Silver Bullet
Cujo

What's yours? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 12-13-2000).]

AceRimRat
12-14-2000, 12:42 AM
My favorites would be Shawshank (non-horror, I know...) and my guilty pleasure - Maximum Overdrive - hurry up, Anchor Bay! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

I think most of the rest suck, to be honest, but I haven't seen them all yet - though I have the Shining disc. Waiting for snowfall.

ArrowBeach
12-14-2000, 01:02 AM
STAND BY ME? It isnt horror but the pie scene was pretty gross.

I also liked CHRISTINE, and LWNMOWER MAN (even though it has NOTHING to do with his story)

Guilty pleasure would be GRAVEYARD SHIFT!

worst would be CUJO, SHINING, NEEDFUL THINGS.

hojimoji
12-14-2000, 01:13 AM
I thought The Stand was worth watching. Especially since they had to condense a 1,000+ page novel.

Vdlman
12-14-2000, 01:37 AM
My favorites would include Carrie, The Shining, The Dead Zone, Pet Sematary, Stand By Me, and The Shawshank Redemption.

Least favorites would be Sleepwalkers, The Shining (mini-series), and Thinner.

Guilty pleasures include Silver Bullet, Maximum Overdrive, and Needful Things.

rhett
12-14-2000, 01:46 AM
Favorites:
1. The Shining
2. Christine
3. Needful Things
4. Misery
5. Cat's Eye

Least Favorites:
1. Firestarter
2. Lawnmower Man
3. Sleepwalkers
4. The Mangler
5. Cujo

Guilty Pleasure:
Pet Semetary
The Running Man

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

joltaddict
12-14-2000, 05:17 AM
Why, why, why did they decide to change the ending to Cujo?!?!?! Cujo and Gerald's Game are my favorite King books by far and I have read them all. Besides butchering the ending (and kinda ruining the whole point) the DVD is full-frame, pan, featureless blah. A great book, you would think that if they liked the story enough to make it into a movie they wouldn't F with it.

I love Kubrick's The Shining but I am a big Kubrick fan, it probally has more to do with that than King. The Dead Zone would be the next best IMO.

Creepshow, Pet Semetary, Carrie, and Misery would get an honorable mention.

I was disappointed by The Stand.

Hated Needful Things.

Guilty pleasures? Firestarter and Cat's Eye (hmmm... is Cat's Eye on DVD?). No I don't have a thing for a pre-pubescent Drew Barrymore, it's a coincidence.

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)

DopeChamberX
12-14-2000, 05:59 AM
Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned It. thats by far my favorite. The very first part scares the crap out of me. I think Thinner and Storm of the Century (even though that's not a true king adaption, so it doesn't really count) were some of the worst I've seen. I also really like Silver Bullet, Carrie, and Cat's Eye, but It is still the best. Wish Warner would release this on DVD, my tape looks like hell (I have the whole 4 hours on one tape, uggh)

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

mutleyhyde
12-14-2000, 06:03 AM
Hey what's wrong with pre-pubescent Barrymore? E.T. gets me hot bay-bee! Man - that's just wrong, ain't it?

Favorites
1.The Dead Zone
2.The Dead Zone
3.The Dead Zone (Okay, so I like The Dead Zone)
4.The Shining (Kubrick masterpiece!)
5.Misery (That's just an evil fucking movie, and both leads are great!)

Favorite King double-takes (the ones you just don't expect from the guy)
1.Shawshank Redemption
2.Stand By Me
3.The Green Mile

Least Favorites
1.Tommyknockers
2.It
3.Sleepwalkers
(you could say I don't like much stuff made for t.v.)

Gulty pleasure - The Running Man - Great King book. Great Schwarzenegger movie. There are key differences in the scenery and endings, but I think both work quite well on their own merits.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

jimmyx
12-14-2000, 02:34 PM
As no-one has mentioned Salems lot yet I will put it in my top five along with.

2.Misery
3.The Shining
4.Carrie
5.The Dead Zone

Guilty pleasure would have to be Creepshow.

