PDA

View Full Version : Scary Movie

David666
12-14-2000, 03:04 PM
I was very skeptical of this film, in prime part because of my distain of the Wayans Brothers who in MHO have always been short on talent and long on wind.

Scary Movie did not change my opinion.

Though it had its moments (and thats all they were, moments!) it was the most ignorant thing I've seen since Star Wars Ep. 1: The Phantom Menace. It began quite well, actually. But it soon fizzeled out and became a drawn-out SNL skit... and the worst possible one at that.

I do not have a problem with spoofing horror films. But, I prefer references to those in which they spoof, not hard-nosed purgery! And Scary Movie was nothing more then widely accepted purgery! An insult! I loved Pandamonium and Splatter High, but the major differance is painstakingly clear when one watches them. They refer to their source material. They do not RIP OFF SCENE FOR SCENE and word for word that in which they spoof. Scary Movie did just that, over and over and over. Adding a few sex jokes to the dialogue doesn't make it original, it doesn't make it 'your own'. Purgery by any other word (spoof?) is still purgery. Dimention Films and the Wayans Brothers should be sued! So what if Dimention made the Scream films. Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven should be raising holly hell over this shit!

The Scary Movie DVD has a repulsive, and offensive little behind the scene featurette that quite frankly pissed me off. Here we have a horde of low brow, no-talented brothers trashing Scream, I Know and Urban Legend calling them "stupid." How interesting, considering the crap they made. Can Scary Movie be classified as anything but "stupid?" No. And, consider also that it took six morons to write it. Count that, 6! Six guys sat down with the scripts to Scream, I Know and Urban Legend and fucked them up! Wow, I'll bet having a conversation with these guys is about as stimulating as playing patty-cake with a downs-syndrome child.

By so blatently trashing their source material, they left themselves open to ridicule. In fact, the writers of Urban Legend, I Know and Scream should have gotten writting credit on Scary Movie, hell most of the scenes were lifted directly from the scorce films! Hell, the title isn't even original as it was the original title of Scream. As a horror fan I was highly offended by these assholes. I am frankly sick and god-damn tired of everyone trashing the horror genre... then making a living off it!

And now were going to be treated to Scary Movie 2. Yeah, I'm so looking forward to this.

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

David666
12-14-2000, 03:15 PM
Watching this tripe sucked out my brain, "purgery" should be "plagerized" in the above post.

Destroy brain cells, smoke crack, listen to Mariah Scary and watch Scary Movie!

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"

Dave
12-14-2000, 08:36 PM
I think it's the perfect spoof - one that copies the movie it's spoofing scene for scene and adds humor to it.

Lets face it, all of these movies it's spoofing really suck in terms of horror movies.

Scream - tries to be scary but is funny unintentionally

Scary Movie - tries to be funny and IS funny intentionally

I loved Scary Movie and can't wait for the sequel.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

DopeChamberX
12-14-2000, 10:10 PM
I saw Scary Movie when it was first released over the summer and, well, I wasn't too impressed. I remember some things being very funny, but the majority just boring or the type of jokes where its so offensive that you'll catch yourself laughing at it. The fact that it was just a retread of the original Scream (as David666 stated) I think made the film boring. Scream wore out too fast with me, and just seeing a little bit different version wasn't too exciting or groundbreaking. I might rent it again, but I can't see myself wanting to sit down and watch this over an over, as many of the jokes will just get stale with repeat viewings. I just wish that they kept the same level of fun, that I beleive that the opening scene had. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

Django
12-14-2000, 10:15 PM
First off, don't you piss on Episode One.

Secondly, the Wayans are right about those stupid Williamson slasher flicks. Dave is also correct that Scream tried to be scary but ended up funny instead, something I've believed since day one and nothing will ever change my mind.

As for Scary Movie, it wasn't the greatest. But it had moments which is more than I can say about any of the Scream movies...

Jasondog
12-14-2000, 10:46 PM
I always figured Scream to be a spoof. Even Wes Craven said before the film was released that Scream was a spoof. Scary Movie is just a different kind of spoof. I enjoyed each to no end.

There is plenty that makes Scream watchable, wish i could say the same about Urban Legends, and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

But then I love Cherry 2000 so what do i know http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Jasondog
12-14-2000, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Dave:

Lets face it, all of these movies it's spoofing really suck in terms of horror movies.

Did you think The Shining sucked, or how about A Nightmare on Elm Street?

