PDA

View Full Version : jacques tourneur on dvd

marioscido
09-16-2002, 09:13 AM
I just purchased the recently released "Night/Curse of the Demon" on dvd. It looks quite good.

Has anyone heard if any of the earlier RKO films will be released on dvd: "Cat People," "I Walked with a Zombie," or "The Leopard Man" ? I e-mailed Criterion about the possibilty of putting out "I Walked," but it doesn't look very promising.

Vasilis
09-19-2002, 08:58 PM
I just finished watching Jacques Tourneur's Night of the demon. It was a great movie, and the quality of the dvd wasn't bad at all. The only thing that bad bothered me is since that dvd is American, why the hell are the menus in Japanese? Did anybody else notice this?

marioscido
09-20-2002, 12:03 AM
Yes, it is a great movie. I was ecstatic when I heard of its release on dvd.

I have the Columbia/Tristar edition, which has both "Curse of the Demon," the shorter US release, and "Night of the Demon," the longer UK release. It has Japanese and French subtitles, but the menus are in English.

Vasilis
09-21-2002, 02:35 PM
I have the same edition marioscido, columbia tristar with both curse of the demon and night of the demon on the same disc, but for some reason, all the menus are in japanese. It's really weird.

Fart Lighter
09-22-2002, 01:52 AM
have you got a 'chipped' region 2 player? A Toshiba most likely? Tey've been giving off Jap menus on this disk for some reason...

Vasilis
09-22-2002, 07:47 PM
No my player is region 2, i haven't chipped it yet. But this week i'm going to anyway.

marioscido
09-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Alright guys, can someone explain to this techo-plebean what a "chipped" a dvd player is?

I have to make a confession: I have a region 1 player only! Does that excommunicate me automatically from the Forum? ;)

Vasilis
09-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Dvd players around the world have regional restrictions. For example in the States and Canada all players are region 1. In Greece where i live, all players are region 2. Europe in general is region 2. There are many region 1 discs that i like to buy, but because my player is region 2 , it won't play them, that's why i will chip my player, making it region free. There are few ways to make a dvd player region free. One of the most common ones is of course by making modifications from inside. I think having a region free player is what everybody in this forum really wants.

marioscido
09-23-2002, 01:55 AM
Ok, how does one "chip" a dvd player? And what is the difference between a "chipped" player, and the JVCD XV-S500BK region free player that Dave has written about in the Off Topic section?

I don't mean to turn this Tourneur discussion into a "Region Free Player for Dummies" thread, but I'm curious!

And since I'm Italian, it would be great to get some Italian versions of Argento for example - without those bad English dubs!! I was in Paris this summer (I visited the old Grand Guignol theatre) and saw a lot of stuff I would have gladly taken home.

Also, I just saw a Spanish version of Tourneur's "Cat People" on e-bay. So, I'm getting more and more interested about doing something to rectify this situation?

I guess my question is what's the best way of getting myself into that holy place you call "region free"?

ps: yes, I have read the discussion on this topic on the site. But it doesn't mention anything about "chipped" dvd palyers.

Vasilis
09-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Well the best way to move to the region free zone is to have your player chipped. There are two ways in doing this. If youn know some stuff about electronics and soldering, you can order a chip for your player online and do it yourself. If you are one of us common mortals :), i'd suggest you find a shop or a technician to do it for you. Anyway i don't no much about electronics, it's all Greek to me.;)

Cydeous
09-24-2002, 05:02 AM
marioscido: I completely sympathize with you. I'd LOVE to see the Argentos and other Italian films, like the recent Giallo Collection, in ITALIAN. After all it's the original language. I think it's lame that people use the old argument that the films were filmed without sound and then dubbed. That maybe so, but the language in which the film was made was Italian. By the way, I'm Italian too.

Oh yeah, I haven't picked up the Night/Curse DVD but I definitely will.

marioscido
09-25-2002, 08:31 AM
Cydeous: You should get it! I was really happy to see the longer British version on the disc.

Are there folks out there who own Region 2 versions of Tourneur films? If yes, which films from where, and how do they look? Thanks!

