PDA

View Full Version : Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (Merged Threads)

DVD Connoisseur
05-06-2002, 08:03 PM
I've picked Riki-Oh (Story of Ricky) for this month's selection as I think it's a film that crosses barriers. It's part martial arts, part prison drama, part horror....all washed down with OTT action and violence, delivered with a comic twist.

The film is based on a Manga comic and tells the tale of the incarcerated Ricky, imprisoned for taking revenge on the killers of his girlfriend. In prison, Ricky fights for survival and justice against a number of unusual enemies. It's a simple enough tale but one that is delivered in a very entertaining way - I watched it with a very big grin!

Although it appears to have been made on a shoe-string budget, this Hong Kong produced film is high on originality and is a great beer and popcorn movie. Invite some friends over - this film is best enjoyed with company. It's great fun and well worth a rental. I bought blind and certainly don't regret it.

There are a few options to choose from when it comes to purchasing this DVD - there's the Media Blasters version or the less expensive HK release (which I myself purchased). Either purchase is thoroughly recommended as this film has to be seen to be believed!

TobalRox
05-07-2002, 03:48 AM
SO very ironic since my friends and i just watched this again on Saturday night (i hadn't watched it in months). Such a great movie. I keep it up there with Dead Alive for movies to watch to laugh and be disgusted at at the same time :)

Maupin
05-09-2002, 10:19 AM
I agree 100%. This is a great movie. The first time I watched it, I knew I was in for something special when the first bully fell onto the broken toy. Get some friends together and enjoy this one. It's one of those movies that is improved by the English-dubbed track, in my opinion. (Not that the Chinese tracks aren't pretty corny, either.)

Karm
05-10-2002, 09:00 AM
If anyone wants to watch this movie then i'd have to say wait for the far superior HKL disc thats due out in the UK in the next few months.

TobalRox
05-10-2002, 03:10 PM
I already have the DVD< what's this version have to offer that we don't already have?

Disco Stu
05-11-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Karm
If anyone wants to watch this movie then i'd have to say wait for the far superior HKL disc thats due out in the UK in the next few months.

Where did you hear this? There is no listing for Story of Ricky on play.com, bensonsworld, or even HKL's own website. And they do list upcoming titles.

Karm
05-13-2002, 09:54 AM
HKL's will restore/remaster it and have a dual language option plus a commentary and maybe interviews. It's actually mentioned on the HKL website under the news headline Three Cheers for the BBFC because they passed it uncut.

KillerCannabis
05-20-2002, 10:34 PM
I LOVE this movie. It ranks up there with Battle Royale for me. I got this disc based solely on the cover and I cant say how pleased I was with the purchase. The atmosphere of the flick, the death scenes, everything about this movie I loved. I would love to see a full-on SE of this in R1, but i wont hold my breath. I'm just happy that this even GOT a R1 release. Does anyone know what extra scenes are in the uncut version, or is the version out on R1 now uncut? All this talk has made me want to watch it again right now. Off I go........

Karm
05-21-2002, 02:47 PM
Just a quick update - HKL will release The Story of Ricky-Oh in October, not in the next couple of months as i previously said. I can't wait to get my mitts on this one!

Shannafey
09-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Based on hype I heard on this forum, I bought a copy of Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky. I got a HK all-region dvd at a collectibles show cheap and I watched it last night. Well, typically I hate kung-fu movies. They always seem ridiculous and unwatchable to me. Riki on the other hand, though of that genre of film, was unintentionally hilarious and very enjoyable. The gore effects are so over the top and made it so entertaining. Now, these effects, mind you, are very fake looking at times, but it's what probably makes this a cult classic. I read that it was based on a Japanese manga series, and the trailer to the film has comparisons to the comic characters, and the film actors, and they were very close. This film definitely had a live-action anime feel to it, though even though it was taking place in the future, it didn't seem futuristic and really didn't have any scifi elements to it. There was a fake but entertaining transformation sequence near the end. All in all this film was a load of fun, and I would highly recommend it, especially as a party film. You could make it into a drinking game. Every time blood flies, take a shot. You'll be drunk in 20 minutes. Check it out!!

dolemite
09-23-2002, 08:25 PM
I was at a local Suncoast b.s.ing with the mananger and he said that the Tokyo Shock DVD is cut. I can't imagine it since it is extremely violent but he said it was. I really don't want to buy another copy but I hate having censored versions. Anyone know anything or was he just full of shit?

DVD Connoisseur
09-23-2002, 08:32 PM
The subject of Ricky censorship surfaced in this thread:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6693

Shannafey
09-23-2002, 08:38 PM
I feel like a salesman, but I got mine through www.yumyumanime.com when they were at the show this past weekend. No, I am not affiliated with them, but they seem to have region 0 dvds of all the stuff we've been looking for. I would think my copy is uncut, but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't think the other version was, but, again, couldn't tell you. One thing I can say, is that the HK version is 86 min. Don't know if this gives any clue or not.

aoiookami
09-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Shannafey
I wouldn't think the other version was, but, again, couldn't tell you. One thing I can say, is that the HK version is 86 min. Don't know if this gives any clue or not.

that must be the cut version then, the uncut version (atleast the tokyo shock version I have..) is 91 min. long. dunno if there is an even longer verison out there?

