-15-2000, 12:04 AM
This is a double edged sword. Chances are if you are a fan of the movie and it's not that obscure, you've got a copy of it already. So, why put money into a DVD unless there is some incentive. For some people it's the transfer, for others it's the extras. It really does depend. So, you can't make a blanket statement that if you don't buy a bare-bones release you're not a fan.

I should note that about half the DVD's I own are repeats of tapes I have simply because of the extras they offer.

G.

SantaSangre
12-15-2000, 03:22 AM
>>And like I said, if you're unwilling to buy a movie because you feel there isn't enough extras on it then you're not truly a fan of the film and shouldn't own it in the first place...<<

What??? I was just saying why I hadn't bought the DVD, there's really no need to start insulting people.
Carey

landrvr
12-15-2000, 04:32 AM
django, you make some interesting points. i'll take it a bit further, if i may:

in addition to lack of extras, i completely do not understand how anyone can refuse to buy a fav movie on DVD because it doesn't have the anamorphic treatment! i mean, pleeeeeease. i've sat through an anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic demonstration at the Sony store here in chicago. they used a variety of tv's and players, and i could just barely tell the difference.

Django
12-15-2000, 09:31 AM
Santa, the second statement of mine is not insulting in the least but is in fact the truth. And with that I will continue to say that I feel that the logic behind it is 100% accurate.

Maybe that's because I was a collector of laserdiscs which in most cases failed to even include a trailer on the release. So to me the inclusion of a mere trailer is a quantum leap in fan relations.

And the reason to upgrade from video to DVD is clear. DVD won't wear out and is damn hard to break, two things that VHS can never say.

So like I said on many an occasion, it's hard for me to bitch about paying under twenty bucks for something that I would have spent $35 for more for less then five years ago...

Paff
12-15-2000, 05:35 PM
Well, Django, you're being a bit self-righteous and snobby, but guess what? I agree with you 100%

It never fails to irk me when some obscure film gets released, one that we've suffered through horrible edited pan and scan copies for years (Deep Red, perfect example). It literally looks better than it did in the theater the day it was released, and someone's gotta whine "there's no extras. And it costs too much". Please. You don't bitch at the theater if there's no extras, do you? Yet buying a movie on DVD can often be cheaper than going to the theater, the presentation is usually better, and repeat viewings are always free. Some people have no idea how good things are right now.

The same with the anamorphiacs who won't buy a movie if it isn't 16X9 enhanced. Now, I do see a huge difference in anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic (I think that Sony store didn't know what they were doing, or didn't offer a proper comparison, Landrvr), but once again, the movie is the most important thing.

(if you want a good anamorphic example, just watch the credits of an anamorphic disc, especially if it's white credits on a black background. Pause the disc, then change the setting of the player to 16X9. You'll notice the words are much clearer and less "blinky". That's anamorphic enhancement)

AceRimRat
12-16-2000, 01:30 AM
Got to agree with Django and Paff on this one. Without trying to be rude, if you love a movie, extras should be icing on the cake. I love extra stuff, but I buy very few movies for the extras/presentation, and I never hesitate to buy a movie I love, unless I hear the disc *really* stinks.

Even if we do b!tch about bare-bones releases a lot on this forum. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

hojimoji
12-16-2000, 04:28 AM
I just saw the light. I recieved The Princess Bride as an early Christmas present, and although it only has a trailer for extras, I love it. The truth is I would plunk down 30$ for a special edition with featurettes and some commentaries, but just seeing the bare-bones version of a movie I love makes the lack of extras very acceptable.

I relent, a new decent transfer should be enought to entice a buyer to purchase a film they love, regardless of the extras.

G.

Dave
12-16-2000, 04:39 AM
If it's a movie I like then I'm going to buy it if it's on DVD. Extras, as someone said, are icing on the cake. What irks me is when something like Escape From New York comes out on DVD without the LD extras. Image would've licensed them, but MGM didn't agree to the amount. We're not talking Princess Bride here where the extras are owned by Criterion who refuses to license supplements.

Anyway, it seems that most of my laserdisc collection isn't going anywhere, if not for extras alone. Who else owns:

Halloween SE LD + SE DVD
Escape From New York SE LD + DVD
Princess Bride SE LD + DVD

etc etc

But if something like The Beyond comes out with on extras (though that one did have extras), I'd buy it either way because I enjoy the movie and the DVD is a high quality presentation.

Deep Red - no problem, I own it. Extras are nice but I'll take high a/v quality first.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

MovieFan
12-16-2000, 04:40 AM
I like owning things separately, another example would be the Cherry Falls disc coming out. I want to own it, but I sure as hell dont want Terror Tract.

Same here. I don't want no John Ritter movie in my DVD collection (rule excludes Stay Tuned). http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

But at the looks of it, I'll wait for when the film is released on it's own in it's pure unrated gore fest fun.

