PDA

View Full Version : Hammer DVD sets in the UK (NOT the Warner ones)

Behemoth
09-10-2002, 01:07 AM
Check it out:

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=2&articleId=4642

Countess Dracula, Twins of Evil, Vampire Circus, and Hands of the Ripper (with non-Hammers The Uncanny and Monster (a.k.a. I Don't Want to Be Born))!!!!! Just hope they're widescreen (or at least letterboxed) and uncut...

Beastus
09-10-2002, 10:44 AM
The Hammer fanatic strikes again :D

mac-hammer-fan
09-15-2002, 01:02 AM
Unfortunately there will be only box set with "Countess Dracula", "Twins of Evil" and "Vampire Circus" which means that "Hands of the Ripper", "Nothing but the nIght" and "The Uncanny" are deleted...
:(

hatetank
02-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Recently got the box set with "Countess Dracula", "Twins of Evil" and "Vampire Circus". Although the films are rather shite the quality of the discs is very good: anamorphic transfers with excellent vibrant colors. If you are a Hammer fan go for it! (Especially for the outrageously low price at play.com)

dwatts
02-04-2003, 02:58 AM
I have the three boxes - the one with Dracula, Frankenstein and the Mummy. The second has five films, Devil rides Out, Mummy's Shroud, Lust for the Vampire, Scars of Dracula and a Frankenstein flick I don't remember. And the Vampire box.

None of them are great transfers. All widescreen. Extras are limited to trailers. Packaging is nice, with postcards of the original posters in each set.

--Unfortunately there will be only box set with "Countess Dracula", "Twins of Evil" and "Vampire Circus" which means that "Hands of the Ripper", "Nothing but the nIght" and "The Uncanny" are deleted... --

I am not sure what this means. Up until recently the only way to get the vampire box was a set of six discs - which was costly. Now they have broken the sets apart. Mind you - when the sets were together - they were merely two sets of three shrinkwrapped. Each set is easy to buy in London for $30.

The box of five mentioned above is really bad IMHO. Devil Rides Out is great - all the others are poor - the Mummy flick is horrible! The vampire set is the winner. I was pleasantly surprised by Countess Dracula - I had read bad things, but really liked it. Vampire Circus is great too.

As Hammer goes - they're well worth it I suppose. If you're limited in funds - get the first box of three, and the Vampire set.

Beastus
02-04-2003, 10:45 AM
I haven't seen all of those films yet, but I loved Twins Of Evil. One of the greatest Hammer films

Evil Disco Guy
02-04-2003, 08:36 PM
I own both the Carlton sets:

Hammer House Of Horror: The Vampire Collection - Countess Dracula / Twins Of Evil / Vampire Circus
Classic Horror Collection: The Monster / Hands Of The Ripper / The Uncanny

You can also, as mentioned, buy the two sets together however I found it cheaper to buy them on their own. Both sets are excellent, even without any extras, for the price and even though the second set only contains one Hammer film (Hands Of The Ripper) it's still worth it. I bought the other two Warner sets as well, for the price it worked out very much than getting the ABUS DVDs and even though they're devoid of extras I'm not really bothered.

I keep meaning to buy the Hammer House Of Horror boxset as the Carlton R2 DVDs are said to be twice the quality of the American set.

dwatts
02-10-2003, 08:05 PM
I watched The Monster last night. Pretty bad IMHO. Still - they ARE guilty pleasures :)