PDA

View Full Version : Last House on the Left

joot29
09-09-2002, 10:47 PM
OK, I bought LHOTL simply because 1) it was $9.99 at Best Buy, and 2) I was intrigued by all the hoopla about how great this "classic" is. Boy was I disappointed. OK, I do acknowledge the fact that this movie was released in 1972 and that it was certainly unprecedented in its depiction of cruelty. Krueg did an awesome performance, as did the other villains, but the parents (doing their "square" parents impersonations) and their daughter (the humorously fake look of horror on her face) were truly awful - and made me cringe. I could accept bad acting from the villains, but definitely not from the characters who we're supposed to identify with. And then all the attempted comic relief and bad music just took away from the experience. I was expecting something a bit more along the lines of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (as far as the low-budget crude cinematography). Wes Craven mentioned that he wanted to make this movie realistic and wanted to shock people. Believe me, if he took out all the music and comic relief - and got 2 better actors for the parents - it would have been alot better.

I'm really quite surprised at all the good reviews this has gotten. I'm definitely not a prude.... I love exploitation horror as much as the next guy - but this one was truly undermined by the music and comic relief. Give me "Maniac", "Texas Chainsaw...", and "Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer" ANYDAY! LHOTL sucked.

I'd love to hear from people who really like it, and their reasons.

moogong
09-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by joot29
OK, Believe me, if he took out all the music and comic relief - and got 2 better actors for the parents - it would have been alot better.

I loved the music....it was my favorite part of the movie. I will probably end up ordering the soundtrack from David Hess' website.

wago70
09-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Bad actors are common in horror films. I was numb to that and pretty much bought into the whole thing. Pretty disturbed was I.

dvdasia62
09-10-2002, 12:16 AM
I enjoyed it very much. Best disc of the year so far. :)

Cydeous
09-10-2002, 01:02 AM
To me, the acting wasn't bad. Sure the comic relief was kind of silly... but it was supposed to be that way.

KillerCannabis
09-10-2002, 05:56 AM
I somewhat agree. A creepy, eerie soundtrack would have made much of the fear in this film more effective. And the silliness wasnt too bad, although I felt that some of it was unnecessary, all in all though, its a great film and I love it.

rhett
09-10-2002, 06:13 AM
Had the film contained an eerie soundtrack and no comic relief it would have become nearly unbearable, like The Devils Experiment. Plus, the film did come out in 1972, and this kind of visual terror was practically unseen before, so their definitely needed to be relief for the virgin audiences of the time.

It is a great movie, it is right up there with the Blue Underground discs as my favorite disc of the year.

McBride_01
09-15-2002, 04:51 AM
I agree that this disc is the DVD of the year so far. I think the comic relief was pretty bad, but I didn't mind the music. This is a great, disturbing little flick.

shift
09-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Music was cool, but the movie blew the big one. I sold it on Ebay right after the 2 hrs after viewing it.
I rather watch my son play the simpsons on his playstation. :(

joot29
09-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Damn, I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought this movie sucked. 5 minutes of "Texas Chainsaw" gave me more chills than all of LHOTL. The music and comic relief really hurt the movie, for me.

shift
09-17-2002, 05:30 PM
Since you mentioned about Texas Chainsaw. That movie where to original house was located in Round Rock, Tx has finally been torn down by the city of Round Rock due to new HWYs coming trough. So the original house is now gone :(

Atmims
09-17-2002, 05:37 PM
I thought the movie was alright until the maniacs moved into the parents house. TOO much stupid stuff happened. why didn't they just kill them in their sleep instead of setting up all those traps? How did they know where to find the body? Why did mom give that guy a blow job before she bit his dick off? She didn't even have to bite his dick off!. LHOTL did have some good parts but it also had too many dorky parts that made it nothing special in my opinion.

rhett
09-17-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Atmims
Why did mom give that guy a blow job before she bit his dick off? She didn't even have to bite his dick off
I thought that scene was cool, and it reminded me of a similar scene in Eve of Destruction about a female cyborg gone beserk. Do you guys know any other films with fellatio mishaps? ;)

Atmims
09-17-2002, 11:39 PM
Do you guys know any other films with fellatio mishaps?

