PDA

View Full Version : Kino's Silent Horror Box Set!!!

Jog
09-22-2002, 07:30 PM
Coming this Tuesday!!!

Features new releases of Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (with a 43 minute condensation of "Genuine") plus the first "quality" release of The Golem and the first EVER dvd of Waxworks. There will be extras on each disc (though not as many as the Image releases of those first two films), and they WILL be available seperately. Everyone might want to check out Waxworks regardless...

marioscido
09-22-2002, 10:15 PM
I'm happy that the films will also be sold individually. I really want to get "Waxworks" and since I'm dissatisfied with the quality of "Caligari" on the Elite discs, I will probably get a copy of "Caligari" as well.

First, I'll wait for the reviews at the Silent Era wed site and see from there. I might even get a different version of "The Golem" if it's a better print. But that movie is not in the best of shape.

Now, if only Kino would put out some Browning/Chaney Sr. collaborations...

MaxRenn
09-23-2002, 06:32 AM
I was just going to post something about this. If/when anyone gets these and sees them please report on price/quality etc. How were the Image releases?

What's "Waxworks" like? I've never heard of it.

Jog
09-23-2002, 10:10 PM
Waxworks is a horror anthology from... 1926? Around there, those later days of the silent era. It's from the director of "The Cat and the Canary"... can't remember his name. Lots of exotic settings, supposedly. Fritz Lang had already done this sort of thing in the early 20's with "Destiny" (HIGHLY recommended), but Waxworks is supposed to be fairly good.

I also really enjoyed the Image releases of Caligari (don't know if it's still in print) and Nosferatu (their SECOND release of course, with extras). Each disc had historical audio commentaries, and nice extras. The problem: the Kino releases have a HUGE construction of "Genuine", a wild vampire movie in the Caligari style (is the whole film still around, or is it lost?), and excerpts of early Murnau films, respectively. AHHHHHH! The choices... :)

mcchrist
09-23-2002, 11:16 PM
is the whole film still around, or is it lost?

I remember reading a few months back that they found a longer print of Genuine around 40 minutes, so I'm assuming that's the one included. 4 reels are known, I believe.

I could be wrong though.

marioscido
09-24-2002, 08:06 AM
"Waxworks," or "Wachsfigurenkabinett" was directed by Paul Leni in 1924. He came to the US with many German artists who were escaping the rise of Nazism at that time - including folks like Ersnt Lubitsch, F. W. Murnau, Michael Curtiz, Conrad Veidt, Karl Freud... He, like other Germans at that time, went to work for the German-born Carl Laemmle at Universal Studios and made the his first US film, "The Cat and the Canary" in 1927. Leni made three other films after his US debut, but died of blood poisoning in 1929.

The famous German film critic, Lotte Eisner, devoted a chapter to Leni in her classic book, "The Haunted Screen," which was originally written in French. Every fan of post- WWI German cinema should own a copy of this book.

As an aside, Werner Herzog was so distressed to find out Lotte Eisner was dying that he undertook a walking pilgrimage from Munich to her bedside in Paris, convinced that this act of faith would save her. He was right. Herzog's fascinating "walking diaries" have been published in a book, entitled "Of Walking on Ice." It's a great read!

Jog
09-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist

I remember reading a few months back that they found a longer print of Genuine around 40 minutes, so I'm assuming that's the one included. 4 reels are known, I believe.

I could be wrong though.

Yep, the extra on Kino's Caligari disc is 43 minutes long... so that's probably all that's left of it...

Jog
09-25-2002, 01:27 AM
Digitallyobsessed.com just ran a review of the whole set today. One interesting bit of info: "Genuine" actually HAS survived in a full version! A print was recently restored in Bolognia... maybe we'll see it on dvd someday...

Grrrrrr. Too much to buy. I might have to hold off on this one. Besides, my DW Griffith shorts set is arriving today (I hope)...

mcchrist
09-25-2002, 01:50 AM
Just keep in mind that Genuine is not a vampire movie in the traditional sense. Early "vampire" films, with the major exceptions of course, were simply about murderous or predatory seductresses, not really blood-drinkers (although this one does have some telepathy involved). Genuine will be interesting for the expressionist completist, but I'm not wholly impressed with the original fragment (the one in the Masterworks of German Horror Cinema). Still, I shouldn't be so judgemental as yet, however I've read the plot synopsis a while back and it just does not seem like anything I'd be interested in.

Jog
09-25-2002, 05:19 AM
Ah... I didn't know what the film was about... thanks! But even if it's more Les Vampiers than Nosferatu, it still looks interesting... and I'm still out of money...

mutleyhyde
09-25-2002, 06:33 AM
I love the scene for Genuine on the Masterworks set, and can't wait for the new material. That is AWESOME news about a full version Jog, thanks!

I'm just pissed because I don't have the money right now to get this new set - that's why I've been so uncharacteristically silent lately, especially in this sub-forum.

And by the way, marioscido, you fuckin' rock man. Only 15 posts so far and everything I've read from you has either been very informative or just plain elloquent... and you're obviously a lover of classic film. Welcome to the boards man!

marioscido
09-25-2002, 08:15 AM
Thanks mutleyhyde! I'm in the middle of exams and the only people I have to converse with these days are you folks. The Forum is a lot of fun! It's also nice to be able to talk horror with people who are passionate about it. Most of my friends here think I'm a little crazy with respect to my horror interests.

And yes, I love the classics. I can't wait to see the Kino release of "Caligari"!