PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Day DVD

razorbackattack
10-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Does anybody know if this is shipping yet? Release date was October 1st, but my copy still hasn't shipped and nobody seems to have it in stock yet. I don't buy DVD's at Best Buy, has anybody seen this in their stores yet? I wonder if Troma has delayed this...

ScaryMovieFreak
10-06-2002, 02:41 AM
I went to Best Buy and a few more stores and haven't yet found a copy.

KillerCannabis
10-08-2002, 11:44 AM
I saw an ad for this in the new Fango...... and it looked pretty lame. Is it even worth watching?

Joel Groce
10-09-2002, 04:43 AM
As a huge fan of the "classic" slashers, I can truthfully say you will not be missing much to leave this one on the shelf - I rented it with high hopes that it would be watchable and was just let down - save a few cheesy laughs. Same with "Return to Horror High"

rhett
10-09-2002, 09:06 AM
It actually isn't bad...the cheese factor is very high, and the film is very campy, so if you enjoy those qualities in your 80's slashers you should find a place for this one. This is an interesting slasher in that it was one of the only slasher's to try and rip off the original FRIDAY THE 13TH. Most others just took the Jason character and placed him in a backwoods camp. The starting and ending of this movie are good, the middle lags considerably (but does contain Linnea Quigley), so it is definitely not a total loss.

razorbackattack
10-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Well, considering I just bought SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE PART 2 on DVD(yep, the one with that dumb driller-killer guy acting like Elvis) and liked it, I doubt I'll have a problem with GRADUATION DAY! I even liked EVIL LAUGH, which was pretty terrible! There's just something about 80's horror/slashers that I love, even when the film is kinda stupid sometimes. It's like those Something Weird video type of movies, most of them aren't very good, but for some reason you watch them anyway.

rhett
10-09-2002, 06:18 PM
This was actually one of the bigger slashers of its day. Columbia bought the theatrical distribution rights to it and pushed it fairly good.

razorbackattack
10-11-2002, 06:31 PM
My copy finally shipped! Now Troma needs to get their hands on more 80's slasher films. Does anybody know if they own the rights to any others? I'd love to see The Dorm That Dripped Blood come out. I know there's a PAL version, but I don't have a region free player and I heard that version is cut.

razorbackattack
10-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Finally got and watched the DVD of Graduation Day. Picture quality is almost-VHS worthy, but it's still cool to have this on DVD. No trailer for the movie though, that sucks, I really wanted to see it. Has a short interview with Linnea Quigley, which wasn't very well done and kind of stupid, but hey, it's Troma!

MISFITZ
10-17-2002, 08:17 PM
I think razorbackattack's comment of, "hey, it's Troma", sums it up perfectly. I mean, at this point, you should expect what you'd expect from Troma.

I'm also on the side that just finds this as an '80's slasher with cheese and camp." I may snag this film myself! ahaha!

WesReviews
01-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Okay, i'm confused...I've seen two different versions of this DVD's cover artwork online. One uses the "axe/shattered girl" image from the VHS and original one-sheets. The other is a really, really crappy photo-shop job. Which one is the real DVD artwork? Is the cover reversible?

razorbackattack
01-18-2003, 05:50 PM
here's the art!

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/447236h.jpg

rhett
01-18-2003, 07:15 PM
That cover is a little active...but still kind of cool.

the.wicked.one
01-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Love the cover but I've never seen the film. Now I want it.

Hellbilly
01-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Is the director's cut the same we've seen on the old Columbia tape release?

BlazingMagnum
01-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Man - this is one bad film. The killer's overacting is just the worst!
Avoid - at all costs. Linnea Q doesn't even look particularly good.

Richard Anthony
05-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Is the Troma DVD a longer cut of the film then the old Columbia and Goodtimes VHS tapes? What are some of the new scenes on the DVD, and how much longer is the film?

STREET TRASH
05-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Blegh. I get chills thinking about that uber-cheesy song in the opening - "...everybody! wants to be the winner, the winner!!!"

Not a very good slasher from what I remember - and I enjoy some real bottom-of-the-barrel junk.

