PDA

View Full Version : Slasher Dracula?

rhett
09-26-2002, 01:14 AM
Hey guys, I am doing a presentation in my film class about the many faces of Dracula throughout the 1970's, and I was wondering if there were any Dracula films that appeared to have been influenced in some way by the slasher craze of the late 70's and perhaps even early 80's.

I have heard that John Badham's Dracula might contain slasher influences, but I haven't seen it to comment on it yet.

Can anyone help me out here?

gunner
09-26-2002, 01:59 AM
I'm not really sure of any slasher influenced dracula films. But you must include Son Of Dracula (1974) in your presentation. I've always been a huge fan of 70's music which is what first got me interested in this film since it stars Harry Nilsson & Ringo Starr. I recently found myself a bootleg of this rarely seen gem. I'm not going to say it's great but it's certainly one of the most unusual of the many faces of Dracula from the 70s.
Sorry I couldn't help in the slasher category. Good luck.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0072189#comment

KillerCannabis
09-26-2002, 09:12 PM
There are plenty of vampire flicks that appear to be influenced by slasher flicks, but I dont know about any specifically about Dracula. If any of those would help, I could name a few.

rhett
09-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that would help KC, name away! :)

Hammerfan
10-01-2002, 01:16 AM
About the only remotely "slasher influenced" Dracula feature I can think of would be Hammer's 1970 SCARS OF DRACULA. In this picture, Dracula uses weapons to slay some of the victims. It was definitely a more brutal depiction of the Count. But this might be too early to truly be "influenced" by the slasher genre. I have a copy of John Badham's 1979 DRACULA starring Frank Langella. This was based more on the hit stage play and in my opinion has a much more "stagey" feel to it than anything else. There are some images of gore in the opening 10 minutes but not sure if its enough to qualify as "slasher influenced". Hope this is helpful.

Cydeous
10-01-2002, 01:46 AM
How about <B>Innocent Blood</B>? I would also say that <B>Near Dark</B> is slasher inspired. I know, they're not Dracula movies. I'm assuming that you're talking about movies released not before 1980 since that's when slashers became their own sub-genre.