Yowie
10-01-2002, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by marioscido
I just purchased the recently released "Night/Curse of the Demon" on dvd. It looks quite good.
Has anyone heard if any of the earlier RKO films will be released on dvd: "Cat People," "I Walked with a Zombie," or "The Leopard Man" ? I e-mailed Criterion about the possibilty of putting out "I Walked," but it doesn't look very promising.
I think they're all owned by Warner now along with the other Lewtons. A nice dream would be a remastered box-set, but with Warner and classic horror you just never know. They have tons and tons of b/w classic horror, noir, and gangster movies (many Bogarts) they haven't even touched yet. :(

marioscido
10-01-2002, 06:36 PM
I figured that Warner was sitting on them. It's a real pain to see all the crap that's being released, while classics like "I Walked with a Zombie" remain shelved.

For now, I guess I'll have to stick to my bad VHS copy.

Has anyone seen "War Gods of the Deep/City Under the Sea" ?

Yowie
10-02-2002, 11:14 PM
I enjoyed "Wargods..." quite a lot, I thought it had its moments. Especially one scene was pretty creepy, when the woman is alone in the darkened room and one of those gillmen suddenly appear. Unfortunately, the gillmen make-up only works in the brief seconds they're seen on land; the underwater gillmen make-up looks silly. Apparently Vincent Price hated the movie. I just love these oldfashioned fantasy adventures, hopefully MGM have plans for "Master Of The World" (1961, also with Price), "Captain Nemo And The Underwater City" (1969), "Warlords Of Atlantis" (1977), and "The Land That Time Forgot" (1974). All would make great additions to their Midnite Movie line.

rhett
04-06-2003, 08:12 PM
I finally saw "Night of the Demon" and I thought it was great. What a great script, full of thoughtful and questioning dialogue. The demon was pretty damn creepy too. I loved the ending too, kind of like a Howard Hawks ending (ie. "Watch the skies..."). I must admit, I find some older films (especially Hammer) to be quite dated, but this one had me in suspense the entire time.

Although I kept wondering how much more effective the film would have been without the shots of the demon at the start. Oh well, it is still great!

marioscido
04-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Glad to hear you liked this great film, Rhett. "Night of the Demon" truly is a wonderful film. I can watch it over and over.

The interesting thing about Tourneur was that he truly believed in the supernatural and in paranormal occurrences. That's why his films are blessed with wonderful ambiguities about the events depicted. He always left the door open for multiple explanations. I love his horror films.

studio1
04-15-2003, 03:02 AM
marioscido
I'm also a number one fan of Night/Curse, and eagerly purchased the 2 movie disc when it was released.

I have loved this movie ever since I saw it as a child, I had previously taped this movie from channel 4 television, when the showed it many years ago now.

I watched both prints of the dvd disc, and then watched the print from the channel 4 version I had taped and the columbia vhs original vhs tape print I had, both 4.3 prints

A lot of the scenes in the vhs version and the channel 4 televised version, you could see lots more at the bottom, such as the scene where Holden is talking to Karswell on the telephone, you can clearly see scissors and other items on karswells desk, which you cannot see on the dvd print, which is understandable being a 4.3 print, but its definately worth getting to see.
Plus lots of other scenes where you can clearly see lots more

S1

By the way the tape is the NTSC version Curse of the Demon/Columbia Pictures which I bought in the usa whilst on holiday,Another weird fact I must mention is that it seems as if the tape version has bits of both the usa version and the uk version mixed together:confused:. you will know when you eventually watch it:D:confused:

marioscido
04-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Now, we are getting into the messy business of aspect ratio!

"Night/Curse" was released in 1957, the early years of widescreen cinema. The first widescreen films were released in 1953. "Night/Curse" was shot in 1.85:1 soft matte, meaning that if you transfer the film in 1:33:1, you get more information on the bottom, but lose information on the sides. The film, however, was shot and released theatrically in 1.85:1.

I have a taped version of "Curse" from Scream, our Canadian horror channel, but I never actually attempted to compare the versions. I will do it with the scene you mention in mind.

The issue of aspect ratio is never cut and dry, as many people (including people on this site) think it is. But as a rule, I try to stick close to the vision of the filmmakers.

"Night/Curse" is Tourneur's last great film.

studio1
04-15-2003, 07:52 PM
LOL, don't get me started with aspect ratios, I've had lots af heated arguments concerning aspect ratios.

I'll definately be hanging on to my Curse 4.3 tape version as like I say its a curiosity, that has both the U.K. and U.S. version mixed together.

Superb Movie, which is in my all time top 10

regards S1