PDA

View Full Version : Jason X DVD documentary

DVD Zombie
10-03-2002, 02:33 AM
As a lifelong fan of ol hockey mask, I felt that I had to at least rent Jason X. Well that was a waste of 3 bucks. A waste, cause I should've just bought it instead. Anyone that grew up with the Friday flicks will probably want to add it to thier collection for the 30 minute documentary on the history of Jason Voorhees. Instead of the usual fluff, New Line has included an Anchor Bay quality piece that covers the entire series. It's worth the purchase price all by it's self.

~Zombie

Wez4555
10-03-2002, 04:16 AM
hot damn! not i want this even more. next tueday is so far away!

rhett
10-03-2002, 08:26 AM
I can't wait for this baby...but I have to buy it from the US since Alliance botches their New Line releases by including bilingual garbage all over the artwork.

DefJeff
10-03-2002, 09:01 AM
this is good news
i cant wait to pick this up

Joni Backman
10-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by rhett
I can't wait for this baby...but I have to buy it from the US since Alliance botches their New Line releases by including bilingual garbage all over the artwork.

I've ordered all my R1 dvds from Canada and recently also Paramount (Friday the 13th pts.7 & 8, My Bloody Valentine) has ruined their covers with all those French titles etc.

Well, at least I prefer those covers over Finnish ones. Those don't usually include original (English-) title on frontcover at all.

Here's an example for those who haven' seen 'em:

KillerCannabis
10-03-2002, 09:40 PM
I cant wait for this motherfucker. Jason X kicked ass and I'm a huge fan of the F13th series. So much so that I'll even get part 9 just to complete my collection. 10/8 seems so far away right now.

Shannafey
10-03-2002, 10:47 PM
Don't forget that in the Blade 2 dvd, there's a coupon for $5 off when you buy Jason X, too. You need receipts and proofs from each.

Comedian
10-04-2002, 12:18 AM
Great flick but as far as I know the R1 features just the R-rating-Cut. The spanish DVD presents the flick in its uncut glory.

rhett
10-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Comedian
Great flick but as far as I know the R1 features just the R-rating-Cut. The spanish DVD presents the flick in its uncut glory. The uncut print features a whopping 2 seconds more footage, not really enough to make me opt for a shitty transfer and a bare-bones disc. ;)

zombi3
10-04-2002, 03:46 AM
I would imagine that the print submitted to the MPAA was on film, after all the digital post-production was complete. Now wouldn't it make sense that the cuts imposed by the MPAA were done on theatrical release prints and that the direct digital-to-dvd transfer would present the film intact? Maybe the extra second or two was not enough to warrant an "unrated director's cut" because noone would really notice the difference. Just a theory. :rolleyes:

K'
10-04-2002, 11:35 AM
The uncut print features a whopping 2 seconds more footage, not really enough to make me opt for a shitty transfer and a bare-bones disc. ;) The transfer on the spanish dvd is top notch, and there are also some nice extras: cast interviews (7 min., the Kane Hodder interview rocks!), behind the scenes (17 min.), cinema trailer and tv spots (not as loaded as the rc1, but far from bare bones). The only downside of the disc is, that the english track is dolby surround only.

Comedian
10-04-2002, 04:10 PM
The uncut print features a whopping 2 seconds more footage, not really enough to make me opt for a shitty transfer and a bare-bones disc. ;)

The transfer is great as they usually are with Columbia.

The following scenes were slightly trimmed:

01. Dr. Wimmer's spearing death was slightly trimmed of bloodflow.

02. A scene featuring a space warrior getting skewered by a screw which spins around and around was slightly shortened.

03. The scene of the Marine crawling after being cut in half was edited.

04. A short scene was cut featuring a female cadet posing with an immobile Jason.

It's your choice. If you get lucky with a cut movie then go for it. I rather see it as it was intended to be seen.

zombi3
10-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Comedian

It's your choice. If you get lucky with a cut movie then go for it. I rather see it as it was intended to be seen.

I agree, but for those of us without the luxury of a region-free player, this version will have to do. :( Though I don't understand why New Line would release JGTH unrated and not do the same with their "Platinum" edition of JX.

rxfiend
10-05-2002, 02:47 AM
who knows, maybe the R1 dvd will be uncut (but still be listed as R). it could easily happen as i would think New LIne would use the same master as they did for the other dvd releases.

gunner
10-09-2002, 02:14 AM
Great documentary! Loved the part about the 'Cropsy Maniac' campfire legend. I was suprised to see Joe Bob Briggs and the American Movie duo Mark Borchardt & Mike Schank provide comments. But, I was equally surprised that there was no interviews with some of the earlier Friday sequel directors like Steve Miner and Joseph Zito. It was very entertaining though. It really makes me crave uncut, special editions of all of the Friday movies even more.

rhett
10-09-2002, 03:44 AM
I eat my words, sorry guys. :nervous:

I remember reading that only trailers would be on the disc. By shitty transfer I was referring to both audio and video, which I am sure do not live up to New Line's disc at all.

How would some of you classify Valentine, in regards to "seeing it the way it was meant to be seen"? MORE gore was cut out than even the MPAA recommended, which therefore should mean that the version we have now of Valentine is theorhetically the way it was intended to be seen. But at the same time I imagine everyone (myself included) would opt for the uncut version over the theatrical cut. So I think, in the case of most uncut horror prints, it is not about seeing the film as it was intended to be seen, but more about seeing the most violence or questionable material possible.

