PDA

View Full Version : Best Oliver Stone film

Hellbilly
09-14-2002, 12:11 PM
Even tho he only made two horror films - what's your favorite Oliver Stone movie?

rhett
09-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Any Given Sunday was a hack-fest (despite the presence of Pacino), but other than that his movies have been very affecting and well made. It is tough for me to pick just one, but if I did it would probably be the misunderstood Natural Born Killers. It is a great film with some haunting imagery (a rabid rabbit anyone?).

Nice poll, Vienerschnitzel. :)

KillerCannabis
09-17-2002, 08:44 PM
NBK all the way. Not only Stone's finest flick, but also one of my favorite films ever.

indiephantom
09-19-2002, 12:04 AM
I'm a huge Stone fan. A lot of people don't like him, but I love his stuff. I went with JFK . I also love NBK, Nixon, The Doors, U-Turn, Platoon and Salvador.

His worst films are Heaven & Earth, and those "horror" films The Hand and Seizure.

mcchrist
09-19-2002, 03:34 AM
Stone is a pretensious hack. I voted for The Hand out of respect for Michael Caine.

In a similar vein, Favorite James Cameron film is Piranha 2.

:p

ScarredGod
09-19-2002, 04:04 AM
i also think oliver stone is pretentious, and his ego is too big for his own good, and i dont particularly like his films, but i think Natural Born Killers is truly a work of art, and will always remain in my favorite films list.

bigdaddyhorse
09-19-2002, 05:15 AM
NBK in a landslide! (on the vote, I almost went with Nixon, JFK or Platoon)

I like almost all Stone's movies, but don't really think I'd like him if we were to meet. I used to watch NBK to get hyped before shows, the energy of this film is amazing in the director's cut.
Another personal favorite scene is the "Monsoon Bowl" in Any Given Sunday (I want to love this movie, but it lacks and drags too much, still good, but nowhere near great.)

Come to think of it, almost all of his movies have a scene or more that just kicks.
I'm suprised U-Turn hasn't gotten a vote for J-Lo's titties yet! Who voted for Talk Radio?
Great poll (that sounds SO gay!):)

rhett
09-19-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by bigdaddyhorse
Come to think of it, almost all of his movies have a scene or more that just kicks.
I am in total agreement horse, there is always a scene I remember from each of his films that I truly adore. I didn't think all that much of AGS, but man, Pacino's mid-game speech was one of the best monologues I've ever heard. NBK has a million great scenes, my favorite being the shots of the rabbit foaming at the mouth to Leonard Cohen's "The Future". The scene featured on the cover of Platoon is also a standout.

Stone may be pretentious at times, but he certainly knows how to make some amazingly powerful scenes.

moogong
09-20-2002, 01:35 AM
Wow...talk about a tough choice. Olive Stone makes killer flicks but I had to go with The Doors. It wasnt the best movie but I love the Doors and I was soooo excited when the movie came out. I didnt vote for it based on its artistic measure but more for the sentimental value.

jscott
09-20-2002, 01:57 AM
I went with JFK.

MorallySound
07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I just watched U-Turn last night for the first time, and I was fucking floored. What a fucked up number that movie is! Such a wild ride! I love NBK, but I think U-Turn is now my favorite Oliver Stone flick. There's a ton of wickedly quotable dialogue, and quite possibly my favorite line in any movie, "40,000 people die every day. Why aren't you one?" Hahahahahahaha. U-Turn and NBK would make an amazing double-feature!

On a side note, Oliver Stone is an amazing actor, just check out his acting chops in "The Battle of Love's Return" ahhahahaha. :lol:

satans-sadists
07-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for digging up this poll and count another vote for U-Turn. Agreed on the choice dialogue while the story itself is wonderfully sick and twisted. Awesome cast too! Nick Nolte is at his slimy best here. Billy Bob Thornton isn't even recognizable at first. I really love the desert photography in U-Turn. You also get a really offbeat musical score from Ennio Morricone along with an eclectic soundtrack to fit the mood of the film.

My runner up votes would go to The Doors and Natural Born Killers.

