PDA

View Full Version : "Uzumaki" by Junji Ito

Luna
09-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Who here has read the graphic novels? I'm anxiously awaiting part 3, myself. B&N shows it as being available in November and I can barely wait!

As a side note for anyone who's read it or seen the movie (I haven't yet and I own the DVD, BAD me!), I bought new dinnerware from Target the night before I started reading the books. My dinnerware is a lovely shade of cobalt blue and has, you guessed it, a thin, black spiral from the outer part of the dishes to the very center. After reading both books, eating soup from one of the spiral ceramic bowls, I couldn't help but think of the girl's father and his lovely ceramics. :eek:

So basically, I now have my very own set of freak-out dishes! :D

Mr.Vengance
09-16-2002, 09:39 PM
I absolutely love both the movie and the graphic novel series. I too can't wait for the 3rd installment to come out. This movie really changed my perception of what a movie could be.

Luna
09-17-2002, 10:59 PM
I really REALLY need to see the movie soon! I've been very busy packing up stuff, getting ready to move, so I may have to wait a few weeks. Of course, I've had the movie for months already, so that's not a very good excuse. :o

I figured I'd read the books first and then see the movie, as this strategy served me well with the "Tomie" series and movie. I think "Tomie" could have done with some better subtitles, personally. They seemed to confuse the story, especially if you hadn't read the books. ;)

Mr.Vengance
09-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Tomie was one of the worst movies I've seen in quite some time. I got to the point where I just fast forwarded through to the end. Even after having the upset of the film I enjoyed Ito's work so much that I got the mangas. I was pleasantly surprised with the manga. I'm interested in seeing the other tomie films now.

Luna
09-19-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Vengance
I'm interested in seeing the other tomie films now.

I have "Tomie: Replay" in VCD format but it has no subtitles as far as I know, DOH! :rolleyes:

At least it was VERY cheap, like maybe 2 dollars cheap. :p

DeepDownTraumaHound
09-19-2002, 08:50 PM
Uzumaki did very little for me, unfortunately. I went to see it with high hope, and left feeling tired and cheated. It had some great scenes and storylines, but was all over the place. It needed more focus and drive, IMO. I would love to check out the comic, though. I bet it rocks.

Luna
09-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by DeepDownTraumaHound
I would love to check out the comic, though. I bet it rocks.
I can definitely recommend it so far. I wish I knew how many books it will be when it's all said and done! I'll be waiting anxiously for the next couple of months, for that third book to come out! :D

Mr.Vengance
09-22-2002, 10:56 AM
There are and will only be three. Unless Junji Ito decides to resurect the story some how. There were three books released in Japan and two have been released in the states so far with the last one on the horizon.

aoiookami
09-23-2002, 06:36 AM
just got back from seeing Uzumaki in a local theater, and loved it, aside from the freakin' idiotic clowns that were in the theater as well that laughed out loud at every second scene. the movie is completely original, and I'll never look at a spiral again without thinking of this movie, which is something I like. I'll probably get the manga soon too

Luna
09-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Vengance
There are and will only be three.
Thanks... that's good to know! Not that I wouldn't be pleased with 10 books of it (I really LOVE his work) but it's good to know how much $$ I'm gonna be spending to feed my addiction. :D

Luna
09-24-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by aoiookami
aside from the freakin' idiotic clowns that were in the theaterGrr. I hate people like that. Kill! :mad:
Originally posted by aoiookami
and I'll never look at a spiral again without thinking of this movie, which is something I like.I can't wait to see this movie. Like I mentioned before, all my new ceramic dishes and bowls have this great spiral design and I can't help but think of the books every time I eat on them! It's especially creepy because of the father and his, um, ceramics. ;)

Paff
05-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Resurrecting a VERY old thread, to discuss the manga. I'm about two chapters into volume 2, and I'm really unsettled by the whole thing. There are some very disturbing images in this book, and it's the first time I've gotten into a manga. I still have the Tomie books, but I kept dropping them 10 or 20 pages in. Uzumaki has really worked for me.

After the books, I'll give the movie another try.

aoiookami
05-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Uzumaki the manga is one of the best things I have EVER read, period. Just wait until the final chapters, they will stick with you. But it also makes me disappointed on the wasted potential the movie had, it could have been deeply disturbing and memorable, but turned more into an unintentionally funny 'wacky' romp. Not to mention it ended like halfway through chapter 2...Give me Uzumaki, 1 hour for each book with the original ending and I can die truely happy.

Paff
05-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Wow....it gets more intense?

Some stories work better than others. The one about the teenage lovers was pretty bland. But the first one in book 2, where the kid throws himself in front of the car, was really nasty. I just finished the snail episode last night, and that was pretty bizarre and unsettling too.

Anyone thinking about these should start looking for copies now. I had to go to various websites before I found them. Several orders ended up getting cancelled.

I think someone is even trying to get $200 for a copy of volume 1 on Amazon right now....

Luna
05-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Wtf? If people are buying Volume 1 for $200, I'm selling. I love the books but not THAT much.

Paff
05-15-2007, 05:49 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1569317143/ref=dp_olp_2/002-6875415-5364825?ie=UTF8&qid=1179200874&sr=8-1

dwatts
05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
.....makes me disappointed on the wasted potential the movie had, it could have been deeply disturbing and memorable, but turned more into an unintentionally funny 'wacky' romp.

Exactly my feelings. I was disapointed in this movie also. The trailer is great, but at full length it's just poor, and it's badly written too. Shame.