Worst
1.Second half of The Stand
2.The Nightflier
3.Langoliers

Rock
12-14-2000, 02:59 PM
Best:

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (should've won the Oscar, FAR better than that ridiculous FORREST GUMP)
DOLORES CLAIBORNE (Kathy Bates = awesome)
THE DEAD ZONE (Cronenberg!)
CUJO (a riveting improvement on the book, if you ask me)
'SALEM'S LOT (one of Hooper's last good movies)
STAND BY ME
CARRIE
THE GREEN MILE
MISERY

Worst:

CHILDREN OF THE CORN
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE
PET SEMATARY (except for the late, great Fred Gwynne)
THE MANGLER (except for Ted Levine)
THE SHINING (except for Scatman Crothers, Danny Lloyd, and the Overlook Hotel)
SLEEPWALKERS (except for Madchen Amick)

Just OK:

SILVER BULLET
FIRESTARTER
NEEDFUL THINGS
GRAVEYARD SHIFT
APT PUPIL
CHRISTINE
TOMMYKNOCKERS
IT

Wish someone would make right:

GERALD'S GAME (could be an effective psychological chiller in the right hands)

joltaddict
12-14-2000, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Rock:
Worst:
PET SEMATARY
THE SHINING

Wow I thought these were both VERY effective horror flicks.

I am in absolute 100% agreement with your comment on Geralds Game though. You think we could maybe CGI a prepubesent Drew Barrymore to chain to the bed?

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)

mutleyhyde
12-15-2000, 01:06 AM
Heh-heh... now you're thinkin'!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

M. Hyde

Mark Relford
12-15-2000, 05:27 AM
Interesting lists, guys! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif I'm surprised that The Dark Half didn't get mentioned yet.
I consider myself a Romero/King fan, but this movie was a disappointment. It was well made, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should give it another chance.
Have you guys seen any of the Tales From the Darkside episodes or The Night Shift Collection? (Based on King's short stories.)

------------------

mutleyhyde
12-15-2000, 05:31 AM
I haven't, but I must say that Night Shift is one of my favorite King books. I think I got a thing for short fiction, probably instilled by Papa Serling.

------------------

M. Hyde

Jasondog
12-15-2000, 07:06 AM
Gerald's Game is a GREAT book but i cant see it being made into a movie without it being X-rated. I mean the whole book is a naked chick strapped to a bed...maybe Kubrick coulda pulled it off http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

My fav King movies (in no particular order):

1. The Shining (Kubrick)
2. The Dead Zone
3. Maximum Overdrive (yes, im serious)
4. Silver Bullet
5. Christine
6. Sleepwalkers
7. The Dark Half
8. Cat's Eye
9. Needful Things

I leave out the non-horror movies cause we all know that The Shawshank Redemption kicked ass.

I really dig Maximum Overdrive. Its got great camp appeal.

I really wasnt overly impressed with the Stand, it was good, but not great.

DVD Connoisseur
12-15-2000, 10:51 PM
My favourite King adaptation is a tie between The Dead Zone (which was fabulously loyal to its source material) and Shawshank. The worst adaptation is also a tie - the made-for-TV "IT" was a travesty and gave King's best novel (IMHO) a bad name. The TV mini-series "The Stand" was equally appalling.

joltaddict
12-16-2000, 12:05 AM
Looks like the only movie that we ALL agree on is The Dead Zone. I would have bet on the Shining. I can't believe its actually on some worst lists.

------------------

rhett
12-16-2000, 07:53 AM
What ruined Pet Semetary was the ending...I haven't read the book, but the ending to me just seemed lame. Meh, Miko Hughes is cool.

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

David666
12-18-2000, 02:46 AM
I am not a King fan, first off. I used to be quite into his work, but after years of disappointing books, and his asinine comments regarding his fans during interviews have made me really dislike the man. Ungratful prick is a good term for him. Without his fans, he would not be living high-on-the-hog in his multi-million dollar home with his bank account stuffed to the brink. He NEEDS to be a little more respectfull of his fans. When he was hit by that car a few years ago, I was certain it was a disgruntled fan upset with his comments that had done it. I laughed my ass off when I heard that he'd been hit. He needed to be knocked down a peg or two or six. Anyway, I do like some of his films.

I love...

1. Firestarter: I loved this movie, my fave King based work. King reportedly hated it, but loved Barrymore's performance. Well, I hated the book, it was one of Kings just-so-so works. And the book's conclusion was rushed and badly written.

2. The SHining (Kubrick): King reportedly didn't like this adaptation either. Weird, because after seeing the mini-series in which he praised to no end, I was convinced that King was a moron. He altered his book more then Kubrick ever thought of doing. Kubrick's film is a masterpiece.

3. Needful Things: Hated the book, loved the movie.

4. Pet Sematary: Again hated the book, but loved the movie. If you have a problem with anything on film, just remember that King wrote the screenplay and had it as part of his contract that they had to film the movie exactly as he'd written it.

5. Carrie: goes without saying.

6. Misery: So much better then the novel!

I Hated...

