PDA

View Full Version : The city of Lost Souls

Erg0n
09-07-2002, 08:22 PM
This (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0246498) is playing at my independent theatre soon, looks good. It's from the the guy who did Audition. It's described as a "punk bonnie and clyde cinematic mayhem" Anyone else heard/saw this film?

Bods
09-08-2002, 05:49 AM
Very entertaining movie. Quite restrained violence-wise when compared to other Miike works such as Fudoh, Ichi The Killer, Dead Or Alive, Full Metal Gokudo etc. It's a crazy movie in any case.

The opening has Mario (Teah) blowing away a bunch of guys, hijacking a helicopter and rescuing the love of his life Kei (Michelle Reis) from deportation. They jump from the chopper, land with a crash, brush themselves off and it only gets more wacky from there...

I had a hell of a good time with it. Teah does his tough-bastard thing well, Michelle Reis is her usual beautiful self. The gangsters, Mitsuhiro Oikawa and trench-coated Koji Kikkawa steal the movie. Those guys were really cool! Their ping-pong game is a scene to watch for.

Oh, and drugs used for toothpaste, a bathroom beating complete with floating turds...and a hilarious send-up of an American movie, which I won't give away here. The trailer and online reviews can do that.

Anyone else interested in seeing this has a few options. A R0, flipper HK DVD (supposed to look crap), the amazing looking/sounding R2 Japanese DVD (suprisingly has english subs) or wait till later this year when it's supposed to be getting released in R1.

2D4EVER
09-08-2002, 08:20 AM
Definately wait for the R1 release (unless you're really impatient). The company that's doing it also did a great job on the US Audition DVD. City of the Lost Souls is pretty nuts. You have matrix cock figts, yakuza nuts, brazillians in japan, and all kinds of weird shit. I like it but it's not a typical hyper-violent Miike movie. I got the VCD of it a long time ago and it sucked harder than any other VCD I've ever had. The subtitles were so bad they spelled the fucking name of the movie wrong. They called it City of the Last Souls. Never again will I buy VCDs. I stick to DVDs only now.

Later all...

JoshWatson
09-08-2002, 11:41 PM
whats city do you live in, i would like to see this if i am anywhere close.

Erg0n
09-10-2002, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

JoshWatson, I live in Canada so it's kind of a huge distance between us

KillerCannabis
09-14-2002, 08:40 PM
Sounds like a good flick to me. I liked Audition and though I dont expect this to be similar, I'm so into Asian flicks right now I'd love to see this. Any idea who's putting out the R1 release?