Luna
05-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Comments: Book is brand new, and has never been opened. Thousands of satisfied customers!Um, how the hell? :lol:

And WTF!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1591160480/ref=dp_olp_1/002-7816006-2568855?ie=UTF8&qid=1179223418&sr=1-5

I really, really don't want to sell my books but if I can even get HALF of that... :cry:

Why on earth would these people set their prices so high? Surely it's not THAT rare?

aoiookami
05-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow....it gets more intense?

What happens to the town itself and the people within it in the last chapter is very interesting, disturbing and kind of cool. I just loved it. It has a very 'grand' ending that just makes you curse how lame the movie rendition was

Noto
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
What happens to the town itself and the people within it in the last chapter is very interesting, disturbing and kind of cool. I just loved it. It has a very 'grand' ending that just makes you curse how lame the movie rendition was

Is that why you hate the movie so much now, when your first post in this thread was fairly glowing? I haven't read the manga which is why I ask.

dolemite
05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
That bit where she found out where the Hospital food comes from creeped me out like nothing I've ever read. I gotta find the second volume of the one with the fish with mechanical legs story. Not as creepy but damn good.
Has anyone got the Dark Horse volumes of his work? I've got the previous collections of Tomie and various and am just wondering if it is just reissues of those books or have new stuff.

Luna
05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
That bit where she found out where the Hospital food comes from creeped me out like nothing I've ever read.I loved that part in particular and I'd really wished that was included in the movie. There is another thread around here in which I explained what's missing from the movie and why I didn't really consider the movie great. The manga is just so much more of a complete story, more horrifying and really should have been explored more in my opinion.

Darga
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I think someone is even trying to get $200 for a copy of volume 1 on Amazon right now....

Holy crap! I borrowed all 3 volumes from a friend a while back. I finally met up with her at a bar the other night and returned them to her. Apparently after I left she stayed on and got totally sh*tfaced. Enough so that she rolled out of there without the books, and I don't think she's been able to recover them. At least it looks like they're going into a second printing later this year and I don't think she's particular about having first editions. At least I hope not....

Luna
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Ah, here it is (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=13766&highlight=Uzumaki).

aoiookami
05-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Is that why you hate the movie so much now, when your first post in this thread was fairly glowing? I haven't read the manga which is why I ask.

To be honest, yes. I saw the movie first, and thought it was pretty good, albiet a little silly and dumb in parts. But I read the manga only last year and was blown away by the scale, and how creepy it was in comparison. The manga makes the movie look like a joke pretty much... As I read the manga I couldnt help but think 'damn, that would have been SO great in the movie.'
Although 'hate' is a little strong, I do have a totally different view on the movie now, and definately would not have felt the same had I read the books first.

aoiookami
05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
I guess I shouldnt mention there is a large collection of Ito stuff that has yet to be translated....opps...;) well maybe if there is enough demand we'll see them eventually. You guys should check out Gyo as well, it comes with a short story at the end that is really unsettling

Luna
05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I own Gyo. I got the books as a birthday present a few years ago but have been sitting on reading them for some reason or other. I've flipped through and it looks great though. Maybe I've been holding off because so little of his work can be found and it's sort of like saving it for a rainy day or savoring it. I think this thread has sort of pushed me into wanting to tear into them now. :lol:

There are a couple of new/repackaged books out but I'd love for more Ito to be translated, really. Why isn't anyone getting on this? Chop chop, dammit!

To anyone who likes Ito's stories, I'd also recommend Kazuo Umezu. His artistic style is a bit different (sometimes a bit more feminine I think, if you check out Orochi: Blood) but just as enjoyable to me.

http://lambiek.net/artists/u/umezu_kazuo.htm

http://shaenon.livejournal.com/24245.html

http://www.linkadoor.be/manga_anime_corner/bio/junji_ito.html

Paff
05-15-2007, 10:41 PM
it's sort of like saving it for a rainy day or savoring it.

OK, so I'm not the only person that does this. I now have all three volumes of Uzumaki, and it probably wouldn't take me more than an hour to zip through it. But I just like reading a chapter at a time, and enjoy it slowly. And I can easily see myself re-reading them to enjoy the artwork more. It's kinda tough when the story starts getting intense to keep a slow pace. Still, I did more than a double-take when I turned a page to see the kid jammed up inside the wheel well. So far, one of the most disturbing drawings I've ever seen. It's like a friggin Driver's Ed movie in comic book form.

Noto
05-16-2007, 01:41 AM
To be honest, yes. I saw the movie first, and thought it was pretty good, albiet a little silly and dumb in parts. But I read the manga only last year and was blown away by the scale, and how creepy it was in comparison. The manga makes the movie look like a joke pretty much... As I read the manga I couldnt help but think 'damn, that would have been SO great in the movie.'
Although 'hate' is a little strong, I do have a totally different view on the movie now, and definately would not have felt the same had I read the books first.

Cool. Thanks for expanding on that. Now I'm curious about the manga and have no way of getting it. Yay!

Bring on those second printings.

KamuiX
05-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Although the manga is excellent, the film isn't so bad, in fact, it's the best representation of Ito's work in film by far (as is Long Dream, also from Higuchinsky). It seems like every single person that attempts to translate Ito's manga into film drops the ball and makes fantastical stories into mundane J-horror films.

For more translated Ito, check out Dark Horse's Museum of Terror series, with the first two volumes being Tomie stories (to whoever mentioned them not being good, get past the first couple stories in volume 1, it gets way better), and the 3rd volume is a collection of his short stories.

If you're into Ito, as Luna said, Umezu is quite good, as well as Hideshi Hino, who's art style is very cool. For any splatter/sex fans, Suehiro Maruo is kick ass as well.