BloodMan
10-09-2002, 11:08 PM
I bought Jason X yesterday and didn't expect much. If it sucked, I could have found someone else to give it to... or sell it to.
Wow!! That flick rocks!!!
The documentary was awesome!!

That Janessa chick was nice too!!

cheers!!!
:) :) :) :)

Comedian
10-10-2002, 12:19 AM
I eat my words, sorry guys. :nervous:

I remember reading that only trailers would be on the disc. By shitty transfer I was referring to both audio and video, which I am sure do not live up to New Line's disc at all.

The spanish DVD is from Columbia. I'm pretty sure you know how good the quality standards of Columbia are. Jason X lives up to them!

How would some of you classify Valentine, in regards to "seeing it the way it was meant to be seen"? MORE gore was cut out than even the MPAA recommended, which therefore should mean that the version we have now of Valentine is theorhetically the way it was intended to be seen. But at the same time I imagine everyone (myself included) would opt for the uncut version over the theatrical cut. So I think, in the case of most uncut horror prints, it is not about seeing the film as it was intended to be seen, but more about seeing the most violence or questionable material possible.

But there is a slight difference. Valentine is available just in the present form. Therefore one have to watch this somewhat butchered version. But if there would be a Director's Cut somewhere out in the whole wide world I would opt for this version. Unfortunately we don't have this choice. With Jason X this choice is present!

Crazy Ralph
10-10-2002, 06:25 AM
I probably should have come here first because I just posted a thread about this on the General Forum.....

Anyway, I thought "The Many Lives of Jason Voorhees" documentary sucked ass. I guess because New Line didn't have any rights to the first 8 they just showed pictures from magazines and newspaper clippings. BS I say.

As far as I'm concerned, the series was ruined by "trying to make it different" (JGTH & JX). Well it sucks and I don't need these yahoos to tell me who Jason is and why he kills people. Does anybody who buys this disc need that? I doubt it.

It was a waste of 30 minutes. The movie itself was far from bad, but oh how I long for the Camp Counsellor Carnage from years gone by.

DefJeff
10-10-2002, 06:38 AM
ha, well from the first guys post i thought it was gonna be something amazing which it wasnt, but it definitally didnt suck.. it was a nice feature.

your right about the newspaper clippings and shit, i wouldve loved to see acutal shots from the movies, that wouldve really added to it

DVD Zombie
10-10-2002, 09:07 AM
I liked the usage of newspaper clippings and stuff. I mean, how many of us need to see clips from the films. If I want that, I'll throw in one of the flicks and just watch it. It was cool seeing all the fake articles about Crystal Lake, and the interviews were great. The movie its self was a HUGE surprise to me, since I was expecting total garbage, and I ended up loving every second of it.

~Zombie

indiephantom
10-10-2002, 09:38 AM
the documentary was terrific. I actually watched it first. I wanted it to be longer...best thing on horror i've seen since AMERICAN NIGHTMARE...is that coming on DVD? It seems there was a recent thread about that?

Anyway, Jason X is terrific fun.:glasses: :fire:

Shannafey
10-11-2002, 03:08 AM
I finally watched the documentary, and the dvd purchase was worth it for that doc alone, but having bought it blindly, I also saw the film for the first time, and I have to say, it was damn entertaining!!

Agent Z
10-15-2002, 12:05 PM
I'm still waiting for the Kay-Em 14 Spin-Off movie(s)....

"I Love Myself Today" music video
from JASON X (http://www.lrfconline.com/musicvideos/JasonX-KayEm14-LoveMyselfToday-little.wmv)

http://www.lrfconline.com/jxgallery/jx012.jpg

AceRimRat
10-16-2002, 12:04 AM
I liked JX and I don't mind the lack of extra gore - even the guys on the commentary said they made about three little cuts. If they don't care, I'm not going to worry about it. (The commentary, by the way, is decent, at least the first half. The commentary on JGTH is much better.)

I liked the doc, but I don't know that it's the be-all, end-all of Jason documentaries - it is very heavy on the New Line stuff, but it does cover a good amount of the first eight. I think it's well worth having, but not worth buying the disc for if you hate JX or something.

sutter cane
10-16-2002, 02:10 AM
Does anyone know what the song is that is played during the JASON X trailer
I`ve heard it before but cannot remember what it is

gunner
10-16-2002, 02:23 AM
Come on, Nobody else like hearing Joe Bob Briggs talkin' his shit. Brought back great memories for me. I can't wait to hear his commentary on the upcoming millennium edition of I Spit On Your Grave.

Agent Z
10-16-2002, 02:47 AM
Does anyone know what the song is that is played during the JASON X trailer

"Bodies" by Drowning Pool

"Bodies" video download (ftp://ftp.winduplist.com/pub/dp/video/bodiesdwn.rm)

McBride_01
10-16-2002, 04:55 AM
I also can't wait for the Joe Bob commentary on the I Spit disc.

I hated Jason X and was going to skip this disc. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a cheap or used copy...

Fistfuck
10-17-2002, 06:08 AM
How cute is Lisa Ryder as Kay-Em? I wish I had an android like her.

And I think I want to marry Lexa Doig.