Hah hah! I'm pretty sure Species has a scene like that. I'm probably wrong though.
Adrian

gunner
09-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Brain Damage had a great fellatio scene. Only the guy wasn't the victim :D

moogong
09-18-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by rhett

I thought that scene was cool, and it reminded me of a similar scene in Eve of Destruction about a female cyborg gone beserk. Do you guys know any other films with fellatio mishaps? ;)

Parenthood with Steve Martin, Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael and Police Academy.

rhett
09-18-2002, 05:20 AM
Of course! How can I forget the one in Police Academy, that one is a classic. I haven't seen Brain Damage yet, but I better do so!

I don't think Henstridge gives head in Species, I know she kills a guy when they makeout, and 2 while they pump, but I don't think she gets anyone below the belt though...

bwana the clown
09-19-2002, 09:37 AM
Wasn't there one in 'The World According To Garp'?

SaviniFan
04-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Anyone know what the difference is between the Last House cut and the Krug & Company cut is? Xploited has a new German SE of Last House on the Left for sale and I'm intrigued to say the least. This sounds like a must buy.

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=4492

gunner
04-13-2006, 11:58 PM
It looks to me to be identical to the UK release...at twice the price.

SaviniFan
04-14-2006, 12:10 AM
It looks to me to be identical to the UK release...at twice the price.

UK release has the Krug & Company cut?

gunner
04-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Yeah, on disc two (Xploited now has it for around $15, I paid twice that). There are some minor differences but I haven't seen that alternate cut in so long I don't remember exactly what they are. But nothing major...but it is very cool to see the original "Krug and Company" title. There's a plethora of extra stuff on that UK disc...the main film itself is edited a little but most people have the US MGM release to watch anyway. My favorite extra is the commentary by Krug, Weasel & Junior...they brag about which girls they fucked, wild times off camera, etc...great track!!

Anchor Bay Region 2 Release...
----Disc One----
- Edited Version (Approx 30 Seconds Cut)
- All-New, Remastered Animorphic Widescreen Transfer (1.85:1)
- DTS Audio
- Audio Commentary By Writer/Director Wes Craven & Producer Sean Cunningham (Same As US MGM Release)
- Audio Commentary By Actors David Hess (Krug), Fred Lincoln (Weasel), And Marc Sheffler (Junior)
- Featurette 1: "Celluloid Crime Of The Century" An All-New 50 Minute Documentary Featuring Interviews With Writer/Director Wes Craven, Producer Sean Cunningham, Actors David Hess (Krug), Fred Lincoln (Weasel), Marc Sheffler (Junior), And Actress Jaramie Rain (Sadie)
- Featurette 2: "Scoring Last House" An Interview With The Films Music Composer David Hess (Who Also Played Lead Villian Krug Stillo)
- 3 Exhaustive Still Galleries "Behind The Scenes", " Production Stills", And "Publicity Material"
- 14 Extensive Cast/Crew Biographies
- Six Rare Radio Spots
- 2 Theatrical Trailers (English & German)
- New UK Trailer For This Special DVD Release

----Disc Two----
- "Krug And Company" A Rarely Seen Alternate Titled, Early Version Of Last House On The Left Presented For The First Time On Any Home Video Format, Presented In Remastered Animorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
- Featurette 3: "Forbidden Gallery" Every Frame From The 30 Seconds Of Cuts The Film Was Forced To Make For This DVD Release Are Presented Here In Still Gallery Form
- Featurette 4: "Outakes & Dailies" 20 Minutes Of Never-Before-Seen Alternate/Rough Footage (From The Personal Collection Of Filmmaker Roy Frumkes)
- Featurette 5: "Krug Conquers England" A 2002 Documentary Shot During Last House On The Left's Theatrical Debut In The UK (Last House Was Previously Banned By The BBFC) Which Played As A Double-Bill With The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Also Previously Banned), Featuring Interviews With Actors David Hess, And Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface), And Blue Underground's Carl Daft Along With Fans Of Both TCM & Last House. They Discuss Their Opinions Of Englands Over-Aggressive Censorship, Etc.
- Featurette 6: A Never-Before-Seen Short Film Directed By Wes Craven (And Also Starring David Hess) Which Was Planned To Be A Segment For A Horror Anthology Titled "Tales That'll Tear Your Heart Out", Which Was A Project By Filmmaker Roy Frumkes That Was Never Completed
- 24 Page Collector Booklet
- Slipcover Packaging

Easter Egg:
- A Web Link And Secret Password To A Special Website To View The Scenes Forced To Be Edited Out By The BBFC In All Their Uncut Glory