KR~!
09-24-2002, 03:03 AM
The film is great, and it is suppose to be funny!

BloodMan
08-26-2003, 09:05 PM
I have heard alot about this movie over the past couple of years. It sounds fun and all. I found this DVD over at xploited cinema but I want some opinions from my fellow dvd nuts around here. Is it awesome? gore? Spoil stuff for me, I don't care. Make me want to buy this or make me stay away from it. :) :)
Opinions people!

Nick

Luna
08-26-2003, 09:22 PM
It's a great movie. I don't think my explanation would do it justice, so I'll just say it's a movie you absolutely HAVE to see, especially if you love gore (for instance: split/crushed heads with brains coming out, a guy using his own intestines to strangle Ricky with, eye gore, meat grinder action, organs everywhere and naturally, disembowelment... woohoo!) and kung-fu in large helpings.

Seriously, it's just an amazing movie!

Shannafey
08-26-2003, 09:53 PM
I had a fun time watching it, and agree with what Luna had to say.

Atmims
08-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Prison, kung fu, and a lot of gore. A perfect combination.

TobalRox
08-27-2003, 07:20 AM
If you have the capabilities, I recomend getting the HKL version. It's R2, but it's the best the movie will ever look and sound. I have it now, and got it from Bensons for about half the price I paid for my R1 disc.

Sinister Ash
09-02-2003, 07:16 AM
If the Tokyo Shock version is the same as the Media Asia release, then it is uncut. I'm pretty sure the tokyo shock version is a direct import from HK, with a different packaging. One way to tell if it's a Media Asia disc, is if the menu has chinese as well as english. And it might have a general trailer for Media Asia films with Jackie Chan at the end saying "check it out" or something like that.

TobalRox
09-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Media Asia and Tokyo Shock ARE the same, which is why I said to go with the HKL version.

Coverdale
09-11-2003, 03:19 AM
If you watch it with English subtitles, you will see some hilarious mis-translations. The scene where the bald guy is walking out of the john singing "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" is translated as something along the lines of "A playboy goes to take a shit but he just can't" :lol: :lol:

bslayer619
09-26-2003, 05:39 AM
Damn this movie is great!!! I love this flick. Even though I haven't seen it in years. And I haven't seen it in English so I really don't know what the story is. But I loved the gore. The version I watched was in Vietnamese. I rented it at a Vietnamese video store here in San Diego. Though I'm white and don't know any Vietnamese. Anyways I remember editing this on to one of my blank tapes. Just letting the prison guard trip into the nail more then 5 times. My friend Mike just used the restroom and came out. He was fucking freaked. I love this movie. And eventually will understand this flick once I pick up the dvd one day. Anyways if you've never seen it see it once and then once again.

dwatts
04-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Heh heh - I just thought I would look this one up since I bought it this weekend, looking forward to it!

Slow
04-14-2004, 09:54 AM
sounds like a very cool movie.. so what's the best version to buy? the UK R2 disc?

TobalRox
04-15-2004, 03:03 AM
sounds like a very cool movie.. so what's the best version to buy? the UK R2 disc?

By far... it looks so much better and actually has a few extras.

dwatts
05-12-2004, 03:30 AM
I saw this tonight for the first time.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Crap. Total stupid-ass garbage. Not sure if it's so bad it's good yet. However, I do know it ain't good, on any level.

mcchrist
05-12-2004, 06:18 AM
Come on dwatts, this movie's great.

dwatts
05-12-2004, 11:25 AM
The back of the box says this is some kind of "manga" comic book. I've never read a manga, and to be honest, I don't even know what it is. Maybe being into Manga helps?

This movie is so cheap. The SFX are pretty lame. Just about everything about it was silly. As I said in my rather brief comment above, the only way I can see this working is as a "so bad it's good" catagory. It's obviousl done very tongue in cheek - it's in the same league as Bad Taste and/or Dead Alive. Only a LOT cheaper, and more stupid.

At what level do people like this? Is it because it's so poorly made? The "so bad it's good" catagory - or am I missing the boat entirely?

Atmims
05-12-2004, 02:33 PM
"manga" is just a japanese comic book.

I really thought you would have liked this Dwatts. Maybe you expected too much?

dwatts
05-12-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of a huge amount of comedy in my horror films. Some - yes. However, this one plays out with hilarity. Really, it's a comedy with wildly over the top gore.

Why is this liked? Is it really because it's in the same vein as "Bad Taste", or do people take it seriously?

It is highly likely I went in with completely the wrong expectation. The cover plays up the gore, and I thought it was going to be shocking, I suppose. As it is, it's on the level of "Hell of the Living Dead". Right?

KR~!
05-12-2004, 05:02 PM
People like it because it is hilarious.

Who the heck would ever take it seriously?

dwatts
05-12-2004, 05:13 PM
I have no idea :D

I don't know, it just wasn't for me. Nice DVD though!