1. The Shining Mini-Series: I think this is pretty universal, this thing just sucked!

2. Storm of the Century: Not quite an adaptation, but this film was exactly like King's novels... great opening, cool middle and lame as a dead duck ending.

3. The Green Mile: This crude, plagerized clone of Powder was greatly over-rated. No one other then a couple guys on here have argued my observation on this. Once I've made the comparissions, everyone else has agreed. As the only negative comments I've received were from members here, I am clearly not full of shit!

4. Stand By Me: Boring, but then so was the story.

5. The Tommyknockers: Yeah, the book sucked too.

6. The Langoliers: As dull as dirt, and just like the novela.

Guilty Pleasures...

Children of the Corn
Graveyard Shift (better then the short story)
Sleepwalkers

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

joltaddict
12-18-2000, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by David666:
When he was hit by that car a few years ago, I was certain it was a disgruntled fan upset with his comments that had done it. I laughed my ass off

Damn what got into you tonight!!! Or did we find your achilles heel? I know you are usually quite adament about your opinions but that post was venomous http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

It did make me laugh like hell though...

mutleyhyde
12-18-2000, 07:42 AM
You thought that was funny JA? Sorry, but I just can't laugh about someone having a serious, real life brush with injury and death, no matter how you feel about ones works.

------------------

M. Hyde

Mark Relford
12-18-2000, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David666: When he was hit by that car a few years ago, I was certain it was a disgruntled fan upset with his comments that had done it. I laughed my ass off when I heard that he'd been hit. He needed to be knocked down a peg or two or six.

HAHAHAHA!!! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

------------------

joltaddict
12-18-2000, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde:
You thought that was funny JA? Sorry, but I just can't laugh about someone having a serious, real life brush with injury and death, no matter how you feel about ones works.

I thought it was extremely funny how worked up he got. Look at all the over the top adjectives he used... "crude, plagerized clone" alone is hilarious!

I have no idea how you could think the accident itself was the funny thing in that post. Lay off the caffine.

------------------

David666
12-19-2000, 01:15 PM
At last, you're starting to get my sense of humor.

Ah, c'mon its not such a bad thing.

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

joltaddict
12-19-2000, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DeepDownTraumaHound:
except Molly R.

Huh?

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-19-2000, 08:42 PM
joltadd
The movie sucked, but not Molly Ringwald. that's all. she is good even if she's bad.

mutleyhyde
12-19-2000, 09:22 PM
I wish Molly did suck; me that is! Nyuk-nyuk.

------------------

M. Hyde

Trashboy
12-19-2000, 09:38 PM
The Good...

Carrie
Creepshow
The Dead Zone
The Shining (although far from the superior
source novel)
'Salem's Lot

The Bad!..

It (what the fuck were they thinking??)
The Tommyknockers (what the fuck were they thinking??)
The Langoliers (words cannot describe..)
Sleepwalkers (what the fuck was he thinking?)
Silver Bullet
Cat's Eye
Graveyard Shift (all together now..)

The Ugly (For Turning A Great Book into PG-13
Hollywood TRASH!)....
Misery
Apt Pupil

Guilty Pleasures...
Children Of The Corn (Remains to be the only flick my parents had to take me out of crying
and scared shitless after the first 20 minutes-the soundtrack alone still freaks me a bit)
Maximum Overdrive (AB will at least letterbox
it but what's up with this R-rated business--the US still can't cope with seeing a little
leaguer's head crushed by a steamroller??)

joltaddict
12-19-2000, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by DeepDownTraumaHound:
joltadd
The movie sucked, but not Molly Ringwald. that's all. she is good even if she's bad.

I understood the post, I am baffled by the attraction.

------------------

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-20-2000, 05:41 AM
The Good...
The Shining
Pet Semetery, although tampered with
Misery
Shawshank Redemption
Silver Bullet
Carrie
The Bad...
Graveyard Shift
The Stand, except Molly R. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif
Sometimes they come back
The Ugly...(crap)
Night Flier
IT
Thinner, UGH!

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

Mark Relford
12-20-2000, 05:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by joltaddict:
[B) I am baffled by the attraction.

joltaddict, Molly Ringwald was an 80's goddess! I saw her in Office Killer and she still looks good. I wouldn't kick her out of bed. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-20-2000, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by joltaddict:
[B) I am baffled by the attraction.

joltaddict, Molly Ringwald was an 80's goddess! I saw her in Office Killer and she still looks good. I wouldn't kick her out of bed. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Thaaaank yoou! WEEEEE HOOOOO!! Molly Rocks! Office Killer! Hell Yes!