PDA

View Full Version : "Tetsuo: The Iron Man" (Merged Tetsuo Threads)

Shannafey
08-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Have any of you seen the 2 Tetsuo films? What can you tell me about them? Do you recommend them? I love a lot of the Japanese films I have been watching...ie Versus, Battle Royale, Junk, The Ring, etc.

2D4EVER
08-27-2002, 12:55 AM
I have Tetsuo 2. I want to see the first one but the DVD is really hard to find. Tetsuo 2 is insane. Once the action starts it never really stops. And the stop motion shit is fucking awesome. I recommed it. The ending is awesome as well but some may be offended I guess. If you've seen it you may know what I'm getting at.

Later all...

DVD Connoisseur
08-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Tetsuo is an amazing movie. I've seen it on the big screen and own it on LD. Wild film - it's part Cronenberg, part cyber-punk, part Godzilla (in a bizarre sort of way).

The sequel is also amazing.

Recommended viewing!

KillerCannabis
08-27-2002, 08:26 PM
Sounds like I'm going to track down 2 more Asian flicks for my growing collection.......

Shannafey
08-27-2002, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys. yumyumanime told me they were trying to find all region copies of the films. Amazon has the second one, but it's pricey. I hope I can track them down for a decent price. I, too am getting hooked on Japanese films.

DVD Connoisseur
08-27-2002, 11:06 PM
You guys seriously need to go multi-region as the movies are readily available on R2. (See the Reverenddave's post re: the Bensonworld sale.)

Paff
08-27-2002, 11:17 PM
Aren't these films released on DVD by Manga Entertainment?

Reason I ask, is that I met some reps from that company at Comic-Con. They have since given me a disc to review, and if they're satisfied with the review, they'll probably supply more. If they do carry the Tetsuo films, I can definitely make an effort to see if they want us to post up some reviews...

Shannafey
08-27-2002, 11:25 PM
Paff,
That'd be great if you can do some reviews on Tetsuo, and other Manga films. It looks like myself and a lot of us on the forum are really getting into the whole Japanese scene. I never really enjoyed anime, but I have seen some lately, as well, as revisiting some old stuff, and am really starting to get into it, but definitely not as much as the live action Japanese films.

2D4EVER
08-27-2002, 11:25 PM
Tetsuo 2 and Tokyo Fist (by the same director...GET THAT ALSO!) are released by Manga but the original Tetsuo was released by someone else who I forget at the moment.

I'm trying to get a multi-region player now but I keep spending my money on dvds.:eek: Damn evil dvds!

Later all...

Gnaghi
08-27-2002, 11:26 PM
yeah image released the first one manga second?... i think i've seen them mostly at borders but i can't recall... first time i ever saw tetsuo was on public access in the early 90s. it was an awesome flick... don't recall two that much... and i saw tokyo fist in the theatre but i only recall it being okay.

jeffschmidt
08-29-2002, 12:47 AM
I have Tetsuo 2 on VHS. I haven't watched it for at least a year, but I remember liking it. Typical Japanese craziness.

mcchrist
08-29-2002, 07:05 AM
The Tetsuo films are severely overrated. The only reason I even pop the tape in is to watch Drum Struck, and I don't even think that's on the DVD.

Bods
08-30-2002, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist
The Tetsuo films are severely overrated. The only reason I even pop the tape in is to watch Drum Struck, and I don't even think that's on the DVD.

IIRC, Drum Struck was listed as being on the Tetsuo DVD, but was left off.

I love Shinya Tsukamoto's films. On top of Tetsuo 1&2 and Tokyo Fist, his Bullet Ballet, Hiroko The Goblin and Gemini (his most accessable work) are all worth seeing.

Jog
08-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Tokyo Fist is a great movie... if only because I think it is somewhat similar to what I would make if I had some money to make a film... and talent. :)

AlkanFan
09-01-2002, 01:39 AM
Stay away from the domestic Tetsuo DVD at all costs. You'll be happier with the VHS; the quality's the same, it's much cheaper, and it includes DrumStruck.

The Chaostar
09-05-2002, 02:40 PM
My Tartan DVD of TETSUO looks quite good for a cheap b/w film shot in 16mm. It doesn't look much better than, let's say, Pi.

Haven't seen TETSUO 2 though.

I am pleased by some of Tartan's tranfers. Ring looked very good and so does Tetsuo. IDIOTS also looked good.
But their DVD of Audition looked grainy and dark. It looked like shit actually, having seen the film in the big screen.

dvdasia62
09-20-2002, 04:38 AM
I just ordered this DVD from Bensonsworld. So guys, what am I in for? :)

aoiookami
09-20-2002, 04:54 AM
a very strange and confusing movie..
nonetheless its one of my favorite asian films, very dark and moody, overall I enjoyed it alot. it uses alot of stop-motion animation that looks very strange, and choppy in some parts, but I think it adds to the films style. I'm currently trying to find a copy of Tetsuo 2, but refuse to buy anything from Manga Ent.

KR~!
09-20-2002, 06:18 AM
Tetsuo 2 has nothing to do with the 1st movie, but it has a much bigger budget.

mcchrist
09-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Crap.

