PDA

View Full Version : Nosferatu vs. Dracula

rhett
09-09-2002, 06:47 AM
Both of the original films, Nosferatu (1922) and Dracula (1931) are classics in very different ways. In Nosferatu, the title character is treated as a repulsive animal, while in Dracula, the lead character has charm and power. Although both are very different I like them both very much, but I find Max Schreck to be the more intruiging character of the two.

So what do you guys think, does Bela Lugosi do a better Dracula than Max Schreck?

mcchrist
09-09-2002, 07:51 AM
I hated the Bela Lugosi Dracula. I have a soft spot for Nosferatu, it has changed my life in many ways. The Spanish version of the 1931 Dracula is far superior to the Bela version IMO.

My vote: Nosferatu.

Jog
09-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Well, both are valid interperatations of the character, each with their own set of "baggage"...

But I just think Nosferatu is a superior film all around, and that biases me toward that version of the character...

moogong
09-11-2002, 03:09 AM
I would have to go with Dracula. Like mcchrist, I will have to say the Spanish Dracula. Thank god Universal put that version on the Dracula dvd. It totally changed the way I felt about the character.

rhett
09-11-2002, 08:12 AM
I have not seen this Spanish Dracula, but with all the accolades it is receiving I will just have to do so, thanks guys!

mutleyhyde
09-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Oh come on! Frank Langella... best Dracula ever! :p

rhett
09-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
Oh come on! Frank Langella... best Dracula ever! :p
While you're at it why not throw in George Hamilton as well. :D

KillerCannabis
09-14-2002, 09:16 PM
I like the Bela Lugosi Dracula. And the score by Glass w/ Kronos Quartet is wonderful. Best Drac ever though? Leslie Nielsen.

moogong
09-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
I like the Bela Lugosi Dracula. And the score by Glass w/ Kronos Quartet is wonderful. Best Drac ever though? Leslie Nielsen.

Although he didnt play Dracula, I think the best vampire ever was Chris Sarandon. Fright Night was a killer flick:cool: