PDA

View Full Version : I thought Battle Royale was Bloody and over the top?

KillerQ
10-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Is it?

This article makes it sound like a disney flick:

http://www.topspins.net/battleroyale.html

I want it -- but not it it's this bad..

"Apart from a very funny combat training video presented by a (fit) helium voiced J-Pop chick Battle Royale is a bit short on satirical gimmickery, and the violence isn't extreme either. Gore is limited to redspots seeping through clothing and a few CGI blood spurts..."

Matt

SaviniFan
10-03-2002, 09:27 PM
I just seen this movie for the first time recently and yes, it isn't that gory. But don't let that stop you from seeing it as it is an extremely kick ass movie.

KillerCannabis
10-03-2002, 10:38 PM
BR is a seriously kick ass movie. Nothing should stop you from seeing this flick. It's one of my favorites of all time. I found there to be enough gore to keep me satisifed and even if you arent, its still a brutal movie. See it at all costs.

Werner Von Wallenrod
10-04-2002, 12:17 AM
Eh. It was ok. Kinda dumb at spots, and not up to the hype this movie's been getting on these boards. But, then, a bunch of movies seem to get hyped as being super amazing, or close to it, on these boards, and turn out to be far worse than this one. :D

dvdasia62
10-04-2002, 01:21 AM
I thought it was silly and over the top also, even corny in spots, but judge for yourself. In the end, your the best critic you know. :)

Atmims
10-04-2002, 04:22 AM
I though Battle Royale was pretty good til about the last 30 minutes then it got corny. Versus was ultra hyped up and it turned out to be really shitty in my opinion. I didn't even finish watching it it was so boring. Then again that might be because I had an ultra shitty bootleg copy.
Adrian

KillerQ
10-04-2002, 04:55 AM
Ok, well,

I just ordered a GREAT dvd of it -- i hope i like it... If i don't, get your lists ready, because i'll be trading it...

Thanks,

Matt

Gnaghi
10-04-2002, 05:07 AM
liked it a whole lot more than versus

Comedian
10-04-2002, 04:16 PM
BR is a great flick but not something for gorehounds who just want to see the red stuff spilled. It has its bloody moments but is far more a mindblowing experience which asks you as the viewer the same question as it does to its young protagonists: Could you kill your best friend?

BR was great in that it depicted how people would react under such grim circumstances.

sefskillz
10-04-2002, 05:33 PM
I thought it was fantastic for the first hour or so, then it slowly just turns into a typical action flick for the last bit, at least up to the conclusion. I did enjoy it quite a bit though, I think its worth owning.

BloodMan
10-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Hey Matt
Battle Royale is a perdy damn good flick. The last little bit is kinda cheesy, but it is still a good movie. There is some pretty gorey bits and pieces. And characters you actually kinda feel for... even more so if and when they bite the bullet (or axe, knife, etc...)
Cheers!!
:) :) :) :)

Nicholas R

DeepDownTraumaHound
10-05-2002, 11:20 PM
not very "gory" but violent. and great.

dwatts
10-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Yep – I found this movie only „so-so“. I never thought it was that violent (people get shot and hit with arrows) and the story just didn’t hold up very well. Which is a shame, because the opening five minutes are amazing. If you can rent this – do that. It’s not really worth a buy. Apparently there is a "Special Edition" out in the UK now, where they added CGI blood - God help us.

mcchrist
10-07-2002, 02:21 AM
This movie kicks ass! Don't worry about the review, yes its not as gory as you might expect, but come one this movie is VIOLENT and well made too, reminiscent of something maybe Kubrick would have done.

McBride_01
10-13-2002, 04:37 AM
I enjoyed it. :)