More movies were spoofed in Scary Movie then Scream & IKWYDLS

jeffschmidt
12-14-2000, 11:34 PM
Scary Movie is a fun flick. No, it's not Citizen Kane, but then again it doesn't purport to be. Not every movie is going to touch the human spirit; some are just about having a good time for a couple hours.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I don't want to perpetuate the production of crappy flicks, but IMO if you can't have a good time with Scary Movie, you need to lighten up http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"I like that satellite TV, Pa!" -Ellie May, Redneck Zombies

Mark Relford
12-15-2000, 12:54 AM
It's no Airplane, Naked Gun, or I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, but I still enjoyed it.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

mutleyhyde
12-15-2000, 02:03 AM
Yeah, it's no Half-Baked (yes, that was a joke). The whole point to parody is covering the same ground and making fun of it. Mad Magazine has done this for eons. And believe me, Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven are totally "in" on the joke. Do you actually think they went to the theater, saw Scary Movie, and went,"Holy fuck!!! They ripped me off!" Somehow, I think not.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

ctyner
12-15-2000, 02:16 AM
I saw "Scary Movie" theatrically and laughed literally three times throughout the entire course of the film.

I don't find the presence of penises, ejaculate, and pubic hair on screen funny. I mean, I don't find it offensive either, but all of the humor in "Scary Movie" seemed to be of the 'I can't believe they just showed that!' variety, and for people like me who aren't fazed by that sort of material, it falls entirely flat.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ctyner) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

mutleyhyde
12-15-2000, 02:25 AM
So I guess you didn't like There's Something About Mary very much, huh?

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

M. Hyde

Dave
12-15-2000, 03:07 AM
Jasondog

Good points. I should rephrase my statement to:

The primary movies it was spoofing sucked!!!

My review of Scary Movie lists a few of the movies it spoofs, and Nightmare on Elm Street is on that list so I do realize. I was referring mainly to Scream/IKWYDLS

http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------

jeffschmidt
12-15-2000, 04:14 AM
I'm not generally fazed by much anymore either, but I will admit that I think dick & fart jokes are funny. I hate to repeat my earlier post, but it's ok to like movies that aren't that great.

For me quality does not equal entertainment 100% of the time. For example, it could easily be argued that Titanic is a higher quality film than Scary Movie. I, however, had a much better time at Scary Movie than I did at Titanic.

------------------

mutleyhyde
12-15-2000, 06:36 AM
Yeah, I like to believe that I'm "above" potty humor, but damned if I didn't laugh out loud throughout Dumb and Dumber. God I hate admitting that!

------------------

M. Hyde

Dave
12-15-2000, 02:34 PM
Yeah, some people are going to like certain movies while others hate them. Some people swear Scream is the greatest horror movies ever. Well, okay, that's your opinion.

Beyond is another that seems to have mixed reviews by most people...

Buy hey, at least we're having a civil conversation about it without resorting to attacks! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------

fishhead
12-15-2000, 03:27 PM
Scary Movie was an offensive, crude, juvenile movie with absolutely no socially redeemining qualities.

And I really enjoyed it http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

It's a cold, harsh world out there and if I can get a couple hours of laughter in a theater then I'm well pleased. I didn't like Scream/IKWYDLS, but now I can at least say they led to something I enjoyed. I'll definitely be adding Scary Movie to my collection and am looking forward to the sequel.

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."

Vdlman
12-15-2000, 09:12 PM
Scary Movie has got to be one of the sickest, most tasteless movies I've ever seen. And I mean that in a good way! Also, I am absolutely amazed that this movie managed to get an R-rating!

AceRimRat
12-16-2000, 12:47 AM
I haven't seen Scary Movie yet, but I'm hoping to rent it soon.

I have a question, though: Is it funny to people who might have liked Scream or IKWYDLSJLHAKJAERIAERJLHOAERIJLH? Or does it just bash on these movies to absolutely no end?

Maybe it's the wrong way to phrase the question, but I'm not a big fan of one-note comedies like some of the SNL ones. And if all it is is a rip on Scream with some in-jokes and rude humor, I don't know how excited to be over it. You know what I mean? Like, is it only funny if you hate Scream and enjoy seeing holes ripped in it maliciously, or is it funny if you liked Scream but accept it as flawed and enjoy seeing those holes mocked in a creative way? I'm probably making no sense at this point.

(And yeah, I kinda like the first Scream and the Love-fest, though I'd hardly hold them up as bastions of horror. Sue me.)

Jasondog
12-16-2000, 05:20 AM
AceRimRat:

I like the Scream trilogy alot and have been watching horror flicks for 15 years. I wasnt too impressed with the IKWYDLS movies though. I still loved Scary Movie, im sure you will too. If you dont mind gross-out humour

rhett
12-16-2000, 08:41 AM
I really enjoyed the first Scream and IKWYDLS, they were a nice change to the traditional horror films I am used to, and the homage to 80's slasher movies was also a reason I enjoyed them. I didn't care much for the sequels, but on to the Scary Movie topic. I saw it in theatres expecting it to be great. It wasn't. But it did have its moments, and I guess I recommend it. It is in no way a turn off to those who enjoyed Williamson's slashers. As far as Scary Movie 2 goes, I am interested to see what they do with that. One thing for sure is, the MPAA will be all over their ass, and there is no way they will get away with the stuff they did in the first one.

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

David666
12-18-2000, 04:01 AM
Django wrote:
"First off, don't you piss on Episode One."

