PDA

View Full Version : End of Year - Best Of DVD Purchases....

landrvr
01-01-2001, 02:56 PM
end of the year. time to reflect on our top 5 DVD purchases in 2000. here's my list:

#5 Neil Finn - Sessions at West 57th

#4 Planet of the Apes Box Set
how cool is it to have every apes movie on dvd?

#3 Fight Club
this is what DVD is about - or supposed to be about. a great film, tons of cool extras, and great packaging design to boot.

#2 Seven
ditto all the above.

#1 Sopranos - Season 1
man, this show is good. really good. i don't have HBO, but i've heard so many good things about this series that i took a chance on the new box set. am i ever glad i did. it's utterly addicting. i've had the set for about 1 1/2 weeks, and i'm nearly through each episode. filming each episode for future widescreen release on DVD was a stroke of genius.

Jeremy
01-01-2001, 04:45 PM
1) Fight Club - I didn't see this one in the theatre, mostly because the ads that I saw made it look like just another dumb Brad Pitt movie. Boy was I wrong. The two-disc set was great, more extras than you can shake a stick at.

2) Chasing Amy (Criterion) - Sure it cost $40 and the picture is rather grainy, but it's a great movie and the disc has a great commentary track to boot.

3) Re-Animator - Mostly because I found this one sitting on a store shelf long after it had gone OOP.

4) Scream Trilogy - I actually like the Scream series quite a bit. I don't know why, but I do. The box set is a rip-off at $90, but I was able to find this on an on-line retailer for nearly 50% off.

5) Get Carter (1971) - Not the most extras-laden DVD, but it's got a great transfer, and I think the movie itself is one of Michael Caine's best.

Dave
01-01-2001, 06:17 PM
#1) X-Files Season 1+2: Finally broke down and bought these after listening to my brother rave about the show for years. Glad I did. I'm hooked! About 1/4 through Season 2 and I've been watching this new season on TV with Robert Patrick, which I'm also liking a lot

#2) Evil Dead Trap - surprisingly good, which I didn't expect at all.

#3) The Beyond - fell in love with this movie after seeing it a few times. Hated it at first though.

#4) Carnival of Souls - Classic ghost tale. Criterion 2 DISC SE is a must own.

#5) Planet of the Apes box set - APES! NUFF SAID!

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Mark Relford
01-01-2001, 06:24 PM
(1) Se7en
(2) Repo Man tin
(3) The Beyond
(4) H.G. Lewis' "classics" on DVD.
(5) T2

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

AceRimRat
01-01-2001, 07:34 PM
1. Gladiator (love the film, discs are top-notch...)
2. Se7en (been waiting for this forever, just so it's watchable and I don't have to flip it, making the set a complete bonus...)
3. Deep Red/Tenebre/Inferno (so I went a little nuts on the Argento this year...)
4. Beyond/COTLD (and the Fulci...)
5. Pitch Black (sleeper DVD of the year...)

And there's plenty of other great stuff I picked up this year, horror and non-horror. Someday I'll be posting from a DVD Anonymous clinic instead of from (don't tell) work.

Jason25
01-02-2001, 12:52 AM
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie Tin
The Beyond Tin
Repo Man Tin
Gladiator
Deep Red
Inferno
Planet of the Apes Box Set
Mario Bava Box Set

I know, more than 5 choices, just couldn't narrow it down any further.

[This message has been edited by Jason25 (edited 01-01-2001).]

landrvr
01-02-2001, 01:26 AM
jason25: good call on the Let Sleeping Corpses Lie tin. it just barely missed my top 5. a great film with a decent package.

The Chaostar
01-02-2001, 01:58 AM
The Beyond
Excellent transfer - extras - packaging.

Fight Club
Words are not enough
Oh, and was does a dumb Brad Pitt film looks like? Seven, Fight Club, Snatch, Twelve Monkeys, Interview With A Vampire, Kalifornia? I think he's great, and his choices are more than great!

Deep Red - Inferno
Great. Just great. The image is so good that even with no extras I would be more than happy.

Nekromantik
Packed with extras and with a solid transfer for an 8mm flick!!!!!

Liquid Sky
Sorry, I know that the extras are not that much and that the picture is not great but I adore this movie.....

hojimoji
01-02-2001, 02:20 AM
When compared to Seven and Fight Club, A River Runs Through It and Legends of the Fall would count as dumb Brad Pitt movies.

G.

Jeremy
01-02-2001, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by hojimoji:
...Legends of the Fall would count as dumb Brad Pitt movies.

That's exactly the one I was thinking of when I wrote that. Seven Years in Tibet and Meet Joe Black are close runners-up, though...

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 01-01-2001).]

mutleyhyde
01-02-2001, 03:11 AM
Hey, wasn't he the stoner in True Romance? That was a good little part!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Jason25
01-02-2001, 03:30 AM
yeah, he was the stoner in True Romance.

mutleyhyde
01-02-2001, 03:58 AM
Dig that honey bear!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

DVD Connoisseur
01-02-2001, 05:18 AM
In no particular order of merit, my favourite 5 purchases of the year:

1) Nekromatic - superb special edition of this underground classic that I never thought would see the light of day.
2) Deep Red - The transfer, the soundtrack, the movie
3) Evil Dead Trap - Wow!
4) Pitch Black - Out of nowhere, this film took me by surprise
5) The Beyond (Tin!) - At last, this film has been given the treatment it deserves