PDA

View Full Version : I haven't seen The Ring yet - So, is this a good deal?

jeffschmidt
09-29-2002, 01:15 AM
The whole trilogy for $40.00 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1565378975

I definitely want to see the Japanese version before I see the (undoubtedly inferior) upcoming US release.

I can get a copy of Ring 1 for just under $20.00, so for anyone who's seen the sequels, are they worth buying?

Thanks!

Wermode
09-29-2002, 03:46 AM
Not a bad deal...I think I got Ring and Ring 2 from this seller for $30. Decent quality DVDs, bootlegs to be sure (as discussed on another thread), but I sure don't regret my purchase.

Biggest problem with Ring is viewer expectation; everybody expects to soil their laundry from fear on first viewing, but it is a kind of subtle, building sort of dread, really. I watched it twice before I really appreciated it; now I love it more and more each time, probably because I'm more familiar and sypathetic toward the characters (especially Reiko, played by the uber-lovely Nanako Matsushima).

DVD Connoisseur
09-29-2002, 01:28 PM
Although I really enjoyed the original Ring, I found Ring 2 to be disappointing. Haven't seen Ring 0 yet....

KillerCannabis
09-29-2002, 08:15 PM
I have bootleg DVDs of the first two films and have been lagging on watching them, but tonight seems like as good a night as any. I hope I can score Ring 0 too.

Paff
09-29-2002, 11:47 PM
I watched a bootleg DVD of Ring last night. Not bad, but like Wermode said, it's not the scare-a-palooza it's been made out to be, at least not the first time through.
The quality of the DVD is not good at all, so I might be inclined to avoid spending the extra $$$ on the whole trilogy, especially if the sequels aren't as good.