Alot of people like it, I can't stand it. Watch Begotten instead.

dvdasia62
09-20-2002, 03:31 PM
I've seen "Begotten". I love it and all kinds of crazy, bizarre and off the wall films. This sounds right up my alley! :)

LJMurder
09-20-2002, 07:13 PM
tetsuo can only be explained in one way: "mental ass fuck"

it's probably a 70 minute movie but it's so messed up you need to take a break half way through and continue later. my friend actually watched 45 minutes and had to turn it off and watch the rest after a half hour or so.

KillerCannabis
09-20-2002, 08:06 PM
So, you bought a R1 copy of this? My friend has been telling me to see it for a while now, so I'd like to order a copy if I could. What site did you get it from if it is R1?

dvdasia62
09-20-2002, 08:30 PM
It's not an R1 release. I ordered the Tartan PAL disc from Bensonsworld. :)

AlkanFan
09-21-2002, 04:10 PM
Stay away from the Image disc at all costs. It not only doesn't have any extras (w/ a 30$ price tag) but it doesn't even include "Drum Struck" as advertised on the back cover.

McBride_01
09-22-2002, 04:50 AM
I have a dupe of the VHS that has Drum Struck. I really loved the beginning of Tetsuo, but once it gets into that stop-motion animation it's a bit hard on the eyes/brain/visual department. Still worth seeing at least once. Great opening! :)

mcchrist
09-22-2002, 07:41 AM
Drum Struck is the only reason worth buying it, and if it ain't there, its not worth it!

dwatts
09-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Well, I saw it for the first time this morning.

Tetsuo is a film with a lot of potential. Actually, for the first 15 minutes I feel like it lived up to that potential. Since the film only runs 65 minutes, that’s quite an achievement.

Sadly, a low budget and the framing of the piece in a simple – and linear – narrative, drags it down.

There is an interesting visual style here. I have read others comparing it with Begotten – but quite honestly, there are so few films that try to work at this level, why compare them? You could just as easily compare it to bits of “The Item” (such as the technique as they move through the streets). But if you do so, it does nothing to either film.

The story is quite simple. A guy turns into an iron man through a car accident. It’s about that transformation, both from a mental and physical perspective. It’s about how the change affects those around him. There also is a confrontation with another iron man, who apparently is pissed that his own metal infection (it seems to spread like a virus) was from a source that was rusty (our guy was infected by stainless steel, and cannot rust). Don’t look for many answers here – this isn’t Hollywood, and we don’t need everything wrapped up in a nice neat bow. This is Japanese movie-making.

As soon as someone says a guy turns into an iron man, likely the first thought is of a Robocop type figure, smooth silver surfaces, shiny metal objects. However, this iron man is a jumble of springs, wires and pipes – not forgetting a drill for a penis.

I love the idea. I think the visual style (off kilter, grainy, black and white video) was effective too. That’s about the only connection I could muster with Begotten, by the way. This film has all the potential to be every bit as harrowing – but I never found it that way.

Sadly, the budget does not allow for a more realistic transformation. So be prepared to see the underlying glues holding this poor fellow together. I can live with it, but I’d be remiss if I did not at least mention it. The stop motion stuff (think Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer video) was merely adequate too. Given the budget, this is to be expected, I guess.

The box says it “caused a sensation” when it was released. I can understand that it would if presented in mass media to the general public. Fans of our genre will likely be less affected. I’m sure I have never seen anything quite like it. However, a thirty minute cut would likely have been more effective, and some of the images are just not very interesting. We do get to see some disembowments, but since they are only of wires and bits of pipe, I’m not sure they truly count as “gore”. When reading box text – I have to approach it from the genre (and audience for that genre) at which it is aimed. My parents might well be shocked and mystified by this – but fans of horror and sci-fi wouldn’t be.

All in all, I paid $15 for this one. On reflection, I could have spent that money on something with a little more staying power. This one reads better on the box that it looks in execution. Still – not a total disaster. It’s a five out of ten. The first fifteen minutes is an 8 out of ten – which reflects the fact that I was initially enthralled – but strangely bored when the narrative kicked in. It includes the trailer for Tetsuo II, but I plan on giving that one a miss. No plans on watching this one again.

We can rust the world into the dust of the universe, indeed.

Shannafey
09-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Ok, I got my grubby little hands on a used copy of both Tetsuo The Iron Man (Universal release) and Tetsuo II Body Hammer (Manga release), so this week, when I find time, I will finally watch them.

Shannafey
09-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Ok, I am half way through the first one, and I know why most of you have said it takes a couple of days to get through. Personally I am not liking it, but I will watch it all, and thankfully there's a good market for it on Ebay, so the purchase wasn't in vain. I will watch the second one this weekend. I have higher hopes for it.

dvdasia62
09-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Well, I watched this film today and my thoughts on it are mixed. While it contained some of the most bizarre images I have ever seen and at times was so surreal and frenetic that I needed to take a rest after about a half hour, it really was some of the silliest stuff I have ever seen. I'm going to sit through it again to see what effect it has but this is one film I won't be showing to my family and I definately will not be shelling out money for "Tetsuo II: Body Hammer". :)

Shannafey
09-30-2002, 03:03 AM
I finally watched the both of them myself, and I would never put those dvds in the player again. It took me 2 nights to watch each movie, and I was determined to get through them, but I definitely don't know what the hype is all about. Crazy and frenetic and different, yes, but great filmmaking? No!

dwatts
09-30-2002, 11:38 AM
I did warn you :D