PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Expectations and Predictions

DVD Connoisseur
01-01-2001, 02:03 PM
First, a Happy New Year to forum administrators, members and their families.

I was wondering what expectations and predictions you have for the New Year. I'm expecting some cracking good releases - it was only yesterday evening that I discovered that The Ring is being released in the UK as a widescreen, anamorphic DVD. That should be good. Then there are the forthcoming Argento releases (Opera and Suspiria) which are exciting, to say the least. My hopes for DVD in general for 2001 are high as there are some long awaited releases on the horizon - Terminator: SE, anyone?
I'm predicting The Burning (Uncut) for 2001. This is a wish thing, but I do hope it comes into fruition.
I'm predicting that the 4th Sleepaway Camp film will be made and released (probably straight to video / DVD) and that Jason X will break $50 million at the Box Office (that's playing it safe!)
What are your hopes and predictions?

landrvr
01-01-2001, 02:42 PM
wish
1. that House of 1000 Corpses will finally get released, and that it will absolutely fucking kick ass and completely renew my faith in modern horror films.

wish
2. that Ed Gein will finally get released, and that it will absolutely fucking kick ass and completely renew my faith in modern horror films.

prediction
that The Mummy Returns will suck as bad as The Mummy.

expectation
that Burton's Planet of the Apes is going to blow everyone away.

[This message has been edited by landrvr (edited 01-01-2001).]

DVD Connoisseur
01-01-2001, 02:53 PM
Time for a sad admission - I liked The Mummy! Good, tongue-in-cheek, movie matinee fun!

Planet of the Apes should rock, big time! The teaser poster has really wet my appetite for this film.

landrvr, am I correct in thinking that the studio behind Ed Gein has just gone bust?

The Chaostar
01-01-2001, 03:43 PM
wish

that Dario Argento's new film "Non Ho Sonno" will mark his great return in the Giallo genre. Some italian critics have named it "his best since Suspiria"!

Predictions

that the long awaited LORD OF THE RINGS will be amazing to look at but a mixed bag in general.

that John Carpenter's Ghost from Mars will go back to "The Thing" to get something from that atmosphear. I don't think it will manage that though...

that David Fincher's new film will be a more "straight" commercial case since a lot of money was lost on his masterpiece "Fight Club"

Expectations

Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes

Tom Tykwer's (RUN LOLA RUN) latest film, whatever it is.

fishhead
01-01-2001, 04:58 PM
Expectation:
A few fanatical Tolkien followers will want Peter Jackson's head, but for the rest of us LOTR will kick ass. (Especially the DVD version which should have a bunch more gore http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif )

Predictions:
Even though I liked The Mummy, sadly, the sequel will suck.

We will all find something to complain about in the upcoming Anchor Bay DVDs, but we'll buy the discs anyway.

Wishes:
That House of 1000 Corpses will be the best horror film in 30 years.

The Tremors 3 DTV release will be at least slightly entertaining.

That Evolution will be a decent popcorn flick.

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

Mark Relford
01-01-2001, 06:11 PM
Predictions:

John Russo will release another version of NOTLD. Hackmaster 2001: The Renegade Version, anyone? Come on, it's limited to 500 copies!

Tobe Hooper will make another shitty horror movie.

The Resident Evil movie will suck. What's up with this super computer bullshit?

I also liked The Mummy, but the sequel will probably suck. Even the preview looked lame.

2001 Maniacs and Blood Feast 2 will never see the light of day. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

Expectations:

Scott Reynolds' next movie.

Raimi's The Gift (At least it doesn't have Costner in it!)

Burton's Apes. Haven't seen the teaser poster, but I'm sure this revision will kick mucho ass!

Zombie's The House of 1000 Corpses will be a breath of fresh (putrid) air.

Wishes:

I want a DVD release of The Convent!

I want to see a definitive version of I Am Legend!

MGM will do the right thing and give us a super SE of ROTLD.

I want to see another Dead movie from Romero!

That Jason X will do good at the box office.

Here's hoping we'll see Student Chainsaw Nurses! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

landrvr
01-01-2001, 06:16 PM
DVD Connoisseur:

Overseas Film Group - the main company behind the Ed Gein - is alive and well. Tartan films, another production company footing the bill, is also still here.

according to an article in the Oshkosh Northwestern Regional News (no kidding), Tartan Films president Hamish McAlpine says the movie will see a US release in the spring.

i've read that they have had massive problems finding a distributor for the movie. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

supposedly there is another Ed Gein movie that is in production as well. maybe that film is the one having troubles.

incidently, the film is being shown in Spain right now; after winning a 'best of show' award at their big film festival.

[This message has been edited by landrvr (edited 01-01-2001).]

Argento Fan 2003
01-01-2001, 07:46 PM
Predictions:
The Suspiria LE Tin will be one of the hardest to get.
Non Ho Sonno will get a theatrical release in the US, it's not impossible.
Hannibal will do very well.
Expectations:
The Goonies will finally be released on DVD.

AceRimRat
01-01-2001, 07:48 PM
OK, here are my fearless predictions/expectations/hopes/etc. Don't mock me for them later.

