PDA

View Full Version : Classic Hammer and AIP Qs

Paff
10-03-2002, 12:33 AM
OK you old-school classic lovers, how bout some advice on a few Hammer and AIP titles?

Some of my local used laserdisc stores recently got some old Hammer and AIP movies. Since they're rare, I usually go with a "buy first ask questions later" attitude. I bought the following titles:
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Dracula A.D. 1972

Any opinions on those movies?

I also have a chance to buy
Evil of Frankenstein
The Premature Burial/Tales of Terror

but I gotta wait for another paycheck. Should I add those classics to my collection too?

mutleyhyde
10-03-2002, 06:17 AM
Dracula A.D. 1972 + Caroline Munro = http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif
Also, the flashback sequence's death scene rules, one of my most favorite Dracula deaths. I don't remember much of the rest of the movie, but hey, what's not to love? Funky '70s post-mod London and one of my favorite Hammer honies... good score Paff. I have no clue about the OAR of the film or the LD though.

As for the Frankenstein's, I'd personally want them all, but it has been so long since I've watched these, they all jumble together in my memory now. I'd be leery of commenting on the merits of them individually.

As for the AIPs, what's not to love? '60s Roger Corman, Edgar Allan Poe stories, Vincent Price, Hazel Court, Peter Lorre, Basil Rathbone, the writing talents of Richard Matheson and Twilight Zone trooper Charles Beaumont... damn you Paff! Give those to meeeeee!!!!! ;)

Good haul man - I say pick up the other two. :)

marioscido
10-03-2002, 07:32 AM
It's actually "Masque of the Red Death" and "The Premature Burial" which are on the same disc. "Tales of Terror" is on its own.

I bought the former a couple of weeks ago, it was something like $14 (in Canadian funds, that's $9 yankee dollars), thinking that I would love "Masque" and not like "Burial" so much. I was wrong! They are both wonderful. "Masque" is deliriously campy (of course, but the sets...) and "Burial" is almost picturesque (in that 60s Gothic sort of way). What is stunning about "Burial" is its somewhat ambiguous tone.

I guess I was expecting to appreciate these films, but they turned out to be a lot more interesting, especially "Burial."

I was also shocked to learn that "Masque" was shot by Nicolas Roeg. Also, I liked Ray Milland in "Burial"; he brings a different feel to the film than the regular Price antics.

Paff
10-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Yeah Hyde, it's pretty much a done deal that I'm buying all the discs anyway. I was only inquiring in case any of the movies absolutely suck and I should avoid them at all costs, but that was pretty unlikely.

Really, the only one I'm on the fence about is Evil of Frankenstein, which I've heard referred to as one of the "lesser" Hammer Frankensteins. Even then, how bad can it be if Peter Cushing is in it?

And Mario, Premature Burial and Tales of Terror are indeed on the same disc, believe it or not. Actually, I've seen the Premature Burial/Masque of Red Death double feature on laserdisc, but that one's pan-and-scan. The PB/TOT double dip LD is widescreen.
But since you recommend PB so highly, I'll grab the disc if it's still there. I was a little unsure about that title since Vincent Price isn't in it.

Paff
10-03-2002, 06:12 PM
Here's a link to an old auction for the Premature Burial/Tales of Terror Laserdisc:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1563450574

marioscido
10-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Paff,

My "Masque/Burial" disk is the new MGM 'Midnight Movies' release. It was released a couple of weeks ago and it is DEFINITELY NOT pan and scan. I don't buy p&s discs.

The MGM release is a "flipper" with wonderful 2.35:1 transfers for both films. Buy what you need to buy; I'm just letting you know that this new MGM double bill looks quite good.

See the MGM 'Midnight Movies" website for more info: http://www.mgm.com/midnitemovies/

Paff
10-03-2002, 09:01 PM
Ahhhh.....i see

You're talking about DVDs and I meant Laserdiscs

I didn't know they did a Premature Burial/Masque of the Red Death double DVD. I knew those two movies were on a P&S Laser though.

I'll adjust my above posts, since you don't even want to be associated with pan-and-scan movies. (Can't say I blame you either)

marioscido
10-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Oops! Sorry Paff about the lack of awareness on my part. I read right over your LD reference. I'm just getting used to the acronyms and digital lingo used on this Forum. Also, laserdiscs are not really a part of my cinematic universe, so I instinctively think dvd. Thanks.

mutleyhyde
10-03-2002, 09:27 PM
I, unfortunately, knew right away you were talking about lasers Paff, and not only because you mentioned laserdisc stores, but because Dracula A.D. 1972 isn't out on dvd yet. :( :confused: :(

marioscido
10-03-2002, 09:39 PM
Is that the one where Dracula dies impaled on the spokes of a broken wheel? I grew up with a book by Alan G. Frank, called "Horror Movies," and spent many hours reading it and looking at the pictures. I think it was published in the mid-seventies. Anyway, this book had a picture from that death scene, which has remained burned in my consciousness. But I never saw the film for some reason. :(

Yowie
10-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Good buy, those Hammers. The Dracula is my favorite of those two, are they Warner titles and how's the quality ?. But why buy LaserDisc anyway, (unless you're a diehard collector) when the 3 Corman ones are all out on great looking DVDs. I like LDs, but I'm so much into DVD now I don't bother with that other format anymore. It'd have to be something really special and rare before I'll buy it. I made the mistake of buying "Pit & The Pendulum"/"House Of Usher" right before I switced to DVD, now they're just collecting dust. Maybe I'm too lazy, but LDs are (IMO) just about the most unhandy invention to place a movie on. -Especially if the player doesn't change sides automatically. (Mine does, BTW.) Then again, I never had a problem with vinyl LPs.:rolleyes: O.k., enough silly rambling.

