PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale DVD

Mika
09-14-2002, 02:16 PM
I am new here so I'm sorry if this question has already been discussed in an earlier thread...

I would like to get Battle Royale on DVD....which is the one to go for? I don't mind the region or Pal or Ntsc....I heard that this month a two disc set will come out on Region 2 but I have no idea in what country...can you help me with this? thanks...

KillerCannabis
09-14-2002, 09:37 PM
I've got the R0 NTSC version put out by Tartan. It's 16X9 and the quality is very good. There is going to be a 2-disc version released 9/23 in the UK which will be the SE with more than 10 min of extra footage and lots of bonus materials. That version will be R2. There is also a R3 Jap version of the SE with some good extras and DTS sound. Hopethat helps.

Bods
09-15-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
There is also a R3 Jap version of the SE with some good extras and DTS sound. Hopethat helps.

The Japanese DVDs of the original version and "special" version are R2.

The average HK DVD is R3.

For english-sub only people, indeed, Tartan's DVDs are the way to go. Just make sure you avoid the original PAL release, typical Tartan quality. Their R0 NTSC DVD is way ahead, still not as good as the Japanese DVD (but the lack of a progressive transfer on the UK DVD probably won't affect the majority of people).

The forthcoming UK release of the special version is shaping up to be great extras-wise, by having the BR: Gaiden feature and keeping the press conference from the Japanese DVD. Interviews with Fukasaku & Kitano too.

The special version will also be released in Korea soon. That's set to have english/kor subs, R3, and 16:9. Not sure what they've done in the extras department.

dwatts
09-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Well, I saw Battle Royale for the first time yesterday. I had no expectations going into the movie. My only exposure to it was through this site and the few mentions it has gotten.

I have the region 0 version – NTSC 5.1 for progressive scan players. The latter sounds good, but since my progressive scan player arrived today, I never had it last night to see what difference it makes. It will be interesting to see the difference over my trusty laptop – I’ll report on that later. I bought this one in London for $15.

Anyway – what of the movie?

There are two elements to this film. The first is the plain old film itself – is it worth seeing? The second is the so called “controversy” surrounding the film.

Going in “blind” I will start by saying I enjoyed it. All in all it is a fun little film with lots of guns, fights and even a bomb.

I found the plot interesting, and continuity was good. Direction was nothing stunning, but it wasn’t bad either. I found it somewhat comical (in a good way) and frankly, I enjoyed it. There was, perhaps, a certain lack of tension. But in the end, this came across as an “action” movie more than anything else.

As to the controversy – I can only guess this was manufactured. There is nothing controversial about this film that I could see. Perhaps this is a cultural thing with Japan. The only possible issue is that these were “kids” doing the killing. On the other hand, they look - at times – too old to play the part. In the end, I was left with a “so what” attitude. Don’t buy into the bannings of this movie, or the hype that surrounds that. From a US perspective, there simply is nothing going on in this movie that will make you think twice about it. The goremeisters would be sadly disappointed IMHO. This film has a bit of blood in it, a couple of stabbings, but nothing our crowd ought to find shocking.

One comment on another site was, “Its brilliant. Shocking, horrifying, thrilling, thought provoking. A true classic .” I am truly NOT trying to cause trouble here, but I simply can’t go along with these comments. Shocking? What was shocking? It’s a bunch of people running around shooting each other…. Like Rambo. Horrifying? Because they were kids maybe? But they were teens for goodness sake – this was no worse that Scream IMHO. It was a bit thrilling at times – thought provoking? Not really. It was a bit dumbed down for that. A classic? Hm, debatable, could go either way I suppose. I think it needed more edge to be a classic.

Of course – we do have a couple of clichés. For instance, most of the people in the film are school kids thrust into playing Battle Royale. There are also a couple of rebellious kids playing too – they’re easy to spot, they’re the only ones NOT wearing school uniforms. –LOL—

All in all then – this movie was worth watching – but it’s not truly great. I cannot imagine, over time, that this movie will become a notorious film like other so called controversial offerings. It’s just not that important. However, it is fun – and I would recommend people get it to view. I liked it, and having it in my collection (at this price) is something I am happy about.

Ps: I do not mean this as a racial statement, or to sound like an asshole. However, there are a lot of characters in this film (albeit only for a short while as they die one by one) and – um – I couldn’t make out who was who for most of it. I think they all largely looked the same, and I was having trouble caring about the characters, or tuning in to their histories. I think this is partly the fault of the movie (lack of character development) and partly a cultural thing – I just had trouble figuring out who was with who because they look very similar. Thinking about it – the damn uniforms didn’t help – maybe if they had worn different clothes I could have kept better tabs on who was who.

Pps: Surprised to see peoples comments about the longer version. We seem to strive for the most complete versions of films, and in this case an extra ten minutes would be welcome. Bottom line is that you’d have to see the more complete version to really know if it is worth it. And the only way to do that is to get it

tenebre
09-19-2002, 08:47 PM
just watched it this week.

Awesome movie.

I disagree about it not being controversial. Any movie showing kids die would never get released in america. Not to mention the heavy pedophilia notions thrown in.

But regadless it was a blast to watch!

I may have to rebuy the SE when it comes out.

mcchrist
09-19-2002, 09:56 PM
It is controversial, as it created some controversy :D.

Its just not as extreme as it could have been. Kick ass film. I have the HK Region 3 release, its not bad!

dwatts
09-20-2002, 12:24 PM
--Any movie showing kids die would never get released in america.--

Erm - I watched Assualt on Precinct 13 lst night - and a guy walks right up to a little girl, looks her in the eye - and blows her away.

As for Battle Royale - it might help if they looked like kids, and not 20 year olds dressed up....

tenebre
09-20-2002, 02:51 PM
Dwatts.

let me reiterate. post mid 80s.

i knwo about assault. and it is one of the only american made films to show such a thing.

dwatts
09-20-2002, 04:33 PM
--It is controversial, as it created some controversy.--

Wel - there is REAL controversery - and there is hype from the marketting dudes and dudettes who want to sell product. I simply see nothing at all shocking in this movie.

Now - one thing I will say - right at the start of the movie, that girls evil grin - that's the stuff of nightmares!

LJMurder
09-20-2002, 07:06 PM
The version to get is the one that comes out next week from Tartan. it's got 2 disks wish a ton of extras and 10 more minutes added on to the movie. It's the japanese special edition basically.