PDA

View Full Version : Horror Animation / Anime

KillerQ
10-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Hey all..

I was wondering if, in your opinion, there are any really well-done animated / anime fils out there that are pretty effective as horror flicks... maybe even suspense, as opposed to only action...

Thanks,

Matt

DefJeff
10-09-2002, 08:37 PM
I guess you could call Vampire Hunter D anime-horror. That one's top notch, one of the best Animes ever in my opinon. Just stay away from the sequal, which blew compaired to the originial.

KillerQ
10-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Which one is the sequal? This one?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=40164481&loc=107

What's the difference that turns you off? Is it actually a sequal? Or just a remake?

Are they both buy the guy who did ninja scroll? Or just the "remake"?

Thanks,

Matt

Paff
10-09-2002, 09:06 PM
That's Bloodlust, the semi-sequel to Vampire Hunter D

It's not a sequel per se in that it continues the Vampire Hunter D story, but instead is just another VHD story. It's neither sequel nor remake, just another film.

Which one is better is debatable. Bloodlust didn't "blow", but I do think the story of the first one is a little better. But the animation in Bloodlust is amazing.

The first one is not at all hard to find, I think it's still in print from Urban Vision Entertainment.

Get both!

Other good horror Anime? Hmm, I've heard good things about Blood: The Last Vampire but I've yet to see it. The series Hellsing is another good vampire story (FYI: Anime series tend to have better stories with lesser animation, the movies are the opposite)

Probably the best suspenseful Anime I've seen is Perfect Blue:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/pb/

For out-and-out weirdness try Serial Experiments:Lain or Boogiepop Phantom. I've seen all of Lain, and an episode of Boogiepop. It's weird, trust me.

If you like good Twilight Zone-y ironic stories, you might wanna try Pet Shop of Horrors:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/poh/

One of the reasons horror Anime hasn't clicked with me is that it's heavily based in Japanese mythology of gods and demons. Even the vampire stories are (like Vampire Princess Miyu). Very little straight-forward horror, with maybe Perfect Blue as the exception.

There's a lot of good stuff in the Anime world, and your wallet will not be happy if you develop a taste for it.

Shannafey
10-09-2002, 09:08 PM
I am just going to reaffirm what everyone is saying. I am not an anime fan, but I love the Vampire Hunter D films, and Perfect Blue is like an anime Argento film, wonderful movie!!

KillerQ
10-09-2002, 09:11 PM
Hello..

Yea, I have seen Ninja Scroll a million times, it's mesmerizing to me. I love the detail that goes into the artwork, so any film with a decent plot adds to the bonus. I just ordered the Bloodlust version of VHD. Since i am not comparing it too the first, i am sure i will love it. I may even think it's better than the original installment. I just want to make sure that the $17 i laid out for the SE was a good deal...

Thanks,

Matt

BloodMan
10-09-2002, 09:50 PM
check out Perfect Blue... Wow!!!

cheers!!!
:) :) :) :)

y2doublet
10-09-2002, 10:16 PM
I can only concur with what everyone says. I'm not too wandered in the field of anime but you could do much worse than to start with the visual feasts that are Ninja Scroll and Perfect Blue. Whereas Ninja Scroll is over-the-top action and gore, Perfect Blue is more subtle and chilling. Both are visually stunning, and even though both are a bit too banal in the story-department for my taste at the end of the day, the excellent pacing and cinematography make more than up for it.

Another one that really stuck with me is Wicked City. Also a completely inane storyline and dialogue (and worthless dubbing but the DVD has the original track) but the old-school animation style is awesome. Its visuals has a very 80's neon and glittery vibe contrasted with surreal demons and settings. It's like Clive Bark did urban anime interpreted with his sense for the absurd and grotesque. Check it out!

Lindane
10-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Also, check out Devil Man and Biohunter too. Those are pretty decent "horror anime" flicks

aoiookami
10-10-2002, 02:59 AM
devilman is cool, and I love 'amon; apocalypse of devilman' the oav sequal, its very gory, and has some crazy fights, too bad its only 45 mins and is only availible on region 0 or 2, you also should know quite a bit about the storyline if you want to understand it...unless youre just there to enjoy the ride ;)

...perfect blue is also awsome, but very strange and confusing. wicked city and demon city shinjuku are some good ones too from madhouse, the same team that did ninja scroll, perfect blue and vamp. hunter d. bloodlust. I guess anything by Kawajiri is good horror anime

and to my knowledge, vampire hunter d bloodlust is not a sequal, its a totally new story that operates on its own, and has nothing to do with the first one other than the fact D is in it..its based off Kikuchi's vol. 3 of the comic series that essentially is a totally seperate storyline, only D is the main character. it is also superiror to the original in animation quality, plot, music and action. hell, the beautiful opening shot alone is better than the original:p

KillerCannabis
10-10-2002, 11:41 AM
I'm a big fan of the VHD series and IMO Bloodlust is superior to the original, which is also very good. I've never seen anything else so many of these suggestions will be taken into account for me to check out.

Atmims
10-10-2002, 06:24 PM
I really liked Urotsukidoji and Vampire Hunter D. Perfect Blue was pretty good but too weird. If you like Madhouse's animated movies Cyber City Oedo is excellent. It's a sci-fi movie, not horror.

Finally If you like Japanese animation, horror or Sci-Fi. you absoulutely must play the Sega CD game Snatcher. Snatcher is without a doubt the greatest adventure game ever made. If you look on the internet you can find an emulator and the game files but It's not perfectly emulated yet.
Adrian