PDA

View Full Version : What do you find most important in your favorite Horror Movies

Max Yokell
09-23-2002, 10:49 PM
Ok Now I was wondering just what it is we find appealing in our favorite horror movies.

McBride_01
09-24-2002, 04:32 AM
I like a mixture of those things and maybe just one or the other from time to time. So I couldn't really pick one.

Mr.Vengance
09-24-2002, 06:28 AM
Yeah, that's a tough vote to make. Ideally I'd like to see a great horror film that incorporates all those qualities.

DefJeff
09-24-2002, 06:43 AM
i voted the General Violence one, seeing as tho my favorite horror movies are House on the Edge of the Park and Last House on the Left, its a given.

but like they said, i also enjoy a combo, i love the outrageous gore almost as much

thrashard76
09-24-2002, 07:24 AM
This seems to sum up my thoughts on my favorite horror flick. If it seems real to the viewer then its just that more intense. But from time to time a surreal or totally faked out flick is good too to change the sometimes monotony tone of the more realistic flicks. Comedy is sometimes a good thing to include too but not always. And for goodness sake...bring on the gore! :cool:

mcchrist
09-24-2002, 07:43 AM
Suspense that scares you so bad you might pee your pants like a little girl

And that is achieved, mainly, through pacing. Pacing to me is the most crucial point to a horror film. Its like filling a balloon with a slow, steady stream... You watch it expand and you know its all going to explode at the seams. Extreme violence, gore, nudity are additives and should be inevitable, but its the suspense that slams it down your throat!

John Carpenter was the master of pacing at one point in his career, all his early stuff flowed based on the films own natural tendencies.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer includes much of what is stated in this poll, but its the pacing and the suspense of what causes Henry to snap that makes this film like a stick of dynamite.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Audiences walked into this film in the seventies knowing what they should expect. The title says it all, and yet they had no idea what was coming until Leatherface slams that metal door shut.

This is what its about ladies & gentlemen.

KillerCannabis
09-24-2002, 07:02 PM
Since I'm such a gorehound, you know what my vote was. But much like everyone else, I like a well balanced combo of all the above.

Peter Vincent
09-24-2002, 09:26 PM
A feeling of dread & suspense is what makes a GOOD horror movie! That's tops for me!

Gore is like icing on the cake...if done appropriately of course.

Jamm
09-24-2002, 09:47 PM
I went with "general violence".

Suspense would rank second, and both of these can and usually do contain blood, gore, and nudity.

I wonder who voted for "believability"? Is there such a thing in a horror film???

rhett
09-25-2002, 05:29 PM
I will go with suspsense, but unfortunately, there are not many films that deliver on thie quotient, so I usually go with just general stuff that varies from movie to movie. With the Friday the 13th movies, I expect gore, nudity and cheese, but with giallo titles I expect beautiful cinematography and a satisfying plot twist in the end. Movies are so different and diverse, it is tough to pigeon-hold them to a single criteria of evaluation. Cool poll though Max.

Max Yokell
09-25-2002, 06:59 PM
So no body else is going for the nude woman getting splattered in Gore.

for god's Sake man am I the only one that thinks Hollwood Chainsaw Hookers is exactly what they want in a horror movie? :D

I would like to be scared by a movie, it just hasn't happened to me since I reached an age that was in double digits. :)

Max

AceRimRat
09-25-2002, 10:47 PM
Max, I seconded your vote.

But which one of you optimists voted for a plot without holes?

:p