PDA

View Full Version : Princess Blade

Paff
10-08-2002, 02:05 AM
This past weekend was the 3rd annual San Diego Asian Film Festival (http://www.sdaff.org)

Unfortunately, it's not as much fun as it could be (even with Michelle Krusiec in attendance), since the aim of the festival is to AVOID typical Asian stereotypes in film. In other words, it's all romantic comedies, dramas, and coming-of-age stories made by Asian filmmakers. Forget any nasty Asian horror, or wild kung-fu, or amazing Hong Kong action.

Still, they did sneak in a good Japanese swordplay film, The Princess Blade (Shukayukihime). Really good fight scenes in this one. It slows down way too much in the middle, and it looks like some of the backstory of the graphic novel was omitted, but it's a gorgeous film.

I doubt it'll show up on movie screens anywhere, but if you can find it on video somewhere, it's pretty damned good.

aoiookami
10-09-2002, 01:15 AM
apparently ADV (an anime distributor) has aquired this and will be releasing it on r1 sometime. I've also heard alot of mixed reviews for this movie, so I'm still not sure if I'll get it or not.... looks really cool, but I hate movies that get really boring in the middle.

KillerCannabis
10-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Sounds interesting. I may have to pick itup. Whats the worst that could happen? It sucks so I return it.

Mr.Vengance
10-09-2002, 07:36 PM
Wait for that r1 version and then just rent it. It's not worth buying over something else. I got the r2 PAL disc by Tartan on a friends recommendation and boy was I let down. It wasn't horrible and I walked away from it not feeling robbed of 90 minutes of my life or anything but I would've much rather gotten something else. The storyline has more holes in it than a piece of swiss cheese. The action isn't good enough to carry the weak story either. Be warned.

Paff
10-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Well, I don't think it was THAT bad. The storyline was a little weak though, and I think it's because they probably left out some details from the original Manga.

I thought the action scenes were great though, and this is coming from someone who usually hates swordplay movies. Of course, maybe it was seeing it on the big screen that made it so much better. Martial arts never transfer to small screens very well.

Bods
10-10-2002, 05:50 AM
I thought the movie was pretty good all in all. It never looked like giving the original Shurayuki Hime a run for it's money (not that it bares much of a resemblance anyway) but I don't regret buying it.

I felt the fight scenes could've been better, but watching ultra-cute Yumiko Shaku in action made up for the shortcomings.

Agent Z
01-07-2004, 10:30 AM
http://www.theprincessblade.com/#

I just watched this for the second time and it has a way of growing on me. The plot is so by-the-numbers, but it is done so well, that I still found myself caring for the characters. I missed seeing this last year at Madstone by days :( and I wish I could have watched this up on the big screen, as I love the music and cinematography. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel.

Blade
01-07-2004, 05:36 PM
I've only once seen it on the small screen, but I think it was pretty boring. Like everybody says, it is sooo slow in the middle, and there is actually really little action in it. The opening is pretty good, but the rest of the actionscene's aren't anything special, which leaves very little else of any interest...

Deaddevilman
01-08-2004, 09:23 AM
The PR for Princess Blade is much better then the movie. They claim to have all these up and coming on the verge of superstardom actors but I have never heard of them. I even asked my wife and her response was who the hell are these people. Pick up Azumi if you want a good chick sword play flick.

chi
01-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Michelle Krusiec

http://www.celebritymoviearchive.com/tour/movie.php/3514

Had nothing else to add to this thread.

Paff
01-10-2004, 02:49 AM
I don't think links to naked photos of Michelle Krusiec belong in a thread about Princess Blade. That said, Chi, I just have to tell you, THANK YOU!

Anyway, it was fun seeing this thread resurrected, especially seeing my somewhat negative comments about the SDAFF in the original post. It's ironic, because I now work for them! In fact, I'm in the programming department...

Deaddevilman
01-10-2004, 04:06 AM
You're working for Arnold right?

Paff
01-10-2004, 08:33 AM
You're working for Arnold right?

The Programming Director is named Arnold, yes. That the Arnold you mean? Or are you talking about the Governator?