Prediction:
Backlash against the Scream/Blair Witch style of horror will result in either a return to 80s-style slasher films (hope) or another down cycle for horror (hope not).

Wish:
Lots and lots of really cool SE horror DVDs. Prowler, ROTLD, Cemetery Man, Night of the Creeps, all kinds of good stuff like that.

Expectation:
That AB's Suspiria and Opera will be good, solid discs with great transfers and OK supplements, Argento lovers will scream that there's not enough stuff (right here on this forum!) and buy tons of them, tins and all, anyway.

Fear:
Downturn in the economy could force some smaller studios out of business, reducing the number of "cult classic" and "obscure" films available (maybe we won't miss Simitar, but imagine if Elite or Synapse went bust).

Wish that will never happen:
Resident Evil movie comes out and kicks @ss!

Wish with less chance than that:
Somebody buys my horror movie script, it gets made, and all you guys love it!

Series prediction:
Jason X will do OK, but Halloween 8 will suck.

Tragedy (?) in the industry:
John Russo gets lynched after releasing the aforementioned Hackmaster 2001 (c. Mark Relford) version of NOTLD.

Best studio of 2001:
Anchor Bay - Quantity and quality will get them the nod, even if the Argento fans grumble a little.
Runner-up: New Line - If the movie's good, the DVD will be even better.

Worst studio of 2001:
MGM - Can't wait to hear everyone complain about the bare-bones LD port of ROTLD buried amid 73 August titles, or something like that. You can just see it coming.

Mark Relford
01-01-2001, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the title, Ace! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif Truthfully, I would still buy the barebones release, as long as it's in good quality. This sucker's been out of print for too long! Don't get me wrong, a loaded SE would still be sweet!
Vdlman, how's the petition? How many signatures so far?

------------------

Jason25
01-02-2001, 12:45 AM
Burton and Planet of the Apes sounds like a great combination to me.

Expectations

House of 1000 Corpses will bring wanna be horror fans to this forum and piss everyone off. I can see people thinking they are horror fans after seeing this one. I expect it to be really good, but predict it will be talked about all year. I hate when people talk a subject to death.

Argento's movie, whatever it ends up being named, will kick ass and will have a limited U.S. release. I really, really hope Troma doesn't acquire DVD rights to this one. Hey Lloyd, go work on something for Troma to release instead of acquiring movies from somewhere outside Troma. Thanks

I expect some great Euro Horror titles from Anchor Bay and Image. Can't wait for more great Tins from Anchor Bay.

I expect Jason X will tank at the box office. I'll certainly see it, but doubt too many others will flock to the theaters to see it.

As far as wishes go, MGM could finally see themselves on my good side if they release an SE of Killer Klowns From Outer Space. An SE of ROTLD would be very nice also.

2001 will be a great year if I get my hands on more Fulci and Argento dvds.

One last wish is that Anchor Bay sits on every dvd they make of a Bruno Mattei film, if they can be called so. I really hate to knock Anchor Bay, but that is a really poor decision to have Bruno Mattei as your next Euro director you feature. I was really hoping they would do something with the films of Umberto Lenzi, I like him much much more than that loser named Mattei, he is horrible.

Vdlman
01-02-2001, 01:11 AM
Mark, so far the petition has 141 signatures. I think we need at least, and maybe this is wishful thinking, 500 before I forward it on to MGM. I'm willing to wait for more signatures in hopes someone will pay attention at MGM.

The Chaostar
01-02-2001, 01:33 AM
Hey, you know that Argento has been so happy with Anchor Bay's discs for Inferno and Deep Red that he is thinking about giving the right of Non Ho Sonno to Anchor Bay for a DVD release.
That would be great since the music written for the film by the great Goran Bregovic was dismissed by the production company who forced Argento to use Goblin music, even though he protested. Let's see....

Mark Relford
01-02-2001, 01:47 AM
Vdlman, at least you're trying. Keep up the good work! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------

JBENE
01-02-2001, 02:35 AM
DVD-

CHERRY FALLS-UNCUT
SE of THE FOG
AB-more FULCI and ARGENTO please
ROTLD already
FRIGHTENERS SE

THEATRICALLY-
JASON X does 50 million so FREDDY VS. JASON gets off the ground
HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES-Bring it on already
GHOSTS OF MARS-screw RED PLANET and MISSION2MARS
I CAN'T SLEEP-Ah new ARGENTO
BRUISER-ah new ROMERO
DAGON-LOVECRAFT and GORDON reunited and it feels so good

hojimoji
01-02-2001, 03:30 AM
Where's Beyond Re-Animator?

G.

Jason25
01-02-2001, 03:45 AM
Also very eager for Ghosts of Mars and Shadow of the Vampire. 2 very promising looking films.

jae
01-02-2001, 06:44 AM
predictions:

Planet of the Apes will kick ass (somebody post a link to the teaser poster!)

Shadow of the Vampire will take everybody by surprise and will be a really good vampire movie compared to the crappy Dracula 2000.

landrvr
01-02-2001, 01:10 PM
planet of the apes news can be found at the very excellent:
http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/main.html

the apes page has 2 archived sections that have some incredible set photos, as well as the teaser poster!