PDA

View Full Version : what Versus dvd to get?

Mika
09-07-2002, 06:51 PM
I would like to pick up VERSUS. From what I've heard there are different DVD's available...Which is the best one to buy?

ekent
09-07-2002, 09:08 PM
there is not really a great version out in region 1 right now. It is coming out later on from Synapse I have heard but I do not have a sure date on that yet. I have also heard about a limited theatrical run in the states later this year so I am not sure if that would push back the release date on the dvd or not. The DVD version I have is apparently a VCD bootleg but it is still floating around ebay right now. I'd hold out and check the Synapse site for a release date.

Shannafey
09-08-2002, 01:28 AM
I have put this up before... www.yumyumanime.com has an all region version. It's anamorphic widescreen, the quality's excellent, the only drawback is the extras aren't subtitled, but the movie is. Got mine from them at a show, and I'm more than happy. I just wanted to see the movie I'd been hearing so much about.

Linn
09-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Just got to say thanks to Shannafey! I got my DVD from yumyumanime today and it is GREAT! I mean it's so good I couldn't tell any difference between this and my friend's Japanese disc. GREAT Quality!

Bods
09-08-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ekent
there is not really a great version out in region 1 right now. It is coming out later on from Synapse I have heard but I do not have a sure date on that yet.

It's Media Blasters who snagged the R1 rights to Versus. Synapse picked up two other Japanese zombie flicks, Stacy & Wild Zero.

http://www.media-blasters.com/acquistion.cfm?label=Tokyo%20Shock

LJMurder
09-08-2002, 05:06 PM
the one that is region 0 is a bootleg. i just find it hard to give money to scummy people who copy the thing onto a disk and sell it again.

Shannafey
09-09-2002, 03:22 AM
If it's a bootleg, the quality and packaging are the best I have ever seen on one. It looks legit to me.

KillerCannabis
09-10-2002, 06:01 AM
I have the all region version from Tartan and its good for me. The picture isnt 16X9, though it is at least widescreen. I'll wait to see what Media Blasters does before I order another copy.

6sick6
09-12-2002, 12:53 AM
If not for bootlegs, Versus would not have a fraction of the reputation and word of mouth it has achieved thus far. I bought a bootleg tape off ebay of it last year and had not one regret doing so.The film is just pure balls out fun and anyway anyone can see the film,they should do so.
I am a big believer in a person doing what they want with THEIR money....so bootleg dvd or not, Versus should be seen and it is out their for anyone to do so.
Just my $6.66 worth on the subject.

Oh and as for scummy people....movie studios and their ilk are infinitely scummier than any bootlegger could ever hope to be.

2D4EVER
09-12-2002, 02:07 AM
My bootleg Versus DVD finally came today. FUCKING AWESOME!:) The quality is fantastic. The only bad thing is that the extras aren't subbed. I wonder if someone has translated the side story.

Later all...

Shannafey
09-12-2002, 03:59 AM
I am not big into bootlegs myself, but unfortunately that's the only way we can see some of this films until they get a good region 1 release. DVDs have been great for us horror fans, but there will always be a market for bootlegs, because there will always be films that don't seem to make their way to the U.S.

Azathoth
09-15-2002, 02:51 AM
I own two boots of this movie.

One is non-anamorphic widescreen with non-removeable English subtitles. It was out for quite some time, way before the official Japanese R2 disk was released. The disk itself has no menu or chapter stops, it's just one straight continuous play. Most of the VHS bootleggers make their copies from it.

I had just gotten in the newer disk. Its the same as the official R2 but it's R0. 16:9 picture, removeable English subs, trailers, bonus material, etc.

Strange thing is, the color quality of the older disk is a whole lot better than the newer one. The newer disk has really washed out colors, no brights at all. Everything seems to be tinted gray. I don't know if the actual R2 disk looks the same as the bootleg, but if so, it looks like shit.

See for yourself:
http://www.geocities.com/x1488x/X/versus.html