PDA

View Full Version : which is the best Dawn Of The Dead disc?

mafianinja
01-01-2001, 05:24 PM
Hello,

I remember hearing that possibly Anchor Bay was going to release Zombi the Argento cut of Dawn Of The Dead as part of the Argento Collection. Anyone know about this? I really want to buy this movie but, I only want to do it once. I rented it from Netflix and it was a "flipper" and I'm not sure if much was cut. I read that it might be missing as much as 10 mins. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks --mike

Dave
01-01-2001, 05:42 PM
If you only want to watch it once I'd say you'd be best waiting until 2002 when Anchor Bay release their definitive version. Should contain every version of the movie.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

AceRimRat
01-01-2001, 08:53 PM
If you can't wait till '02, there's two versions from AB now: the Director's Cut (the flipper) and the U.S. Theatrical Cut.

I don't have the DC and I've never seen the disc, but I heard it's pretty bad quality. The DC isn't really the DC, from what I've read, but the version released for early film festivals, etc. It is longer than the TC, which as far as I know is Romero's "real" cut. I bought the TC and the quality is pretty good, a B+ or so, and I don't miss the extra stuff (had the DC video). Not a lot of extras, though.

If you really only want to buy one, wait for the big one. If you want one now, and you're willing to buy the big one later, I'd get the TC (or I should say, I did get the TC).

Dave
01-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Then there's the Elite CAV LD box set that has a commentary track. But chances are Anchor Bay will have that on their disc, hopefully with a few more commentary tracks.

Best thing to do is to wait, or buy the TC to hold you over (that's what I did).

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

DVD Connoisseur
01-02-2001, 06:22 AM
Yes, the Anchor Bay special edition DVD of this movie should be an item of great beauty - I can see people fighting in the stores for copies of this one. Could it be the most anxiously awaited horror release ever (maybe tied with Suspiria)? Of course, Anchor Bay need to stick it in a tin to do it justice (only kidding, Django!)

mafianinja
01-03-2001, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the info! I am definatly going to wait for the mack-daddy version. Thanks again! --mike

Reefer
01-06-2001, 11:59 AM
I have the Dutch Filmworks DOTD DVD and it contains two DVD's: the first is the Romero cut and the second is the Argento cut.

I am not sure where you can buy this on the web, I got it from a local store that imports DVD's from Europe.

It has to be said - it is awesome.

ArrowBeach
01-07-2001, 11:00 AM
The "directors longer cut" version does contain more violence, and some new shots of intestines getting chomped on that isnt in the theatrical cut IMHO.