Paff
10-03-2002, 11:42 PM
Dracula AD 1972 BEGINS with Drac getting impaled on the wagon wheel, thus I'm guessing it's a previous film. (even has the voice-over "Previously on Dracula...").

As to why buy LDs? I dunno. Maybe I AM a diehard collector. I do like the nice LD gatefold artwork you get, and the transfers are pretty damn good. I got that House of Usher/Pit and the Pendulum double disc too, and I think it's a nice addition to the collection (OK, those films weren't on DVD when I bought 'em). And believe me, they're NOT expensive. Finally, I have one of the best LD Players made, and a good Laserdisc doesn't look that much different than the DVDs.

mutleyhyde
10-04-2002, 08:32 AM
Hmmmm... that's an odd voice over Paff. I thought that scene was only in A.D. 72, as a flashback sequence. Man, I'm getting rusty on my Hammer lore. I could swear that was the case though. I may have to look that up.

Johnny Alucard
10-04-2002, 05:46 PM
Paff
Those are all good buys. Frankenstein Must be Destroyed is amongst the best of the series imho. The Evil of Frankenstein is a lesser Hammer but still well worth your time if you enjoy Hammer movies.
I have a question about the Dracula A.D. 72 Laserdisc is this the Japanese import? I was really into Laserdisc and kept up on the new Domestic releases and I got all the Hammer Films on LD but I don't remember this one being released in the U.S.

Paff
10-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Yes, Drac AD72 is the Japanese LD. So is Frank Must Be Destroyed, even though I think that one came out domestically on LD too.

Both are full frame unfortunately. FMBD pulls the same "tease" as Horror of Dracula - the opening credits are widescreen, then it goes full frame after that. Ugh.

I'll probably get Evil o Frankenstein next week if it's still there. It's at a used LD shop (yes, they still have one here), and someone sold a whole boatload of Hammer LDs. Luckily I already had Brides of Dracula and Nightmare/Kiss of the Vampire or I might have had to buy them too.

Scorpio
10-06-2002, 06:25 AM
Tales of Terror is also out on DVD by MGM. Some may not see it as it was released before the Midnight Movies moniker and as such was never truly a part of that series.

Johnny Alucard
10-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed was released domestically on LD and it was in Widescreen too. I have it. It was released in the last days of LD by Image(from Warner Bros.) along with Curse of Frankenstein and Dracula Has Risen From the Grave also both in Widescreen. They are only average transfers though but they will have to do until the DVD's come out. Well Curse just came out so only 2 more needed here :)

Yowie
10-09-2002, 02:58 PM
"Risen..." in widescreen, wow !. I'd love to see it, what's the ratio, BTW ?.

Johnny Alucard
10-09-2002, 07:19 PM
The Ratio on Risen is 1.85 which appears to be correct as I did not notice much top and bottom cropping compared to the VHS Version. Its the best version I have but I know the DVD would be better..hint hint Warners :cry:

maybrick
10-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Paff
Dracula AD 1972 BEGINS with Drac getting impaled on the wagon wheel, thus I'm guessing it's a previous film. (even has the voice-over "Previously on Dracula...").

Actually, Mutleyhide is right Paff. The wheel impalement flashback is only at the beginning of Dracula AD 1972 and not the end of the previous hammer Dracula film. How do I know this? It's because that scene has Peter Cushing in it and it's well known among us hammer die-hards that Dracula AD 1972 is his first appearance in a Hammer Dracula since HORROR OF DRACULA (BRIDES OF DRACULA notwithstanding) some 14 years earlier.

Great films anyway! I find The Evil of Frankenstein very entertaining no matter what others may say. The makeup of the creature is subpar this time around and it's head looks made of cardboard, but the plotline has a great sense of humour in many ways. I say check it out!

Paff
10-09-2002, 11:04 PM
Really? Well, I'll take your word for it, at least until I see every Hammer Dracula film.

It sure seemed like a sudden beginning to the film, and looked a lot like the end of a previous one (similar to the way Dracula Prince of Darkness opens with the finale of Horror of Dracula).

Oh well...it's not like watching every Hammer Dracula movie is a BAD thing to have to do....

mac-hammer-fan
10-12-2002, 09:28 AM
I hope that Warners Hammer DVDs will sell well so that we can see the rest of the Hammer Productions on DVD next year. Fingers crossed they will be uncut.
Warner:
DRACULA A.D. 1972
DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED
TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA
(especially Taste was heavily mutilated on VHS!)
Universal MCA:
BRIDES OF DRACULA
CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1962)
EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN
Columbia:
THE GORGON
Paramount:
THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH
MGM?
COUNTESS DRACULA (available in PAL from Carlton)
HANDS OF THE RIPPER
TWINS OF EVIL (available in PAL from Carlton)
VAMPIRE CIRCUS (available in PAL from Carlton)

One of my most wanted Hammer titles is TWO FACES OF DR. JECKYLL.
AIP owns the rights. Who will release it on DVD?

:cry:

mcchrist
10-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Man, I haven't seen The Gorgon in years. That was a mighty cool flick, I'd buy it on DVD in an instant!

Johnny Alucard
10-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Columbia released a Pan and Scan and extremely washed out version of "Two Faces of Dr. Jeckyll" on VHS only so I assume they still have the rights. I believe somehow this movie ended up with two version when it was originally released to theaters one from Columbia called "Two Faces of Dr. Jeckyll" and another from AIP titled "House of Fright".