But it's OK for you to piss on films I like? I do believe thats called a double standard. Every negative conotation you stated about Scream, I feel double that for The Phantom Menace. Its all relative to individual tastes. So lets not get "pissy" about it huh.

As much as it may chap some ass, There ARE hardcore horror fans out here who Like, even LOVE the Scream, I KNow and Urban Legend films. I think its time you people got over this bandwagon backlash against these films. I don't recall anyone saying anything even remotely negative about Scream when it first came out. Quite the contrary, you'd swear that Williamson and Craven could walk on water. After that one film, Williamson was put in the Fango hall of Fame... so the backlash bandwagon is quite small actually.

------------------
-David

jeffschmidt
12-18-2000, 04:39 AM
Hey, I liked the first Scream a lot; and the other two were ok. IMO the Scream trilogy would have been awesome if the following 2 things were different:

1.) Randy lives - c'mon you can't kill off the most charismatic character while letting unlikeable hags like Gale Weathers live!

2.) Sidney dies at the end of 3 & the killer gets away with it - think about it, this would have been an awesome ending that nobody would have expected! (I heard that this was originally planned but Neve Campbell wouldn't do it?)

And in regards to "pissing on Episode One", I think his tone was jocular http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif We can't be too sensitive about what others think of our personal favorites. Anytime we express an opinion we are potentially offending someone; that's just the way it is in this hyper-sensitive climate we live in. Some folks could have gotten really upset about the Guts of a Virgin thread a while back which slammed not only that movie but Christians & Republicans as well, D666 http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to defend your right to say it." -some old-school colonial dude

------------------

DopeChamberX
12-18-2000, 04:56 AM
I just wanted to state,in my above post that I thought Scary Movie was boring, I just didn't want anyone assuming that I didn't like any of the Scream or I Know... films (I own all of them in fact), but Scary Movie broke no new ground, except for pushing the boundaries of taste, that in all honesty didn't really phase me, and in fact bored me. It was so in your face, it didn't have a chance to offend me because it was trying way too hard. Repeat viewings will just decrease ANY hilarity I might have found in it with the first viewing.

Second, I have no problem with anyone pissing on these films, it doesn't bother me. It's not like it's my own work. Sorry if this is long winded or sort of just a reiteration of what I earlier posted, but I wanted to state my complete opinion.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

[This message has been edited by DopeChamberX (edited 12-17-2000).]

mutleyhyde
12-18-2000, 08:33 AM
This is all getting way too heavy for me. I'm going back to that light-hearted Guts of a Virgin thread! Y'all quit gettin' so riled at one another. Jesus, you don't even know each other! You're just using the forum to vent and get your daily frustrations out without the fear of consequences. Go take care of your shit where it belongs and then come back and lets talk movies again, not personal feelings. You know what? I don't like 90210 horror, and Scary Movie looks funny as shit to me (no, I haven't seen it yet). Oh, yeah - and I thought that Phantom Menace, while being a technologically incredible movie, sucked ass from the story and acting standpoint (no, I am NOT just talking about Jar-Jar). But that's just what I think. If anyone thinks I'm "pissing" on them, they need to seriously check their head.

------------------

M. Hyde

Dave
12-18-2000, 12:55 PM
I gave each and every Scream movie a chance. None were enjoyable for me. From the first day I rented Scream (on VHS believe it or not) I said it sucked. Just an FYI. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

As for pissing on movies, by all means piss on anything you want. That's what this forum is for. However, people really aren't going to listen to you unless you explain why you're pissing.

With Scream I expected a scary movie. It wasn't scary <U>at all</U>. Again, maybe some found it scary but I didn't. It was a 90210 horror film, which is why it was so successful. Teenie boppers were going to see it so they could see Neve Campell in a bra. There is no originality in Scream, instead Craven tries this 'rules of horror movie' thing that was just ridiculous in my opinion.

Sorry but I rate something like Friday the 13th and many of its sequels WAY over any Scream or IKWYDLS movie.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-18-2000).]

David666
12-19-2000, 02:08 PM
I certainly do not take everything on here seriously. My observational 'pissy' statements were in fact ment to be lighthearted. Perhaps I should put "LOL" after everything. That way it won't be taken so seriously.

I love discussing films, especially horror films. Thats why I love this site.

------------------
-David

mutleyhyde
12-19-2000, 10:02 PM
By the way (or BTW), just what the hell does LOL mean? I know I look like a total lame-o for asking, but I keep seeing it here and I'm just at a loss. I give up. What does it mean? I finally figured out IMHO all on my own though, so I don't feel too stupid.

------------------

M. Hyde

AceRimRat
12-19-2000, 10:36 PM
Mutley: Laugh Out Loud. Not to be confused with ROTFL. Or FUBAR. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Course, I'm still trying to figure out what somebody meant when they called a movie "pants."

mutleyhyde
12-19-2000, 11:29 PM
Yep. I would've never got that one. Guess I'm gettin' old. Thanks!

------------------

M. Hyde