[This message has been edited by MovieFan (edited 12-15-2000).]

AceRimRat
12-16-2000, 05:43 AM
How many of y'all who watched/avoided watching Three's Company growing up or whatever ever thought we'd be discussing John Ritter on a *horror* forum? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

ctyner
12-16-2000, 05:58 AM
MovieFan: What about "Bride of Chucky"? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif I also have "Stay Tuned", and I'm not overly enthusiastic about having to get "Terror Tract" with "Cherry Falls", but the single review of the film on the IMDb is positive. Looks like a horror anthology, which sounds fun.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ctyner) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

Django
12-16-2000, 10:45 AM
Hey Dave, on your cue I went back into my LD collection to see which ones have yet to be replaced by superior DVDs.

And for the sake of argument, here ya go not counting those damn Star Wars discs...

- Elite's deluxe Elm Street 1 set
- Japanese LD of Sam Raimi's The XYZ Murders aka Crimewave
- The Fog: Special Edition
- Elite's Dawn of the Dead CAV box
- Universal's Flash Gordon (has a trailer)
- Intruder (shitty Paramount cut edition)
- TRON CAV boxed set
- E.T. CAV boxed set
- Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3
- Strange Brew
- Cemetery Man
- Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers

Sure, I'm leaving a lot out that I was never motivated to buy because $40-$150 bucks is a lot to throw away on a movie I kinda like. And as you may know, I never got the EFNY LD.

Now from the above mentioned titles, most aren't currently available but will someday most likely be. And only 4 (Elm St, TRON, Dawn, and Flash) are out in lesser versions.

Only one of those truly pisses me off though...

SantaSangre
12-16-2000, 05:10 PM
I really wasn't going to say anything else here, but I think I've been misunderstood. I don't buy all my movies based on extras alone. It's just with The Fly that I've seen it so many times that the only thing I'd be interested in here is some new information. Quite a few of my movies don't have any extras at all (or just a trailer) and I'm quite happy with them. I've said here before that I own Deep Red because it's uncut and the transfer is so gorgeous. Anyway, I don't like that I seemed to be misconstrued as "not a real fan," because that's completely wrong.
Carey

Jeremy
12-17-2000, 03:17 AM
I do have one point to make as far as the LD/missing extras argument goes. I for one never got into laserdisc; had I been born 3-4 years earlier, I probably would have, but by the time I was really old enough to get a lot of disposable income, DVD was already on the scene.

A lot of people criticize the lack of LD extras on the DVD releases, and I can certainly understand that. But I think you should also take into account that there are a lot of people who didn't have laserdisc, and that the DVDs, even the ones without all the supplements, are usually a huge step up for them from that medium. The DVDs of Escape from New York, Halloween, etc, are all much better than their VHS counterparts.

Django
12-17-2000, 10:46 AM
Bingo and to back you up I will offer this.

The infamous Criterion Halloween SE not only cost over a hundred bucks when it came out, but only offered the television scenes at the end of each side which ment you had to program your player to stick them into the movie. The downside was there was a second or two black pause as it skipped tracks.

As far as extras go, you got the trailer, a brief snippet of an old Siskel and Ebert Sneak Previews where they defended their stance on the film, and the commentary which believe me, wasn't all that great. In fact, Carpenter sleepwalked thru most of it and Jamie Lee Curtis mainly cracked wise which left Debra Hill to pick up the slack.

Only at the end did Carpenter wake up and begin talking about his theme of surviving the night.

While a lot shorter, the documentary on the LE DVD is a hell of a lot more informative.

As for Escape, the only extras we're missing are a 20 minute or so interview with Carpenter and the Russell/Carpenter commentary which yes is cool but not on par with their track to The Thing.

The Fog is even worse with Carpenter and Hill mainly narrating the on screen action, although we do learn that he named the pirate's ship after an old girlfriend and that his character at the beginning of the film is the deadbeat husband of Stevie Wayne. The other extras are the isolated score which is on CD, the trailer, some TV ads, and a montage of outtakes.

Out of all of the LDs in question, The Howling is the coolest and the one we're missing out on...

Jasondog
12-17-2000, 04:33 PM
Actually i really enjoyed the LD for Halloween. I thought the commentary is quite good, but i agree that Jamie Lee was doing most of the talking. It does sound a bit disjointed because i believe they recorded their commentaries seperately.

Still if you can find it it's worth it. I paid $17.99 for mine

Django
12-17-2000, 09:23 PM
See, $17.99 for the Criterion LD is most definately worth it.

A hundred or so, that's something else...

MovieFan
12-20-2000, 07:06 PM
MovieFan: What about "Bride of Chucky"?

I thought John Ritter's cameo (or whatever, he died pretty fast) ruined the whole film for me. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif I just didn't like "Bride of Chucky" and that's why it's not in my DVD Collection (but I do love the previous three "Child's Play" films).