PDA

View Full Version : Spirited Away is gaining steam!!!

Jog
09-25-2002, 05:29 AM
Ah yes... Disney finally officially released the new Myazaki anime "Spirited Away" this weekend. Apparently, in the 20 or so theaters it opened in, it did fantastic business! And the IMDB's news update has reported today that "Spirited Away" is the single best reviewed film of the year thus far among mainstream and Internet reviewers (according to Rotten Tomatoes).

The New York Times is predicting an Oscar nomination (IMHO, almost certainly Best Animated Film at this point, and possibly Best Foreign Film if business stays this steady), and Disney says it's giving the film a "big push"... does this mean it'll even open within 50 miles of ME?!?! And will those legendary subtitled prints that have been drifting around follow?! The mind boggles!

So who's seen this? Who wants to see this? I DO!!!

Gnaghi
09-25-2002, 06:18 AM
yeah i umm downloaded it the other week... it was pretty sweet... never saw princess monoke or whatever that was called... i just love movies with weird fantasy creatures.

Paff
09-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Jog
So who's seen this? Who wants to see this? I DO!!!

I bought this a month or so ago. The Region 3 version.

It's good that it's getting such positive reviews, and is being built up slowly, ala Crouching Tiger. See, if this movie just opened without fanfare, it would die. Not that it isn't good (it's GREAT), but it might be a little too "japanese" for mainstream America. Actually, it still might be. It's gorgeous, but all the scenery is pagodas and stuff, the creatures are very Japanese style (like No-Face), and the bowing and stuff may go over a lot of peoples' heads.

I hope this does great, yet there's a distinct possibility that many may not embrace it.

Agent Z
02-27-2003, 01:56 PM
I am so glad that this is finally coming to region 1 (http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/moviefinder/products/2978103.html) ! BTW, does anybody have the version like mine shown below? I bought it off ebay. The seller listed it as "Region-0"...and the case cover reads 9 (WTH?!?!). This version is a single dvd kept inside a double-folded cardboard keeper.....which slides out the side of the cardboard case. The quality is pretty good on this release...and I don't notice any of the controversial "red tint" in the picture that a lot of people have brought up.

I'm definitely going to pick up the region 1 when it comes out April 15.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jstover07/_images/SA1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jstover07/_images/SA3.jpg

Paff
02-27-2003, 06:22 PM
booooooooooooooooooootleg

TobalRox
02-27-2003, 06:33 PM
This movie was out in a theater near me a good 6 months or so ago.

mcchrist
02-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I cought it in the theatre a few months back. This is a great flick, I don't like anime but I do like Miyazaki.

John
02-27-2003, 11:54 PM
I just hope the R1 disc is in DTS-ES as well. Otherwise, I may go for the import that Paff has.

Agent Z
03-24-2003, 08:53 AM
A review of the Region 1 release.........sounds very nice....:)

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/389/389486p1.html

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/spiritedaway_sm15.jpg

mcchrist
03-24-2003, 09:14 AM
:banana: Sounds good to me!

John
03-24-2003, 12:35 PM
I was pumped it won an Oscar. I can't wait for this to hit DVD.

Shannafey
03-24-2003, 02:30 PM
I am not a huge anime fan, and I didn't like the director's other stuff, so I never caught this, and can't give an honest opinion, but I have a hard time believing it was better than Lilo and Stitch or Ice Age. Haven't watch the Stallion film either, but my wife and kids like it. I guess that's what the oscars are about. Popularity doesn't give a movie an oscar, because like it or not, this movie wasn't seen by many, because it didn't get that wide a release.

mcchrist
03-24-2003, 05:56 PM
I liked Lilo and Stitch alot, in fact that was one of the better movies of last year... But Spirited Away takes it. You either like Miyazaki or you don't, I think his work is wonderful. Nothing beats Kiki's Delivery Service IMO.

Shannafey
03-24-2003, 07:11 PM
I have never seen Kiki's, but I will check it out.

moogong
03-24-2003, 08:20 PM
I have to see Kiki's Delivery Service...I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Paff
03-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Kiki's Delivery Service is a cute film. Wonderful artwork. But I don't know if it would be enough to turn a Miyazaki-hater into a fan. *I* liked it, but I pretty much enjoy everything he's done anyway.

The creators of Lilo & Stitch were very open in admitting that Miyazaki is their biggest influence. Probably not a coincedence that there's a "Kiki's Coffee House" in L&S

Is Spirited Away better than Lilo or Ice Age. Well, I haven't seen Ice Age, but Spirited Away is an amazing movie, with absolutely brilliant artwork and characterization. Remember, it was one of the best reviewed films of last year, and made Ebert's top ten list.

Not every great film can get that "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" word of mouth buzz. A lot of fantastic movies that might be mega-hits if released and marketed properly somehow slip out of sight.

Paff
03-27-2003, 02:59 AM
Spirited Away will be rereleased this weekend to 800 theaters!

I don't think it will be playing long, so get out and see it as soon as possible. You really want to see Miyazaki's artwork on the big screen.

Hopefully Disney will finally realize that they were sitting on a goldmine this whole time...

John
03-27-2003, 12:40 PM
I hope the DVD doesn't get delayed.

mcchrist
03-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I saw trailers (for the first time, since I never saw jack when it was released the first go-round) for this yesterday. Too little too late IMO, I'll go see it again though.

KillerCannabis
04-01-2003, 08:09 AM
I hadnt heard much about it until the Oscars and now I want to see it really bad. I'm usually not a fan of anime by any means, but this looks like it could kick some serious ass and thats what I'm all about.

Deaddevilman
04-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Spirited Away was the only animated film that was done by hand. All the others were computer generated and mass produced. Miyazaki goes through every frame himself making corrections by hand. That's taking pride in your work. If you have a mulitregion player you can get the disc from Japan, all of his movies have been released with English subtitles. He's also very anti war which was the reason he did not attend the oscars.

Paff
04-02-2003, 04:08 AM
Nothing personal Deaddevilman, but you're 0-for-2

Spirited Away DOES use computer animation, albeit quite sparingly.

And while I wouldn't doubt that Miyazaki is anti-war (it's pretty obvious from his films that he's pro-environment), but he's also working on his next film, and that's the supposed reason he didn't attend the Oscars.

Deaddevilman
04-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Paff, none taken. I have the advantage of living in Japan and working here in the entertainment industry for 14 years. It is true that the Studio Ghibli official English press release is "he was busy with other projects". However Miyazaki has stated in numerous Japanese publications that his anti-war stance and his concern for security were his reasons for not attending the ceremony. Yes, he is unfortunately pro-environment but that is also toned down in the dialogue translation of the US releases. You can also see his strong anti-war statements in Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime.

As far as the computer animation goes... Miyazaki completed the entire film by hand. There were several small corrections completed by computer. Whether or not these were initiated by Disney is still being discussed in the Japanese animation community.