PDA

View Full Version : Intruder (special edition re-release)

gunner
09-23-2002, 04:34 AM
I also posted this in the main forum as a reply to an older post but thought it might be of interest to Intruder fans on this 'slasher' forum too. This view is on Dragon's new special edition of Night of the Intruder currently available in the US exclusively at www.xploitedcinema.com

Ok, I finially got my hands on the Intruder re-release!
And, I just finished comparing the two releases. The audio/video has been improved some. The black levels in the dark scenes are now consistantly black instead of the annoying off & on pixelated grey/black displayed on the first release. And the new transfer is a bit smoother (all of this is especially noticable in the opening credits). But it still appears much too dark overall and colors are unnatural and over-saturated. It also displays some video noise distortion, commonly found on analog video tape (although much less than before). You can obviously tell that the same exact video source from the 1st release was used for this re-release, but they've cleaned it up a bit and fixed the black levels. I was happy to see a little more work go into it but I still would like to see it look better. Unfortunately, the best looking presentation of Intruder is still the Paramount/Phantom Video laserdisc (which is edited ).
- The audio (referring to the english track) which is mono is actually a greater improvement than the video. It's nothing special but unlike the first release there is no hiss and the dialog is easier to make out. If you use a home theater receiver for your audio you'll certainly appreciate the lack of audiable hissing.
- Then there is two great Sam Raimi/Scott Spiegal 8mm shorts, "Torro,Torro,Torro" and "Attack of the Helping Hand". Great stuff! The former is about a lawnmower with a mind of it's own, and the latter deals with the mascot of Hambuger Helper assaulting a house wife and milkman!! I was hoping that one of the shorts would be "Clockwork" which was the inspiration for Intruder but I'm not complaining. Seeing these two for the first time was good enough for me. And I would also like to add that these shorts are untouched, every ripped off audio segment is there, and Helping Hand even has a "THE END" cell which has the 20th Century Fox credit on it!! Dragon doesn't seem to give a rats ass about the financial politics of the home video industry, gotta love 'em, but I'm sure they're luck will run out someday. Also, In Helping Hand you'll see alot of hand-battling sequences that the reniassance gang re-visited later in Evil Dead 2.
- There is also 2 deleted/extended gore scenes, which display even more shots of carnage than the uncut print reveals! One of Sam Raimi's character getting hooked by the chin in greater front view detail (which actually looks pretty phony). And the other is the bonesaw to the head scene which takes it to the next level of over the top slasher gore! This one has the most added shots,even going to the extent of showing the head split into two halves.
- Lastly, there are two trailers (Under the titles Intruder & Night Crew), Bios, Digipack packaging w/ booklet (in german), and a still gallery which includes production photos and video covers from around the world.

Well, there's my view on the re-release. I was dissapointed that the video quality wasn't a greater improvement but the additional extras made it worth while. And the price is reasonable, actually it's cheaper than what the first release used to sell for. If you love Intruder (like me) your collection needs this disc!!

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/images/dvds/night_of_the_intruder.jpg

KillerCannabis
09-24-2002, 08:10 AM
Bad ass. I need to get this release. I've found the OOP tape at the swap meet for $15, but it claims an $80 list. Anything with Raimi is good to me.

zombi3
11-21-2002, 08:28 PM
What happened to the R1 release that was announced like 3 years ago? :mad:

BlazingMagnum
11-22-2002, 04:42 PM
Are those extra scenes actually integrated into the movie - or tagged into the extras.

onebyone
12-05-2002, 01:54 PM
I ordered this based on this thread (I loved this movie for ages) and was very pleased. It is by far the best version that I have seen. The picture wasn't perfect but everything else made up for it. Thanks guys. ;)

BloodMan
12-07-2002, 08:43 AM
I am getting this film from Germany soon. Its probably on its way. I don't think its the special edition re release though... oh well!
Maybe I'll try to get ahold of it someday, if I really like it that is.
cheers!!

Nick

Andrew
12-07-2002, 05:33 PM
I echo zombi3...:(. We need a region 1 release.