PDA

View Full Version : Budget question?

David666
12-31-2000, 10:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew the budget for Dracula 2000. I checked out IMD, but their listing was $37 million. I find that hard to believe because of the studio's original direct to video release plan. Does anyone know?

Thanks

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

DopeChamberX
01-01-2001, 01:29 AM
I don't recall this ever being planned to go direct to video. I wouldn't put it past Dimension/Disney, but everything I've ever read stated that they were really rushing to get it out for a 2000 release (title wouldn't make much sense next year).

Plus, I enjoyed the movie, fun film. But went way too fast, which I think was due in part to the rushing. Dimension is getting pretty notorious for rushing films for a seet release date. They completely botched Scream 3 because of it, that's also probably why they send so much stuff to dtv, gives the directors more time to actually work.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

David666
01-02-2001, 08:11 PM
I agree, even Wes Craven has bitched about Dimention's unnesessary rushed efforts. Scream 3 was good, but really needed Williamson's imput to push it past the label of 'good'. If only they would have waited until he was finished with Ms. Tingle. Oh well.

It can all really be boiled down to those brothers. Their name is on everything that comes out of Dimention and Miramax. Money hungry greedy bastards have never made good films, and that won't change now. The films that do come out under their snide observation ending up being good, are certainly not due to them. They are producers, and producers are all untalented jerks... we all know that (I mean just witness one-time producer Rachel Talalay's directorial efforts). Producers deal with the business aspexs of the industry, which is 95% of it, and leave all the filmmaking to the director and his crew. Once upon a time, filmmaking was about art. Other countries still look at it that way. America has made it a money hog industry and this is why we are subjected to the type of crap we often are (Congo, Island of Dr. Frankenheimer and Hellraiser: Inferno). Bring back the art, I say!

And to top it off, their DVDs leave a hell of alot to be desired. Low on standard features (16:9, 5.1 sound) and low on special features, yet high on price! Move over MGM, Disney and all its children are focused on giving you a run for the oh-so-distinguished title of worst DVD distributers.

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"

David666
01-02-2001, 08:12 PM
I agree, even Wes Craven has bitched about Dimention's unnesessary rushed efforts. Scream 3 was good, but really needed Williamson's imput to push it past the label of 'good'. If only they would have waited until he was finished with Ms. Tingle. Oh well.

It can all really be boiled down to those Weinstein brothers. Their name is on everything that comes out of Dimention and Miramax. Money hungry greedy bastards have never made good films, and that won't change now. The films that do come out under their snide observation ending up being good, are certainly not due to them. They are producers, and producers are all untalented jerks... we all know that (I mean just witness one-time producer Rachel Talalay's directorial efforts). Producers deal with the business aspexs of the industry, which is 95% of it, and leave all the filmmaking to the director and his crew. Once upon a time, filmmaking was about art. Other countries still look at it that way. America has made it a money hog industry and this is why we are subjected to the type of crap we often are (Congo, Island of Dr. Frankenheimer and Hellraiser: Inferno). Bring back the art, I say!

And to top it off, their DVDs leave a hell of alot to be desired. Low on standard features (16:9, 5.1 sound) and low on special features, yet high on price! Move over MGM, Disney and all its children are focused on giving you a run for the oh-so-distinguished title of worst DVD distributers.

------------------
-David

Dave
01-02-2001, 08:43 PM
I agree, even Wes Craven has bitched about Dimention's unnesessary rushed efforts. Scream 3 was good, but really needed Williamson's imput to push it past the label of 'good'.

Whoa whoa whoa! Hate to change the topic here, but you're actually saying that Scream 3 was "good"? You've got to be shitting me! I mean, I know a lot of people like the original Scream, but nearly everyone admits to Parts 2 and 3 being pure shit. Just take a look at the POS ending, nevermind the poor acting, lack of plot and the "I don't want to be doing this" look on most of the actors faces, especially Campbell.

Sorry...I'm just in utter shock from this statement. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

hojimoji
01-02-2001, 11:06 PM
I concur, Scream 3 sucked. For awhile I thought the whole series sucked, until I actually read Kevin Williamson's script for Scream. It had none of the "cute" aspects that plagued the finished prodcut. It was just a scary story that was written by someone who was obviously a horror fan. So, I stand by the first Scream as a flawed but honest attempt to make an homage/satire.

The second one was watchable, but predictable. It managed to suffer from every single excess it made fun of. And, it was an obvious attempt to make money.

Scream 3 was only watchable because I am a Kevin Smith fan and his cameo was the only thing about the movie I found even mildly entertaining. This movie had "hack" written all over it.

But, that's just one guys opinion. I could be wrong.

G.

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-03-2001, 08:19 PM
Dracula 2000 ate a bucket of shit! Wes Craven doesn't deserve such shame! What a terrible, sorry, stupid excuse for a horror film, any film! Scream 3 stands in golden snow flakes compared to this piping hot plate of feces! The plot was tired, the characters were dull and emotionless, besides a few whimpers, and the dialouge was just awful! THIS MOVIE IS A COMPLETE JOKE! and that whole virgin mega store worker named mary give it up!

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

ctyner
01-03-2001, 08:40 PM
Should I be embarassed that I really enjoy both Scream and Scream 2...and that I consider the first sequel to be marginally better than the original? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

I didn't care for Scream 3 much at all though. I didn't loathe it as much as everyone else seems to, though.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

David666
01-04-2001, 12:30 AM
Ok, ok, ok... once again people. YES, I am a fan of the SCREAM TRILOGY. That means all of them. I do not believe it when it is stated that "everyone" agrees that a film is bad or "sucks shit." That is nonsense! And, I, unlike alot of people, do NOT jump on backlash bandwagons. I like what I like and I don't give a shit if anyone agrees or not. Not everyone agrees with me, no problem. I will not agree with a "general consensis" or a "rally 'round the flagpole" mentality. I liked Scream, Scream 2 and Scream 3. Why is it such a god-damn big deal?

Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
-David

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-04-2001, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by David666:
I liked Scream, Scream 2 and Scream 3. Why is it such a god-damn big deal?
Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no crime you have commited! the Scream films are a great series and has revived, and kept, horror above water for a while now. We don't get straight to video bullshit nowadays thanks to the Scream films. I remember a time when everyone thought horror films were going to fizzle out and dissapear like westerns. (but if they keep making movies like Dracula 2000 and Bless the Child then we might need to worry again...NAH!!)

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

Dave
01-04-2001, 04:17 PM
David666:

Sorry, I just have trouble understanding. Not really a "bandwagon" thing. I tried each and every Scream movie and made up my own mind.

What shocks me is that everyone in "real life" that I've talked to, which includes numerous fans of the original Scream, think that Part 3 was total shit. I do admit I don't normally follow Scream threads on the Internet, so perhaps there are some others besides you that actually liked it.

Hey, to each his own. If you like it, you like it. Just don't expect people not to question WHY you liked it. I stated why I disliked it, so why don't you explain why you DID like it.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)