MorallySound
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for digging up this poll and count another vote for U-Turn. Agreed on the choice dialogue while the story itself is wonderfully sick and twisted. Awesome cast too! Nick Nolte is at his slimy best here. Billy Bob Thornton isn't even recognizable at first. I really love the desert photography in U-Turn. You also get a really offbeat musical score from Ennio Morricone along with an eclectic soundtrack to fit the mood of the film.

My runner up votes would go to The Doors and Natural Born Killers.

Hahah yeah. Every single cast member is scorching! And Ennio's score definitely adds another edge to this film. Also, I absolutely love the opening credits!

dwatts
07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Ooooooo, quite easy. Not that I knock the guys efforts, but some I'm just not interested in. But there's one film there that - while having numerous faults - is just great entertainment. So I go with The Hand.

Rockmjd
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Platoon, of course.

othervoice1
07-08-2008, 10:34 PM
As far as his best film overall? Id say Platoon but I enjoyed both Natural Born Killers and The Doors quite a bit.

onebyone
07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Platoon is my favorite of his and my second favorite war film after all, right behind Patton.

Spit
07-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I love Oliver Stone, hes the only dude that would have the balls to add some sort of crazy Jesus scene into a movie about 9-11. Lots of good films out of Crazy old Oliver's noggin....NBK takes my vote though. I give some serious love to The Doors and Platoon.

The Chaostar
07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
NIXON, his most mature film I think. TALK RADIO would be next choice.

BroodingHope
07-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Wow, I'm the only one who voted for Born on the Fourth of July? That's amazing. I think it's by far his best work.

_pi_
07-09-2008, 03:28 AM
JFK, all the way. Amazing film.

thrashard76
07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
The Doors

Mutilated Prey
07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Had to go with Natural Born Killers, but Platoon and The Doors are a very close second.

Mark Relford
07-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Voted for The Doors. Kilmer made a great Morrison. NBK gives me a headache. The visuals are striking, but the movie is a mess.

Erick H.
07-10-2008, 06:14 AM
He's talented,though hit and miss with me.I voted for SALVADOR ,great James Woods performance.
I noticed you left ALEXANDER off the list.Good.

maskull
07-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Platoon. My favourite war flick. One of my favourite movies.

HellRazor
07-14-2008, 11:49 AM
NATURAL BORN KILLERS, with JFK a close second, and THE DOORS and NIXON as third and fourth.

Criswell
07-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Watching NBK in a Cineplex with a full audience of pretol heads, muscle duded etc etc was a blast. They just did not get it!!!

Best scene was the Dangerfield domestic violence bit with the canned laugh soundtrack!!! People were standing up, arguing with their girlfiends abusing the screne etc.... shit it was a laugh. They just did not nderstand what the hell Stone was trying to do.

_pi_
09-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Just watched the Director's Cut of Nixon and was utterly amazed. Although JFK is still my favorite film of his, Nixon is just a phenomenal achievement. John Williams's music is also phenomenal.

YottNik
09-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Went with The Doors. Love The Doors, love the movie.

Vlachio
09-26-2008, 12:25 AM
NATURAL BORN KILLERS (1994) all the way!

Harry Warden
09-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Natural Born Killers!!

Coverdale
09-26-2008, 02:54 AM
I picked The Doors (it's like one long acid trip) but then realized I should have picked Wall Street!

I'm looking forward to "W". I might just have to have a few drinks at dinner, then go see "W" at the theatre and laugh my ass off the whole time! Whoo hoo!

Uncle Jay
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I like Oliver Stone, and for me, it's a tie between JFK and Natural Born Killers. I voted for JFK, which is an amazing film. But Natural Born Killers is right there as well, just slightly under it. Slightly!

http://www.jfk-online.com/100xlewin.jpg

-UJ

Angelman
10-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Doors.

Workshed
10-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I only recently watched The Hand for the first time this month, but it was fantastic. As a comics fan, I admit that it tapped into my fandom, but it was a great horror film, regardless. Loved the B&W shots, Caine's performance, and all the comic book subtext (deconstruction vs. guys-in-capes).

Wish he'd return to the genre.