RyanPC
05-16-2003, 05:44 AM
I loved this film... I watched it a lot when I was younger and I need this DVD! :D

"...Ah, the power of cheese!"

chrishicks
05-17-2003, 04:43 AM
it's pretty cheap, too.:banana:

WesReviews
02-07-2004, 11:21 PM
I've seen two different versions of the cover art online. One is much like the old theatrical poster with the axe breaking through the glass, with the girl's face reflected (which has been posted in this thread) and the other looks really, really cheap-looking. I seem to remember it having a girl on the front with large dark circles around her eyes or something.

For those of you who have it, which is the correct cover art? And why are there two different versions of the cover online?

Also, reading through some past Graduation Day threads, I noticed that the early word on the DVD was that it was supposed to be a double feature. Anyone know what the other movie to be included on the DVD was supposed to be? Has it been released since?

I'm also curious about why Columbia gave up this film to Troma. I hope they don't give up Happy Birthday to Me to them. But I guess, either way, it's likely we'll get a fullscreen-only transfer of Birthday. :(

wago70
02-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Yes, there's nothing new added to the film. If anything, the picture on the old VHS is better than this lame DVD. The cover is an altered version of the original One-sheet poster which I am a proud owner of. I hate Troma's DVD treatment of this film and Argento's Stendahl Syndrome.

shift
02-10-2004, 10:08 PM
I saw a shit load of these at my local Frys for 14.99

Tuzotonic
06-09-2004, 03:42 AM
I admit to buying the DVD and actually liked this movie except for the annoying music scenes. However I would not recommend paying $17.99 like I did buying it off of Amazon.com.

"Everybody wants to be the winner... the winner." Wow what a cheesy way to begin a movie.

kiddvideo
12-11-2005, 02:19 AM
I just got a copy at Walmart for a shocking 4.96 Canadian. It is a Legacy dub, a la the Sleepaway Camp discs they did. The cover are is better than the Troma version, all mentions of Troma and Lylod Kaufman are removed. And from what a read, the picture quality can't be worse than the Troma version either, so for 4.96 you can't beat it.

Katatonia
12-11-2005, 12:52 PM
I just got a copy at Walmart for a shocking 4.96 Canadian. It is a Legacy dub, a la the Sleepaway Camp discs they did. The cover are is better than the Troma version, all mentions of Troma and Lylod Kaufman are removed. And from what a read, the picture quality can't be worse than the Troma version either, so for 4.96 you can't beat it.

Probably yet another bootleg release from Legacy. The Troma DVD actually has a decent fullscreen transfer, or at least it appears that it came from a film print.

old-boo-radley
12-11-2005, 02:57 PM

Where did you find it? Was it in the bargain bin or on a shelf, etc? I definitely want to look for this!

kiddvideo
12-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Where did you find it? Was it in the bargain bin or on a shelf, etc? I definitely want to look for this!

It was on one of their four sided black metal racks, where the keep their other budget titles, if you see the bootleg Sleepaway Camp movies it should be near by. The transfer was actually pretty good, I was suprised. All and all a good deal for 5 bucks.

WesReviews
12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Troma's DVD of Graduation Day has one of the single worst transfers I've ever watched. Not a whole lot better than your average eBay pickup VHS.

Katatonia
12-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Troma's DVD of Graduation Day has one of the single worst transfers I've ever watched. Not a whole lot better than your average eBay pickup VHS.

It really doesn't look all that bad to me. Far from perfect, but compared to the majority of Troma DVD titles that I've seen, it actually has a good transfer...by Troma standards.

old-boo-radley
12-12-2005, 03:37 AM
It was on one of their four sided black metal racks, where the keep their other budget titles, if you see the bootleg Sleepaway Camp movies it should be near by. The transfer was actually pretty good, I was suprised. All and all a good deal for 5 bucks.

Thanks, I'll take a peak. The SC movies aren't there now, but they were before. I hope they got this as I want to see it, but don't think it'll be worth any more than 5 bucks.

indiephantom
12-12-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm passing on it simply because the Troma DVD of "Stendhal" was an abomination, and any comparisons to that don't sit well with me. :bs: