PDA

View Full Version : The Pool

evileye
09-17-2002, 05:19 AM
Being the slasher sucker I am, the german flick THE POOL (aka THE SWIMMING POOL) caught my eye thanks to a fun review by ARROW IN THE HEAD (God bless 'em).

This is due on DVD this friday by our friends at Artisian, but I have been unable to locate info (or a box cover) for this title. It was released widescreen overseas, but alas I am corcerned the US version may suffer P&S headaches in the wake of SLEEPLESS.

Has anyone found the stats for the DVD?

Fistfuck
09-17-2002, 06:32 AM
I don't care for Arrow in the Head. I think he's immature, misongynistic, and his reviews neither flatter nor promote a movie. He runs contests asking which you like better, tits, ass or crotch, and his site seems to be a constant parade of promotions.

K'
09-17-2002, 08:55 AM
Amazon, Deepdiscount and Dvdboxoffice all list it as widescreen.
Specs (from ddd):

Region 1
Keep Case

Anamorphic Widescreen

Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital Stereo - English

Additional Release Material:
Behind The Scenes Footage
Production Interviews
Deleted Scenes
Trailers

Interactive Features:
Interactive Menus
Scene Access

Text/Photo Galleries:
Filmographies

Cover (from dvdboxoffice)

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/images/90024147.jpg

I just watched the german Swimming Pool dvd yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Sure there are some whacky things, but there is also some great stuff (some creative deaths, a nice but not overly talented international cast, great setting etc). The disc itself was also nice: Great picture and sound and all the extras the region one has + an audio commentary by the director and the camera man. It is a shame that they didn't put the ac on the rc1, since you really get some great infos about the production, their budget and time shedule problems and the two guys also crack one or two mean jokes.

shift
09-17-2002, 03:26 PM
Humm can ya tell me if theres this scene in it, so I can remember if I am talking about the same movie?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene:

A girl is now coming down the waterslide, having a great time, laughing all the way. Then she comes to the last stretch of the slide and she sees the small pool below the waterslide full of blood. Now she is trying to stop and screaming for her life. THEN the big ass knife goes up through the slide. And she COLIDES STRAIGHT INTO THE KNIFE and gets SLASHED?
-------------------------------------------------------------

K'
09-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by shift
Humm can ya tell me if theres this scene in it, so I can remember if I am talking about the same movie?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene:

A girl is now coming down the waterslide, having a great time, laughing all the way. Then she comes to the last stretch of the slide and she sees the small pool below the waterslide full of blood. Now she is trying to stop and screaming for her life. THEN the big ass knife goes up through the slide. And she COLIDES STRAIGHT INTO THE KNIFE and gets SLASHED?
-------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this scene is in "Swimming Pool" aka "The Pool".

One of the best kills ever, "enjoy":

http://stadt.heim.at/hongkong/150685/umbenennbar3/pool_01.jpg
http://stadt.heim.at/hongkong/150685/umbenennbar3/pool_02.jpg
http://stadt.heim.at/hongkong/150685/umbenennbar3/pool_03.jpg

McBride_01
09-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Fistfuck
He runs contests asking which you like better, tits, ass or crotch.

Which one won??? :D

Fistfuck
09-18-2002, 06:19 PM
Hell if I know. Go to the site and find out.

Suicide
09-19-2002, 08:42 AM
I like the Arrow. Nothing wrong with a little immaturity now and then. He doesn't always run Tits, Ass and Crotch polls. I think his reviews can be quite hilarious, but I understand how one could not care for him. Anyway I got the Pool today on video, my store only had the videos in and today was my last day, so I just went ahead and got it. I'll probably watch it tomorrow. Perhaps I'll give my thoughts on it.

KillerCannabis
09-25-2002, 03:57 AM
The Pool honestly looks like one of the worst flicks I could see. And thats being easy on it. But I have been wrong.

Jamm
09-26-2002, 02:06 PM
This wasn't the best film I've ever seen, but certainly not the worst, and I'll agree that the cast was not overly talented, but they were certainly all very good looking, which seems to be the major requirement in a horror movie. After all, what fun is it to watch ugly people get diced up?

Mattster
09-26-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Jamm
After all, what fun is it to watch ugly people get diced up?

I'm all for seeing Julia Roberts get diced up in a movie. My math teacher thinks she's a great actress and she hates Jennifer Connelly. She even goes as far as saying Julia is prettier!

rhett
09-26-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Matt85
I'm all for seeing Julia Roberts get diced up in a movie. My math teacher thinks she's a great actress and she hates Jennifer Connelly. She even goes as far as saying Julia is prettier!
Did you see J.Con at the Oscars?! Woof! :D

But yeah, Connelly is definitely hotter than Roberts.

mcchrist
09-26-2002, 09:15 PM
After all, what fun is it to watch ugly people get diced up?

Well, Stage Fright was pretty cool...

:D

Mattster
09-26-2002, 09:16 PM
Yeah I saw her and she looked ok to me. She looked thinner than normal, but she didn't look UGLY or anything. Remember how Julia looked at the Oscars? lol

Fistfuck
09-27-2002, 02:15 AM
Julia is a horse-mouthed Revlon test animal. Nothing naturally beautiful about her at all. J Con is ALL WOMAN.

THE MOVIE KING
09-30-2002, 09:50 PM
JENNIFER CONNELLY

"WOW" Jennifer has lost to much weight also that pink dress
looked like SHIT. But she looked great in THE ROCKETEER
And CARREER OPPORTUNITES.

SHE MAKES ME WANT TO SIT-UP AND BEG FOR BUTTER MILK.
:D :D :D :D :D :

WesReviews
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow, I can't believe I never responded to this thread after watching the movie. I bought the DVD a looooooong time ago after reading recommendations in this very thread. :)

So, I've seen The Pool a couple of times now, and I must say, it's flawed but enjoyable.

The first time I watched it, I didn't notice, but re-watching it for my review at Oh, The Horror! (http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=81), I discovered that ISLA FISHER (Wedding Crashers) and James McAvoy (Wanted) were in the cast. Sure didn't expect anyone famous to have come from this flick. lol

If you can find it, I think The Pool's worth a look. There are plenty of worse slashers out there, for sure. The killer's costume is kinda lame and the revelation of who it really is is kind of a cheat, but there's a moderate amount of fun along the way.

Anyone watched this one recently?

HAEMORRHAGE
02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
It's an alright movie but it doesn't really stand out either.