PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me find the original 'Ring' VCD???

Peter Vincent
10-09-2002, 08:57 PM
U guys seem to be pretty knowledgable about where to find import stuff really cheap! I was just wondering if one of U kind sirs can help 'ol Pete hear find The Ring on VCD real cheap. I've read it has English subtitles as well.

I know, I know, it doesn't compare to DVD, but I haven't read good things about the DVD either (transfer wise) + I'm not region-free at this time. I'm getting to see the Dreamworks' Ring and kinda wanted to do a comparison.

I didn't see it on ddhouse.com! Help, I'd like to keep it under $10 if at all possible!

KillerCannabis
10-10-2002, 12:39 PM
I got a bootleg DVD from Kim's Video ( www.kimsvideo.com ) for only $16 when I was in NYC. Its 16X9, even though its not a great transfer, its soooo worth having on DVD. One of the best flicks I've seen in ages.

Shannafey
10-11-2002, 03:06 AM
www.yumyumanime.com has the Region 0 dvd too. Heck with the vcd!!

Peter Vincent
10-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Shannafey
www.yumyumanime.com has the Region 0 dvd too. Heck with the vcd!!

$19.99! Yikes! Is this a bootleg or the real deal? I heard there is no "official" Region 0 The Ring.

Shannafey
10-11-2002, 07:05 PM
Peter, we've had this debate on the forum before. In all honesty, I don't know, but I have bought 4 dvds from them, and they are excellent quality, the dvds are professionally labeled, no stamp on label. The covers are beautiful, so I can't tell you, but they are a good respectable company, and they are pretty local to you, since they are in Orlando. I have bought from them at collectibles shows, and that's how I got their site. As a matter of fact, if you want to take a drive to one, the company that put on the show I went to, is going to put them on in Orlando too. I am sure yumyum will be there, and you can look at the dvds and even view them. www.cccpromotions.com Check them out for the shows.

jeffschmidt
10-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Sure, it's bare-bones, but the only complaint I have with my bootleg region 0 Ring DVD is that the subtitles are in white & they become invisible fairly often due to lots of white in the movie. Anyone else notice this?

Anyway, I'm just glad I finally saw it before the US remake comes out. I think the US remake might be even better than the original. Blasphemy? We'll see in a little bit...

rxfiend
10-12-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by jeffschmidt
Sure, it's bare-bones, but the only complaint I have with my bootleg region 0 Ring DVD is that the subtitles are in white & they become invisible fairly often due to lots of white in the movie. Anyone else notice this?

i noticed it as well. it's really bad during some points in R2. however, i recently got Ring 0 R0 dvd and the subtitles were removable and very easy to see!

also, these "bootleg" dvds are all anamorphic! i thought that was kind of odd since i've never seen a bootleg dvd being anamorphic until i got these.

KillerCannabis
10-12-2002, 09:42 PM
Yea, my Ring bootleg is anamorphic, which is the plus. On the minus side, the subtitles can be a bitch to read sometimes. Hopefully if the remake does well, it'll get a nice spankin' new R1 SE real soon.

ScaryMovieFreak
10-12-2002, 09:54 PM
I thought that Region 0 release was an official release? I bought mine a couple of months ago. Oh well, the subtitles are hard to read at times but I still enjoyed the movie.

rxfiend
10-19-2002, 06:11 AM
for those interested, "Rasen" (aka The Spiral) is now on R0/NTSC dvd. most likely put out by the same bootleggers. For those that do not know, "Rasen" is a sequel to the Ring. It came out in theatres the very same time as The Ring. unfortunately it didn't do well, thus Ring 2 ignores it. but, Rasen does follow the book of the same name, as Ring 2 does not follow any (it was written by the director and writer, i think, of the first film and has nothing to do with the books).

mcchrist
10-19-2002, 07:07 AM
Yeah, there's also a Korean "sequel" as well. What is it, Ring 0: Happy Birthday, or something. Too broke to even consider the original yet. Also, isn't there "Ring Virus"? I'm not too familiar.

rxfiend
10-19-2002, 07:53 AM
"Ring Virus" is the korean remake.

the japanese movies are: Ring, Rasen, Ring 2 and Ring 0: Birthday.

mcchrist
10-21-2002, 01:25 PM
Well, I just found this, so I don't know how reliable they are:

www.clubvcd.com

Its basically like netflix, except its vcd's. I brought it up because they do have something interesting related to The Ring. they have The Ring TV series (12 episodes) as a box set, apparently they sell their VCD's as well. The TV series is $49.99, the movie is $16.99.

McBride_01
10-21-2002, 11:10 PM
RING's subtitles are rather annoying at times. I'm not sure what version I have, I have it dubbed from one of the discs.

I don't think we'll see a R1 release any time soon because Hollywood won't want their version to be overshadowed. Just a theory. :(